What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Autopilot "trim fault" errors

iamtheari

Well Known Member
This has only happened on one flight. It was the first flight after I rebooted from enabling the G3X autopilot flight control system monitoring. See this thread for that feature announcement: https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=199025

On the ground, while taxiing, I got an alert message "Pitch Servo trim fault." Later, the "Roll servo trim fault" warning came up. These were intermittent on the ground and in flight. The autopilot worked correctly and both manual and automatic trim worked normally.

During the next flight, I did not see any warnings like this.

I can't find "trim fault" in the G3X Touch manual so I don't know what conditions can raise those warnings. Does anyone have a list of things to rule out?

<SNIP>Still happening and still no clue why. Am I the only one? I emailed Garmin a week or two ago and haven’t heard back.

Last edited by a moderator:
I get a flap fault sometimes that Im not really sure why but not trim. My elevator trim tab display on the g3x is not accurate. On my walk around for pre flight I make sure it is even with the elevator.

Good luck finding the issue.

Make sure these roll/pitch trim servo functions are disabled.

Attachments

• Trim.JPG
    Trim.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 329
Trim Fault

This has only happened on one flight. It was the first flight after I rebooted from enabling the G3X autopilot flight control system monitoring. See this thread for that feature announcement: https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=199025

On the ground, while taxiing, I got an alert message "Pitch Servo trim fault." Later, the "Roll servo trim fault" warning came up. These were intermittent on the ground and in flight. The autopilot worked correctly and both manual and automatic trim worked normally.

During the next flight, I did not see any warnings like this.

I can't find "trim fault" in the G3X Touch manual so I don't know what conditions can raise those warnings. Does anyone have a list of things to rule out?

The TRIM FAULT message is displayed when both trim inputs (up/down, left/right) are active at the same time. Since it is intermittent, there is likely an wiring issue. Not knowing how your trim switches are installed, it is hard to say where this may be. Feel free to email us at [email protected], with the details of your trim switch wiring, and we can help you work through the problem.

Thanks,

Justin

The TRIM FAULT message is displayed when both trim inputs (up/down, left/right) are active at the same time. Since it is intermittent, there is likely an wiring issue. Not knowing how your trim switches are installed, it is hard to say where this may be. Feel free to email us at [email protected], with the details of your trim switch wiring, and we can help you work through the problem.

Thanks,

Justin

Justin: Thanks. I sent an e-mail with that information.

Did this ever get resolved?

I have the same issue “pitch servo trim fault”. Intermittent yet very visible when in configuration mode and looking at pitch servo. Even on the ground it goes between red x and green check.
Autopilot seems to work but the fault message is a nuance. I assume it is seeing a problem.
Thoughts

Trim Fault

Mark,

Is this a new installation or a new problem on an old installation?

Thanks,

Justin

Frustrated - Reviving this Thread

I continue to have pitch trim & roll trim fault messages. I sent my logs to Garmin and they see nothing, yet i still get the message. Everything works fine but the constant messages are a nuisance. Has anyone experienced this and found a solution - on a prior post Justin suggests a wring issue. Not sure where to start on that one . . . Thanks!

I seem to recall that the answer was to turn off the AFCS monitoring feature. That feature becoming available and me turning it on was when the issue started and turning it off coincided with the issue going away. Evidently this monitoring feature was intended for certified installations and experimental planes are hit-and-miss with it. I've left it off and flown plenty in the past year without seeing another trim fault.

Back