What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3X Software Releases?

Since I just got my avionics, Murphy's law says they must obviously be busy working to release the G4X soon :)

Since I just got my avionics, Murphy's law says they must obviously be busy working to release the G4X soon :)

Heh-heh. I'm holding out on buying my displays just in case. Hopefully I'll get this thing done sooner and whatever version exists when I need them will still work with the other components I already have/have installed :D

Not much changed:

Change History
Changes made from version 9.00 to 9.01:

Add Garmin Pressure Transducer (GPT) sensors support

Changes made from version 8.92 to 9.00:

[lots of stuff]

GPT Sensor Support

Not much changed:

Change History
Changes made from version 9.00 to 9.01:

Add Garmin Pressure Transducer (GPT) sensors support

Changes made from version 8.92 to 9.00:

[lots of stuff]

Good Afternoon,

SW v9.01 was a maintenance update, released to support new pressure sensors, as part of our ongoing efforts to deal with supply chain constraints.

Thanks,

Justin

v9.12 is out. The G3X Team is alive! ;)

https://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=8901

Changes made from version 9.01 to 9.12:

Add optional audio alert for high-airspeed condition
Add optional audio alert when reaching safe altitude after takeoff
Add optional audio alert when approaching VNAV profile
Add optional CAS reminder to check baro setting when on the ground
Add ability to disable ESP by holding AP DISC button for 5 seconds
Add ability to configure GPS integrity for GTX xx5R transponders
Add support for additional RS-232 formats for GTX xx5R transponders
Add automatic IGRF data update from navigation database
Improve GSA28 hardware monitoring
Improve traffic audio alerts
Improve Smart Glide operation and glide range ring
Improve transponder behavior when STBY mode is selected before takeoff
Improve visibility of selected track/heading lines on map
Improve functionality of GEA 24 backup RS-232 connection
Improve EIS configuration and calibration
Improve ESP operation
Improve flight plan Leg ESA data field
Improve local time data fields
Improve chart display
Improve radio tuning
Improve data logging
Improve airspace alerting
Improve diagnostic pages
Improve LRU software update process
Improve MapMX RS-232 interface
Improve map display of TFR, NOTAM, and obstacle data
Correct display of winds aloft magnitude for FIS-B sources
General improvements to system operation
Includes update to G5 software version 8.16
Includes update to G5 boot block software version 2.30
Includes update to GDL5x software version 2.19
Includes update to GMU11 software version 2.20
Includes update to GMU11 boot block software version 2.10
Includes update to GSA28 software version 5.20/2.50
Includes update to GSU25/B software version 4.40
Includes update to GSU25/B boot block software version 2.30
Includes update to GSU25C/D software version 2.90
Includes update to GSU25C/D boot block software version 2.10
Includes update to GTR20/200 software version 3.50
Includes update to GTR20/200 boot block software version 2.40
Includes update to audio database version 2.80
Includes update to timezone database version 31.00
Includes GAD13 software version 2.10
Includes GAD13 boot block software version 2.00
Includes GAD27 software version 2.70
Includes GAD27 boot block software version 2.30
Includes GAD29 software version 3.40
Includes GAD29 boot block software version 3.10
Includes GAD29C/D software version 2.10
Includes GAD29C/D boot block software version 2.00
Includes GDL39 software version 4.91
Includes GEA24 software version 3.90
Includes GEA24 boot block software version 2.20
Includes GI260 software version 2.80
Includes GI260 boot block software version 2.20
Includes GMA245 audio software version 2.20
Includes GMA245 Bluetooth software version 2.00
Includes GMA245 software version 2.80
Includes GMA245 boot block software version 2.30
Includes GMC507 software version 3.10
Includes GMC507 boot block software version 2.30
Includes GPS20A software version 2.40
Includes GPS20A boot block software version 2.10
Includes GSA28 boot block software version 2.20/2.10
Includes GSU73 software version 3.80

ESA Understanding

Recent flight South Florida to Gatlinburg wanted to try out ESA. To my surprise ESA altitude came up 8,900. Max sectional chart MEF is 7,000. I understand Garmin has the right to determine what they consider a safe height but seems after more than 50 years of MEF we could have something a little more realistic (And safe). I'm assuming they are using some sort of offshoot of their own grid MORA's which specify "highest elevation plus 1,000 ft" across the ten miles (statute?) of an active flight plan left and right or direct-to. This would make the ESA in the high 7,000's not high 8,000's. It does not seem Garmin is using their own ultra conservative definition. Seems important to explain and understand this. Anyone know the answer? Seems using MEF 10 miles to the left and right would be a good (And understood starting point) Maybe an option to change to 5 miles left and right? With current GPS technology capably of placing us +/- 10 ft we could take advantage of this technology. Somehow it seems manually pulling up charts and using MEF's seems outdated.

Attachments

• ESA.jpg
    ESA.jpg
    180.1 KB · Views: 48
OROCA

Looks like it is displaying the Off-route obstruction clearance altitude (OROCA) from the IFR LO enroute chart.

Chuck

Emergency Safe Altitude (ESA)

From the FAA Glossary:

https://www.faa.gov/Air_Traffic/publications/atpubs/pcg_html/glossary-m.html

"MINIMUM SAFE ALTITUDE (MSA)-

a. The minimum altitude specified in 14 CFR Part 91 for various aircraft operations.

b. Altitudes depicted on approach charts which provide at least 1,000 feet of obstacle clearance for emergency use. These altitudes will be identified as Minimum Safe Altitudes or Emergency Safe Altitudes and are established as follows:

1. Minimum Safe Altitude (MSA).
Altitudes depicted on approach charts which provide at least 1,000 feet of obstacle clearance within a 25-mile radius of the navigation facility, waypoint, or airport reference point upon which the MSA is predicated. MSAs are for emergency use only and do not necessarily assure acceptable navigational signal coverage.

2. Emergency Safe Altitude (ESA).
Altitudes depicted on approach charts which provide at least 1,000 feet of obstacle clearance in non-mountainous areas and 2,000 feet of obstacle clearance in designated mountainous areas within a 100-mile radius of the navigation facility or waypoint used as the ESA center. These altitudes are normally used only in military procedures and are identified on published procedures as “Emergency Safe Altitudes.”"​

Garmin MSA

Looks like it is displaying the Off-route obstruction clearance altitude (OROCA) from the IFR LO enroute chart.

Chuck

Chuck you are correct it does look like they are using OROCA but their definition of ESA states "The recommended minimum altitude within ten miles left or right of desired course on an active flight plan or direct to." Can they be using a specific OROCA for the 20-mile path or the OROCA for that entire area that covers the flight path? Garmin also uses MSA which they state as the highest elevation reference point within 10 miles plus 1,000 ft. I am not able to confirm that this data is correct. I'm seeing a MSA around my home airport of 2,700 ft and that would mean there is "something" at 1,700 ft. There is a tower at 16 NM but nothing within 10 NM.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-17 194251.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-06-17 194251.jpg
    739.5 KB · Views: 34
MEF

From the FAA Glossary:

https://www.faa.gov/Air_Traffic/publications/atpubs/pcg_html/glossary-m.html

"MINIMUM SAFE ALTITUDE (MSA)-

a. The minimum altitude specified in 14 CFR Part 91 for various aircraft operations.

b. Altitudes depicted on approach charts which provide at least 1,000 feet of obstacle clearance for emergency use. These altitudes will be identified as Minimum Safe Altitudes or Emergency Safe Altitudes and are established as follows:

1. Minimum Safe Altitude (MSA).
Altitudes depicted on approach charts which provide at least 1,000 feet of obstacle clearance within a 25-mile radius of the navigation facility, waypoint, or airport reference point upon which the MSA is predicated. MSAs are for emergency use only and do not necessarily assure acceptable navigational signal coverage.

2. Emergency Safe Altitude (ESA).
Altitudes depicted on approach charts which provide at least 1,000 feet of obstacle clearance in non-mountainous areas and 2,000 feet of obstacle clearance in designated mountainous areas within a 100-mile radius of the navigation facility or waypoint used as the ESA center. These altitudes are normally used only in military procedures and are identified on published procedures as “Emergency Safe Altitudes.”"​

Agreed but the point is Garmin uses a different definition of MSA which they don't seem to be following.

Back