What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternatives to aluminum tubing?

tsnevo

Hello all,
Did any of you decide to install other type of fuel lines ? Flexible ones maybe?
I would like to know the options, better or worse...
Thanks,
Tsachy Nevo.

Flexible once have to be replaced periodically. Aluminum once in none vibration environments last longer then a lifetime.

Flexible once are more expensive. Aluminum once are dirt cheap if you make them yourself.

Aluminum once are more difficult to fabricate.

Flexible once work in high vibration environments (e.g. attached to engine).

You could also use stainless steel which allows for high vibration use but are more difficult to make and weigh more.

There is probably more…

Oliver

Hello all,
Did any of you decide to install other type of fuel lines ? Flexible ones maybe?
I would like to know the options, better or worse...
Thanks,
Tsachy Nevo.

Shalom Tsachy, which Al tubes did you want to replace with hose? As you probably know, fuel delivery issues due to design changes are a frequent cause of engine stoppage in homebuilt aircraft. I'd take care with any changes like that. You really want that system to be perfect.

FYI... I too would like to use the mentioned prefabbed lines. However, I contacted Van's and they said they would NOT authorize their use for a ELSA build. Why ???

likely

Likely can't change them because it is an ELSA and has to be built exactly to plan. "Authorizing" them would probably require changing the specs for the already approved ELSA with the government...

If the reason for the change is the perceived challenge of getting them right...the fuel lines seem daunting at first - I had to make the first on 4 times I think. They give you plenty of fuel line to screw up quite a bit. Just practice with it a bit and you'll get pretty good at it and be making beautiful lines in no time. Toughest part to me was figuring out how to get it in the bending tool at the exact right spot to give me the bend in the right spot (and of course, don't forget the end pieces before you flare them).

That first one though is the biggest bugger and required some delicate hand bending due to the closeness of the end - used those bending springs on amazon. Gets much easier from there - still have to finesse them in then but that's not all that hard.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004T827/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What rigid tubes are you having issues with, or wanting to change? These?
Understand that -6 teflon hose doesnt like to bend as tight as a tube, although tighter than you think. And, due tothe configurations of some of these tubes, doing them in hose would be 'challenging' to say it nicely.

Rigid tubes per the plans can be done. Take your time, lot of practice even for a builder thats well versed in bending and flaring.

Tom

Attachments

• RV-12iS Pre Flared Tube Kit.jpg
    RV-12iS Pre Flared Tube Kit.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 76
Even if you did use Flightline Specialty’s fuel lines, it doesn’t include the looooong F-12127D line, which is the most complex to fabricate. So, you’d still need to sharpen your bending and flaring skills.

Even if you did use Flightline Specialty’s fuel lines, it doesn’t include the looooong F-12127D line, which is the most complex to fabricate. So, you’d still need to sharpen your bending and flaring skills.

That's an optional one. It's in the popup.

FYI... I too would like to use the mentioned prefabbed lines. However, I contacted Van's and they said they would NOT authorize their use for a ELSA build. Why ???

Not sure this is true, they make them with the same material as well as the same AN sleeves and nuts. They just use a CNC tube bender so they are super nice. I made my own and they are nearly as nice, Just takes a little skill and time to get them right. No rule that i know of in the ELSA world that wont allow you to have a part made Exactly how it was designed by vans with the same spec materials.

To receive the documentation required to license and fly an E-LSA aircraft, including FAA form 8130-15 Light Sport Aircraft Statement of Compliance, the following statement must be true and signed:
I certify that I have received a complete RV-12 E-LSA kit from Van’s Aircraft, Inc. No components have been deleted, returned or altered. The aircraft will be assembled in accordance with Van’s building instructions.
Signed _______________________ Date ____________
-
There is no rule prohibiting others from making the fuel lines as long as they use Van's supplied materials.

I certify that I have received a complete RV-12 E-LSA kit from Van’s Aircraft, Inc. No components have been deleted, returned or altered. The aircraft will be assembled in accordance with Van’s building instructions.
Signed _______________________ Date ____________
-
There is no rule prohibiting others from making the fuel lines as long as they use Van's supplied materials.

Certainly don't disagree with that, however, in the real world many of us have sourced replacement aluminum fuel tubing to "reconstruct" various components we messed up the first time. (I'm much better at bending tubes now ;) )

I truly think the Flightline Specialty’s fuel lines are probably better than ones an ameture can make. However, I DID contact Van's... here is that exchange:

SENT: "Aircraft Specialities (Flightline) offers prefabricated rigid fuel line kits for the RV-12iS.* Would using these void my ability to register my plane as ELSA because I did not purchase them from Van's?* If so, would Van’s authorize using this product?"

RECEIVED: "I am afraid this is something that a DAR might disqualify you for ELSA if found. Having never used these in our design or having tested them we would not be able to offer you any authorization to do so."

Additionally, Van's uses 3003 tubing for fuel lines and Flightline uses 5052 (used in certified aircraft I believe). So, they do not use the same material as others have stated.

I am hoping a DAR will chime in on this topic!

TRUE---we use 5052O tubing versus 3003O that is Vans supplied. BUT, the assemblies are made to fit the locations. NO, they are not builder made so that is a gray area. BUT---if they are installed on the bulkhead for inspection, I'll bet the DAR might not even give them a second glance---or even know they are 5052O.
Yes----the intent of the regulation is that all the parts be supplied by Vans and assemblied to their plans. In that respect, we 'could' make them for clients from 3003O and meet the intent of the regulation.

As for the F12127D tube, yep we build them, but its a long tube and takes some 'doing' to install, and some builder fabrication.

Tom

Since the E-LSA rules allow for anyone to do the building and assemble work of an E-LSA aircraft ( you can even pay someone to build your kit for you), it would not matter where the lines were sourced.
What does matter (as already mentioned) is whether they were made as dictated by the KAI.

Arguments aside of whether one is better than the other, if the material they are made from doesn't match what is supplied in the kit, then the parts would make the aircraft ineligible for E_LSA certification.

Back