What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin Aviation Database Manager Error

JoopSJ

Well Known Member
I have just purchased a Garmin Pilot Pak for my G3X/GTN.
Trying to download the databases the Database Manager shows the error "unrecoverable error"
There no way I can get the download software to work.
Tried two laptops.
Using windows 10.
Any suggestions.
(I have send an email .. response might take 3 days they say...

Perhaps not directly applicable to you because you're running the Windows version, but I had a similar kind of issue last year on the Mac version which was resolved by clearing the download cache directory mentioned in the app's preferences.

- mark

That Garmin Update Software is buggy. It refuses to run on my Dell laptop PC, I get a script error and I have tried many things to get it to run. However, it will run on my kid's all in one desktop PC. So if you have access to another PC try that (I know you said you tried 2 laptops). I also tried Garmin tech (email) support.

(I even tried wiping the HD on my laptop and reloading Windows 10 - so it is like new ) - Still would not run that Garmin Update Software

Last edited:
GADM

That Garmin Update Software is buggy. It refuses to run on my Dell laptop PC, I get a script error and I have tried many things to get it to run. However, it will run on my kid's all in one desktop PC. So if you have access to another PC try that (I know you said you tried 2 laptops). I also tried Garmin tech (email) support and it was 100% useless.

(I even tried wiping the HD on my laptop and reloading Windows 10 - so it is like new ) - Still would not run that Garmin Update Software

There are only a few requirements you would need to succesfully run the Garmin Aviation Database Manager:

• Windows 10 or higher
  • Microsoft .NET 4 (included)
  • 1 GB RAM

Does you computer meet these?

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks all for the replies.
Just received an answer from Garmin UK.
It seems in my profile there is no serial number entered for the G3X. That is why it failed.
Thanks again.

There are only a few requirements you would need to succesfully run the Garmin Aviation Database Manager:

• Windows 10 or higher
  • Microsoft .NET 4 (included)
  • 1 GB RAM

Does you computer meet these?

Thanks,

Justin

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the laptop meets all those requirements. It used to run the Jepp program fine, but it will not run the Garmin update software. No worries though I am able to update though another PC in the house. I emailed back and froth with Garmin tech support and the issue was never solved.

It gives me this following error below: (If you have any insight? - looks like a mess to me?)

Malformed Unlock: {"deviceID":301343,"unlockCode":null,"gma":null,"gca":null} at Function.parse (C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Garmin Aviation Database Manager\resources\app.asar\dist\out-tsc\electron\src\flyGarmin\model\unlock.js:34:19) at C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Garmin Aviation Database Manager\resources\app.asar\dist\out-tsc\electron\src\flyGarmin\service\flygarmin-client.js:368:102 at Array.map (<anonymous>) at FlyGarminClient.getDeviceUnlocks (C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Garmin Aviation Database Manager\resources\app.asar\dist\out-tsc\electron\src\flyGarmin\service\flygarmin-client.js:367:43) at FlyGarminClient.<anonymous> (C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Garmin Aviation Database Manager\resources\app.asar\dist\out-tsc\electron\src\flyGarmin\service\flygarmin-client.js:307:44) at Generator.next (<anonymous>) at fulfilled (C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\Garmin Aviation Database Manager\resources\app.asar\node_modules\tslib\tslib.js:114:62) at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:97:5)

sometimes

Sometimes you must run the application as an administrator. Not sure in this case but thought I would throw it out there...

GADM Unrecoverable Errors

Well,

- my computer meets all requirements
- I've tried it on another computer
- I've run it as administrator
- I've tried using a blank, formatted SD card
- my GPS175 serial number is correct
- the "older update method" doesn't appear to be on flygarmin anymore

and the Aviation Database Manager still has numerous "Unrecoverable Errors" while "Obtaining Update Information from FlyGarmin..." as soon as the license agreement appears. If I keeping clicking OK and NO, I can eventually get to the "Insert SD Card" screen. While I can download updates to the computer, the each database says "Install Pending" with a spinning wheel while overall installation progress remains stuck on 50% all day...every day.

Does anybody have any other ideas or experience?

Thanks,
2010 RV-7

Does anybody have any other ideas or experience?

I've had issues when using an external SD card reader (ie. something like this).

I eventually traced it to the fact that the card reader was not externally powered. I got one that had it's own dedicated power cord and have had better luck ever since.

Having said that, the Garmin Aviation Database Manager is not what I would describe as a high quality piece of software. Issues of the kind you're describing aren't exactly rare.

--Ron

Long FAT 32 Format the SD Card

When formatting the SD card, there is a quick format and a long format. I forget what it is called exactly, like full format or something. I think you get to it via right clicking on the card, then format, and then whatever its called. This does take about half an hour to do. But I have found using the long FAT32 format was required to get the data to load reliably.

Good luck.

SD Cards

Oh, I see. I tried another new card and only fast formatted it. I'll try the slow method next.

Is there anything wrong with using the [GARMN GPS175/GNX375/GNC355, Database. Americas 010-02090-02] that came with the GPS?

Thanks!
Chris

Version

I have tried a lot of things...
In the end it only worked after using the newest version of the GADM.
The version I am using now is 22.9.1
I believe it is only released a month or so ago.

Also:
Don't use the GADM directly, but always start on the web fly.garmin.com

I have tried a lot of things...
In the end it only worked after using the newest version of the GADM.
The version I am using now is 22.9.1
I believe it is only released a month or so ago.

Also:
Don't use the GADM directly, but always start on the web fly.garmin.com

Guess what it was? Absence of a config module.

I didn't think I needed it, but once when Garmin said I needed it to stop getting "GPS needs Service" messages, connecting it seemed to population the system ID with a different number that locked the databases out. A call to G3X got it changed and all is right in the world again.

Step-by-step instructions in a "Garmin Installation for Dummies (like me)" would be nice.

Thanks all!

I too get the unrecoverable error

I've used flygarmin for several years with no issues.
Tonight I am getting the 'unrecoverable error' message when I try to update my databases.
Running MacOS Ventura 13.0

Still seems to work on an older machine running MacOS 11.7

Disappointed I have to come to VAF to report this because I can't find an email address for support on the Garmin www site.

Is this a MacOS 13.0 issue?

I've used flygarmin for several years with no issues.
Tonight I am getting the 'unrecoverable error' message when I try to update my databases.
Running MacOS Ventura 13.0

Still seems to work on an older machine running MacOS 11.7

Disappointed I have to come to VAF to report this because I can't find an email address for support on the Garmin www site.

Is this a MacOS 13.0 issue?

ON https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/, there is a header that announces incompatibility with MacOS Ventura.

The email you want is probably [email protected]

I emailed them about this problem and got a noncommittal answer that they're working on it. I'm not sure they knew about the problem till receiving emails from customers.

This screw-em-up is definitely costing brownie points...

Don't get me started about their manuals.

On the other hand, had a great flight this morning, shot an ILS with the G3X Touch and it easily did everything I needed it to.

Fixed!

I just experienced the same issue on my Dell laptop, so I was looking at this thread. I called Garmin support (Saturday afternoon), and amazingly the guy had the answer immediately. He said to open an internet browser and Google search for Microsoft C++ Redistributable 2015, then download the appropriate .exe file for my system. Mine is a 64 bit laptop, so I downloaded the x86 version. I ran the vc_redist.x86.exe and suddenly the Garmin Aviation Database Manager works! Hopefully this helps someone else too.

THANK YOU !

Wow, the last posting was the magic solution. I absolutely hate the new database manager as it is buggy. Our other hangar computer would not run the new database manager so we procured one that runs Windows 10 and then I got the Javascript error. Tried to reinstall a few times, searched Garmin's FAQ to no avail and submitted a support ticket. Then I found this thread :D

I just experienced the same issue on my Dell laptop, so I was looking at this thread. I called Garmin support (Saturday afternoon), and amazingly the guy had the answer immediately. He said to open an internet browser and Google search for Microsoft C++ Redistributable 2015, then download the appropriate .exe file for my system. Mine is a 64 bit laptop, so I downloaded the x86 version. I ran the vc_redist.x86.exe and suddenly the Garmin Aviation Database Manager works! Hopefully this helps someone else too.
I spent about 5 hours reformatting my Hangar laptop... twice... trying to get this to work. Thank you very much for your comment here; finally saved my day.

Extremely simple using an old XP laptop and a thumb drive, no apps to download just download the .exe files and windows xp or any version will run the file and load it onto your Garmin data card, takes all of 15 miniutes. If anyone else doesnt own a new win 10 pc and wants to use a good old simple xp laptop, heres how I did it. Downloaded the manual installable files directly onto my samsung phone and transfered them to a cheap 15 dollar dual sided usb-C to usb-3.1 thumb drive, than to the old xp laptop. Once on the laptop just run the files with the garmin update card inserted and it does its thing, than went to the plane and did the update.

Attachments

• 93349DC8-0803-4059-820B-DB186A267FF5.jpeg
    93349DC8-0803-4059-820B-DB186A267FF5.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 138
  • 9B2D1168-B24F-49D6-8F0A-D256F28B9842.jpeg
    9B2D1168-B24F-49D6-8F0A-D256F28B9842.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 135
  • 955951E6-4E11-416A-8C06-4C28A2F4D6FE.jpeg
    955951E6-4E11-416A-8C06-4C28A2F4D6FE.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 125
  • 5972ABAB-3891-4CE1-AD8D-99A84083F196.jpeg
    5972ABAB-3891-4CE1-AD8D-99A84083F196.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 97B232EC-A895-460F-8DF8-6D826A76E723.jpeg
    97B232EC-A895-460F-8DF8-6D826A76E723.jpeg
    568.2 KB · Views: 119
  • E2AD60CB-C4AD-46C7-8FFD-8D62CB3FB14A.jpeg
    E2AD60CB-C4AD-46C7-8FFD-8D62CB3FB14A.jpeg
    704.2 KB · Views: 117
  • 137DA559-791B-4435-8E2D-740A4FDBF9A4.jpeg
    137DA559-791B-4435-8E2D-740A4FDBF9A4.jpeg
    966.1 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
I’ve been having issues as well and did everything listed in this thread and nothing worked - until - I followed the suggestion made by JoopSJ to start the database manager from the flygarmin website. I then successfully loaded 3 SD cards to update my dual G3X touch and GTN750 units.

Back