What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Floscan 201b

tracy

Well Known Member
Friend
My floscan 201 ,feeding the dynon 180, is getting stuck and reading zero until I tap on it. Does anyone have one they would like to sell. It appears dynon no longer sells it. Also, was wondering if the red cube is an exact fit for the existing plumbing?

Last edited:
My floscan 201 ,feeding the dynon 180, is getting stuck and reading zero until I tap on it. Does anyone have one they would like to sell. It appears dynon no longer sells it.

I have one (201) That I got with a GRT EIS package. I think it has less than 100 hours on it, but it could be new. PM me if interested.

Larry

FloScan "Sticking"

FWIW - An RV centered A&P I respect suggests a regular cleaning of the insides of the FloScan unit to avoid a problem like yours. My readings were intermittent before beginning this bi-annual treatment. Since then, same unit works just fine.

This may not be your problem - so cleaning the unit may not help you.

Other posters may chime in with their experiences re/cleaning their FloScan.

HFS

How do you clean your Floscan 201?

We've just encountered the same problem with our Fuel flow reading 0. It varied slightly when tapped on, but still not normal. You mentioned cleaning it? What was your procedure for cleaning?

Thanks!

Chris

FWIW - An RV centered A&P I respect suggests a regular cleaning of the insides of the FloScan unit to avoid a problem like yours. My readings were intermittent before beginning this bi-annual treatment. Since then, same unit works just fine.

This may not be your problem - so cleaning the unit may not help you.

Other posters may chime in with their experiences re/cleaning their FloScan.

HFS

My Flowscan 201b has been working without cleaning for 25-years. Only have 3,400 hours of operation on it.

Floscan

Yep, ours has worked for 18, no issues. Flying this morning, I saw 0.0 fuel flow, all else normal. Dreamt for a moment of how much I'd be saving on fuel with this new perpetual flying machine....:). I'd never heard of cleaning one before. Anyone ever replaced one? Looks like the floscan 201 are harder to get now, mostly replaced with the Red Cubes.

Flush with berryman b-12 chemtool fuel injector cleaner.

With everything clean, you can blow (with your mouth) through the inlet and hear & see the impeller spin free.

Last edited:
Cleaning A FloScan 201

It was recommended to me to use Hoppe's #9 gun cleaning fluid - fill the impeller cavity and gently rock back and forth, then expel the fluid and flush with avgas. It worked for me, but I kind of like the idea (offered above) of using brake cleaner instead.

There are (probably) all kinds of reasons why some of us have a "sticky" impeller that needs service once in a while, and others - not so much. But, if you do have intermittent ops, and have ruled out electrical, and upstream flow issues, there may be some relief in using this method.

YMMV - and heck, it may not even help at all!

HFS

Back