What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

poll

What flap setting do you most frequently use at touchdown?

• No Flaps

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • 10 to 15 degrees

Votes: 11 11.1%
  • Full Flaps

Votes: 86 86.9%

• Total voters

KJBSouth

Well Known Member
POLL: Landing Flap Setting

What flap setting do you routinely use on short final and touchdown?

Last edited:
What flap setting do you routinely use on short final and touchdown?

With manual flaps in my RV-6, I typically use the 3/4 setting, notch 3, full flaps, notch 4, is difficult to get above 70 KIAS in my airplane. 3/4 or 30-degree setting is not an option in your poll.

Insufficient Options.....

Put in 13° on downwind and add whatever is necessary from there.

Usually full flaps on final for my 1500' strip and dump them upon touchdown.

Manual flaps here too! 0°-13°-26°-39°

Last edited:
It depends

Technique:

Full flaps in steady lighter winds

1/2 flaps in gusty or crosswinds greater than 10 knots, less than 20 knots

0 flaps in gusty or crosswinds greater than 20 knots

A single flap deployment for me.
I put out full flaps abeam the numbers allowing me one and done trimming for flap deployment.
Last item on my landing checklist is flaps thus minimizing distractions from abeam to touchdown.
I keep it tight and fly one approach speed (on AOA gauge) til over the fence.
But I’m a Navy guy.
-Short gear -4, electric flaps.
-Always full flaps for gusty crosswinds. The flat attitude of the short gear makes half flaps and no flaps sketchy in that she’s still flying for a long time even after all three wheels are on deck.

Yep, not enough options. I have settings for 15-30 and full. I almost always use 30 unless I am training short field.

Always full flaps (manual). My hangar is off the first offramp at 700'.
Every landing is short field at my home base. Except when I need fuel.

My 7A was OK for IFR so I worked out that I could fly the glide slope at 100 KIAS down to 200' AG, cut the power, raise the nose and then deploy flaps when airspeed low enough. Did not need brakes on any runway long enough for an ILS. 100 was much nicer for flying the glide slope well and made go-arounds a lot nicer and safer, too. Delaying use of flaps until the runway was assured meant a much better go-around if that was needed.

For VFR landings, one notch was plenty. More did not allow slower speeds but did change pitch and airspeed. The airplane could not fly slower with more flaps but would slow down more quickly.

The prop was a Catto FP, btw. That made it harder to slow down than with a CS prop. So for a short field, more flaps would be potentially useful.

Back