What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Touch Feature Wish List

before the fix

before Garmin fixes this, what can we do?
Can i set the alarm at 55 psi, and then just mute /cancel it during taxi?

So i have an oil light on a pressure switch in addition to the G3X. I could set the G3X to 50 psi, and leave the switch set to the 10 or 15 psi it is now. During ground taxi, the idiot light will be off, but G3X will display "Oil Pressure".
Once i initiate take off roll, and the RPMs come up, then Garmin will stop bitching at me and all will be well. The only trouble with this is that while the Garmin master alarm is active due to low oil pressure, any other thing that goes wrong wont be recognized by the master alarm; once I throttle up, and the master alarm doesnt stop or deactivate, that could be the only time I will know some else is wrong.

Last edited:
This would be a HIGHLY desirable feature!
I've run into this multiple time when I have to set the lower OP limit below what is normally recommended to prevent nuisance alarms/warnings.

I have a post asking for this a couple of years ago. GRT has it on my 6 and miss it very much on the 10.

One more on my list, new item first:

1. "Alert Source" should let me choose to send alerts from the PFD and MFD or to change the priority order of the alert source to MFD first. The reason for this is that I have the PFD mono output going to the GMA 245R's "failsafe alert" input so I get alerts in the event the audio panel fails, and the MFD mono output going to a different alert input since the failsafe alert input is only alive when the GMA fails.

2. Add option for discrete input to play/pause Bluetooth audio playback.

3. Add option to change Bluetooth name of GMA 245R.

4. Show VOR communication boxes in waypoint information page.

3 Hall effect current inputs for 2 battery g3x installation

G3X only supports 2 hall effect current inputs. I have a two battery and single alternator system and want to display all three currents. Any solution?

Checklist

Have the option in the Electronic Checklist that a certain point which you validate would automatically transfer you to another Checklist.

Example:

If engine NOT recovered:
▢ Go to FORCED LANDING C/L

By clicking/confirming this point the system would open the FORCED LANDING C/L for you.

fill in missing data

G3X Touch has the capability to display weather, SIGMET and NOTAM information received via SiriusXM or 978UAT.

SiriusXM and 978UAT are unavailable outside the USA, so those features are unobtanium. Entire swarths of the G3X pilot manual are just taunting me, sitting there telling me all about wonderful features I can’t use.

On the other hand, I have a cellphone and an iPad which almost always have internet access (unless I’m in a very remote area), which are paired to the G3X system.

It would be wonderful if the G3X Touch system could use the phone or iPad as an agent to download up to date weather, SIGMET and NOTAM information which could be rendered on the displays, providing parity with what North American users have been taking for granted for years.

“Download over Bluetooth whatever I would have downloaded from the GDL52R if SiriuxXM was available in this region.”

- mark

Event Touchkey

Optional EVENT Touchkey in the DATA BAR FIELD OPTIONS. This would add an additional mark to the flight data recording. Helpful during flight testing and or post flight data evaluation.

Given a starting fuel quantity, the G3X can tell us total fuel quantity remaining by monitoring fuel flow as the flight progresses. This is great, however, I would love if the G3X could keep track of fuel quantity PER TANK, not just total fuel.

Here's how it could work: Start with the pilot inputting the fuel tank quantities and which tank is selected. Then, in conjunction with a fuel-tank switch reminder, we would input when we switch tanks.

Any chance this functionality be added in a future software update?

Agreed, this would be pretty handy

Given a starting fuel quantity, the G3X can tell us total fuel quantity remaining by monitoring fuel flow as the flight progresses. This is great, however, I would love if the G3X could keep track of fuel quantity PER TANK, not just total fuel.

Here's how it could work: Start with the pilot inputting the fuel tank quantities and which tank is selected. Then, in conjunction with a fuel-tank switch reminder, we would input when we switch tanks.

Agreed, this would be pretty handy

Cool. You could add a switch to the fuel selector and have the G3X track actual fuel burn per tank. The switch would need to be wired to an aux input.

Self calibration of fuel tank quantity sensors

I just went through the exercise of calibrating the fuel tanks. What a PITA. Why can't the G3X learn the calibration curve itself? Input the empty tank sensor reading, fill the tanks and input the full sensor reading. Tell the G3X which tank is being used, then have the G3X record sensor readings vs fuel burned during flight.

When the airplane is stabilized in level flight the G3X could add points / adjust the calibration curve. When selected tank is changed, the pilot would hit a button on G3X indicating the tank change. The resulting calibration curve(s) would represent actual flying conditions with a moving (vibrating) airplane.

This would assume the k factor for the fuel flow sensor has been adjusted properly. If you change the k factor, the G3X could adjust the calibration curve either algorithmically or by doing another calibration run.

For adjusting ground vs flying (i.e. for taildraggers) measurements, calibration could be adjusted by comparing the last reading while flying verses reading after landing.

The calibration mode would require the pilot to properly input starting fuel quantity for each tank (preferably full tanks) and which tank is being used. A nice addition would be to add a fuel selector position sensor input to the G3X so the pilot wouldn't have manually indicate which tank is in use. (This could also improve tank switch alerts.)

After calibration, the G3X could monitor fuel quantity (total of all tanks) vs fuel burn. If there is a significant divergence between fuel burned and fuel quantity the G3X could provide an alert. "I notice your tanks read full but you already burned 25 gallons!!!" Discrepancies could arise because 1) a quantity sensor malfunction 2) a fuel flow sensor malfunction 3) a leak before the flow sensor 4) pilot lied about how much fuel is on board or 5) sensor wear (aging) related output changes. In any of these cases wouldn't you want to know about it?

What could go wrong?:confused:

and another

I just went through the exercise of calibrating the fuel tanks. What a PITA. Why can't the G3X learn the calibration curve itself? Input the empty tank sensor reading, fill the tanks and input the full sensor reading. Tell the G3X which tank is being used, then have the G3X record sensor readings vs fuel burned during flight.

When the airplane is stabilized in level flight the G3X could add points / adjust the calibration curve. When selected tank is changed, the pilot would hit a button on G3X indicating the tank change. The resulting calibration curve(s) would represent actual flying conditions with a moving (vibrating) airplane.

This would assume the k factor for the fuel flow sensor has been adjusted properly. If you change the k factor, the G3X could adjust the calibration curve either algorithmically or by doing another calibration run.

For adjusting ground vs flying (i.e. for taildraggers) measurements, calibration could be adjusted by comparing the last reading while flying verses reading after landing.

The calibration mode would require the pilot to properly input starting fuel quantity for each tank (preferably full tanks) and which tank is being used. A nice addition would be to add a fuel selector position sensor input to the G3X so the pilot wouldn't have manually indicate which tank is in use. (This could also improve tank switch alerts.)

After calibration, the G3X could monitor fuel quantity (total of all tanks) vs fuel burn. If there is a significant divergence between fuel burned and fuel quantity the G3X could provide an alert. "I notice your tanks read full but you already burned 25 gallons!!!" Discrepancies could arise because 1) a quantity sensor malfunction 2) a fuel flow sensor malfunction 3) a leak before the flow sensor 4) pilot lied about how much fuel is on board or 5) sensor wear (aging) related output changes. In any of these cases wouldn't you want to know about it?

from another thread:
"Open the pod bay doors Hal."
" Sorry i cant do that"

Some jurisdictions include regulations requiring fuel calibration before flight.

I think the FAA only requires fuel gauges to be accurate when the tank is empty, but some of us aren't airworthy until the gauges have been calibrated through their whole range (either via direct adjustment or by means of the addition of a correction card next to the gauge)

In my observation, avionics manufacturers tend to make it difficult to do things that'd go against the spirit and intent of regulations, even when you can see that it'd technically be possible (same reason you can't design your own instrument approaches on TSO GNSS navigators, and probably why the G3X Touch disables the visual glide slope features if you have an external navigator configured)

- mark

Heh, that’s a lot of magic. I don’t care about initial setup, I just want to track per tank, and I really don’t want an extra switch, just give me left and right fuel qty and allow me to tap on them to swap the feeding tank. Simple

I have sticky fuel senders in my Rocket. Being able to track fuel burn per tank would be really handy. Having to press a button or soft key every time I switch tanks introduces another potential pilot induced error if I switch and don’t press the button. A simple switch that pulls the signal low when one tank is selected could tell the G3X to track that particular tank. Automation is a great thing when done right.

Baro Transition Altitude Alert

The G1000 has a transition altitude alert that annunciates climbing through the transition alt to remind you to set standard.
Probably not much use in the USA for experimentals as the TA is 18k
But in Europe it’s as low as 3k and in Aus it’s 10k.
Seems like a pretty straight forward feature to add?

I wish the G3X could change flight plans on the Navigators. The IPad with ForeFlight is able to add SID, preferred routing STARS, approaches and modify active flight plans. The G3X has less capability in that sense. I need to set the unit on Internal GPS and still does not allow for standard procedures or full approaches via the IAF. Once reverting to external GPS, the flight plan is sent over the navigator but the G3X can no longer modify it.

In contrast, I can have an IPad with a 3rd party App and it will continuously allow for adding or modifying a flight plan and send it to the Navigators. A message pops up to accept the new changes. If modifying anything on the navigator, the IPad pops up a message asking if you want to accept the new routing from the navigator.

If an IPad with a 3rd party app can seamlessly work with the 375, why can't the G3X. A competitor portable device currently provides a much reduced workload and better cockpit workflow than my dual G3X touch.

I wish the G3X could integrate better and allow full crossfill to the 375. A similar process could be integrated with messages to ensure the flight plan modification are accepted prior to going into the navigator. Switching the G3X to its internal GPS makes no sense IFR and actually increases your workload. The G3X should at the very least be able to do what ForeFlight, Garmin Pilot, Aera 760 can do. All these units are a fraction of the cost of the G3X Touch.

For those thinking of getting a Dual G3X setup with the intent of one screen being used as a MFD to create, modify or activate items on your navigator, it currently does not work. You are better off with a IPad/FF setup as your second screen or perhaps the 760 which is a fraction of the cost of the G3X.

I have sent my comments to Garmin and so far dissapointed with their replied. Absolutely love my panel but sad to see an IPad FF combo being a more powerful IFR tool than my second G3X.

Hom

Has there been any further discussion on this with Garmin? Or any closing plan or resolution?
I just ordered G3X [GDU470s] and a GNX375 and would very much prefer to use the G3X rather than an iPad. Seems like a possibility in the Experimental category.

Checklist syncing between G3X screens

I would appreciate if the Checklists would sync between the screens.

Usually it is convenient for me to start the initial checklists (preflight, before start) from my PFD and continue to tick the remaining checklists on my MFD screen after engine start.

The ticked items on the PFD checklist are NOT synced to the MFD.. and vice versa.

This would be handy for training flights as well, when both pilots can x-check on their own screens whether the CL has been completed.

On the MFD display bar the option to show distance to destination to the actual destination like a cirrus. I have a GTN650 navigator and when I do a simple VFR flight plan with a destination everything is fine. However when IFR and I load an approach procedure the distance to destination is calculated off of the missed approach point and not the destination.

Also, not sure if it’s just me, but the ToD visual point does not transfer from the 650 to the g3x when using external flight plan. I see the ToD from my VNAV profile just fine in the 650. It flys the profile just fine, the ToD never shows up on the g3x map though.

However when IFR and I load an approach procedure the distance to destination is calculated off of the missed approach point and not the destination.

Me, too. I think that it is mislabeled as distance (implying straight line) to destination as opposed to distance to fly along approach, etc.

What's worse is that if you get vectored past the IAF, the distance to fly is based on going back to the IAF... I think.

On the MFD display bar the option to show distance to destination to the actual destination like a cirrus. I have a GTN650 navigator and when I do a simple VFR flight plan with a destination everything is fine. However when IFR and I load an approach procedure the distance to destination is calculated off of the missed approach point and not the destination.

Also, not sure if it’s just me, but the ToD visual point does not transfer from the 650 to the g3x when using external flight plan. I see the ToD from my VNAV profile just fine in the 650. It flys the profile just fine, the ToD never shows up on the g3x map though.

I keep my 650 Xi on the default nav page and use one of the fields for the distance to the destination airport. I think it keeps the same airport and straight-line distance shown even if I activate an approach.

When using VNAV on the 650 Xi, the TOD and BOD both show on my G3X Touch map. Do you have an Xi or original GTN? Have you updated the software on your G3X and GTN?

When using VNAV on the 650 Xi, the TOD and BOD both show on my G3X Touch map. Do you have an Xi or original GTN? Have you updated the software on your G3X and GTN?

Hi iamtheari,
Can you use G3X VNAV function if your GPS source is set to external?
On my last RV which I had a 650, I could use this function regardless of GPS source but with my new 650xi this function works if I manage the VNAV on the 650xi and on G3X only if it is set to internal. Multiple request for info from Garmin has not yielded any useful info.

VNAV Descent Legs

Hi iamtheari,
Can you use G3X VNAV function if your GPS source is set to external?
On my last RV which I had a 650, I could use this function regardless of GPS source but with my new 650xi this function works if I manage the VNAV on the 650xi and on G3X only if it is set to internal. Multiple request for info from Garmin has not yielded any useful info.

Mehrdad,

If you are following an internal flight plan, you will program VNAV descent legs on the G3X Touch.

If you are following an external flight plan, and your external navigator is a GTN with VNAV enabled, you will program VNAV descents on the GTN. If the external navigator is something like a GNX 375, which does not have enhanced descent VNAV capabilities, a simple VNAV descent is allowed to be programmed through the G3X Touch.

Thanks,

Justin

Last edited:
Mehrdad,

If you are following an internal flight plan, you will program VNAV descent legs on the G3X Touch.

If you are following an external flight plan, and your external navigator is a GTN with VNAV enabled, you will program VNAV descents on the GTN. If the external navigator is something like a GNX 375, which does not have enhanced descent VNAV capabilities, a simple VNAV descent is allowed to be programmed through the G3X Touch.

Thanks,

Justin

Thank you Justin for confirming this. Looks like this feature has been changed/removed from the 650 to 650xi since I was able to do this with my 650.
At least now I don't go continue chasing this thinking it is a wiring or configuration issue.

VNAV Enable/Disable

Thank you Justin for confirming this. Looks like this feature has been changed/removed from the 650 to 650xi since I was able to do this with my 650.
At least now I don't go continue chasing this thinking it is a wiring or configuration issue.

Mehrdad,

No change here. You likely have VNAV enabled on your GTN 650 Xi, and did not on the GTN 650. It has always worked like this. If VNAV is enabled on the external navigator, that is where you will program a VNAV descent. If VNAV is not enabled on the external navigator, you will program the VNAV descent in the G3X Touch.

Thanks,

Justin

Mehrdad,

No change here. You likely have VNAV enabled on your GTN 650 Xi, and did not on the GTN 650. It has always worked like this. If VNAV is enabled on the external navigator, that is where you will program a VNAV descent. If VNAV is not enabled on the external navigator, you will program the VNAV descent in the G3X Touch.

Thanks,

Justin
Justin,
Thank you for clarification, I see now and will give this a try. VNAV is enabled on my 650xi but I can not confirm if it was enabled on the 650 or not.

The VNAV function on the G3X is very simple and easy to use. But I can see the one that 650xi offers can be much more elaborate, especially for IFR.

Thank you for clearing this.

Manual Entry Of Final AOA Voltage Setting?

Manual Entry Of Final AOA Voltage Setting?

After you have done an inflight setting of the four AOA setting….

Which gets things pretty close to where you might like them.

It would be nice to be able to tweak the values manually….

Al

Data logging the Hobbs and Tach time

I’ve mentioned this to Garmin over a year ago. When I upload the engine data to Savvy Analysis it has all the engine parameters except for the hobbs and Tach time. I’m not sure why they didn’t add these two parameters in the first place but I know it’s really easy to add these to parameters to the rest of the parameters that is being logged.

Not a wish but just another viewpoint:
An F35 pilot gave our EAA chapter a presentation last month. He said the plane is equipped with 4 touch screens on the panel. The cool feature was that the screens react to the last spot your finger touched, namely when you lift off your finger. He said that feature was especially useful during turbulence and other extreme G flight conditions.

G3X + GI275

Just got word from Garmin that they will be coming out with software releases for the G3X Touch and GI-275 so that the two will interface albeit with limited function: they will share baro bug and provide attitude miscompare alert if the 2 ADAHRS significantly disagree. This is great news and really all the functionality I was hoping for.

Not a wish but just another viewpoint:
An F35 pilot gave our EAA chapter a presentation last month. He said the plane is equipped with 4 touch screens on the panel. The cool feature was that the screens react to the last spot your finger touched, namely when you lift off your finger. He said that feature was especially useful during turbulence and other extreme G flight conditions.

Now that is clever.
You could slide your finger over screen in turbulence and lift it off when stable on intended point.

GMC 507

Hardware related: The engaged modes on the GMC507 Autopilot Head controller would be faster / easier to read if the illuminated triangles would be in Green instead of White color. This would stand out from the backlit labels in white.

Another GMC 507

Here is an idea and a wish list for Garmin autopilot

To have the ability to set the maximum deflection (up and down) for the servos. And then have the option on G3X to be able to use that as your pre-flight control check. With a push of a button on the screen, the servo will go through the full range of motion of the control surface, which tells us not only are the controls all good to the full range, it also says that the servos are tested and functioning as normal.

CVS Export

I would like a way to download the flight data (not the Catalog) to my simple spreadsheet logbook. Thank you.

Adaptive Vne RED band

Adaptive Vne RED Band which moves down/up on the speed tape according to Vfe of current flaps selected or Vle for gear extended.

Replace the horrible Garmin Checklist Editor app on Windows with a web-based one that produces .ace files for download.

Has the advantage that it'd run without Windows, and wouldn't need to be updated when MS obsoletes the current version. Would also be suitable for other Garmin glass cockpit systems.

Hard to see that it'd take more than a few weeks of dev time too. It's not a hard problem, it's just one that only Garmin has documentation to do.

- mark

Replace the horrible Garmin Checklist Editor app on Windows with a web-based one that produces .ace files for download.

Has the advantage that it'd run without Windows, and wouldn't need to be updated when MS obsoletes the current version. Would also be suitable for other Garmin glass cockpit systems.

Hard to see that it'd take more than a few weeks of dev time too. It's not a hard problem, it's just one that only Garmin has documentation to do.

- mark
How about they use the same checklist Editor as they use for the Garmin Pilot App? At the moment, you have to build two completely different Checklist systems if you want one within Garmin Pilot and one on the Display screens as they don't export/import across the different stystems.

- mark

I thought about doing something like this as a hobby project, when I'm not building/flying. The format of the checklist file is very simple to work with. I don't have a Windows computer, so I currently (carefully) edit mine by hand in a text editor, but there's no reason a cross-platform G3X checklist editor can't be created.

How about they use the same checklist Editor as they use for the Garmin Pilot App? At the moment, you have to build two completely different Checklist systems if you want one within Garmin Pilot and one on the Display screens as they don't export/import across the different stystems.

Actually, that's a good point -- You can already edit checklists on the FlyGarmin website, but the only place they show up afterwards AFAIK is the Garmin Pilot mobile app.

If the FlyGarmin website had an "Export to .ace" button which downloaded a file you could put on a flash card suitable for everything else, that'd probably be (mostly) ideal.

I'll revise my "few weeks of dev time" estimate. They already have the UI, this is mostly back-end, it's more like a few days.

- mark

Quick update on my Transition altitude alert.
The new Set Baro alert is helpful for on the ground but I really like the G1000 style alert climbing or descending through the transition altitude.
In Australia the transition altitude is 10,000'
In Europe its even lower.
I know its not of much use to those in the USA, but would be nice for us.
Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
If you scroll to the waypoint page it brings up the closest waypoint in your flight plan. When you click on the name of the way point it brings up the keypad to type in the identifier for a other waypoint. it would be nice if tapping on that waypoint name brought up a list of waypoints in your flight plan as a shortcut, and the provided a button to bring up the keypad from there. Most of the time the waypoint I want info on isn't the closest but is in my flight plan, so not having to manually type it in would be cool.

If you scroll to the waypoint page it brings up the closest waypoint in your flight plan. When you click on the name of the way point it brings up the keypad to type in the identifier for a other waypoint. it would be nice if tapping on that waypoint name brought up a list of waypoints in your flight plan as a shortcut, and the provided a button to bring up the keypad from there. Most of the time the waypoint I want info on isn't the closest but is in my flight plan, so not having to manually type it in would be cool.
Paul,

If you are wanting Waypoint Info on one of the waypoints in your flight plan, just go to the flight plan page, touch the desired waypoint in the flight plan, and select "Wapoint Info" on the pop-up menu. This couldn't get any easier.

FPL Waypoint Info.png

Steve

If you scroll to the waypoint page it brings up the closest waypoint in your flight plan. When you click on the name of the way point it brings up the keypad to type in the identifier for a other waypoint. it would be nice if tapping on that waypoint name brought up a list of waypoints in your flight plan as a shortcut, and the provided a button to bring up the keypad from there.

I think you'll find that the "Find" button on the keyboard will do what you want.

I like the local time at the bottom of the screen. So how about have zulu time next to it?

You can easily display UTC time as one of the configurable data fields at the top of the screen.

You can easily display UTC time as one of the configurable data fields at the top of the screen.

I know, but I already use those fields. Besides, the clock is so small that having Zulu right next to it seems like a no-brainer.

Here are a few things I’d like to see after using my 10” G3X touch for the 19 months:

- A second data bar at the top of the screen. Currently the single row data bar only has 6 data info places even though I have it set to 8, the rest of the info bar has Com, Xponder, and audio which take priority. My Com/audio and xponder are both remote due to a lack of panel space. Not sure if COM/audio and xponder would still take priority on the data bar if they were not remote units. It would be nice to add a second row. I often times shoot a VFR approach just to keep familiarity with the keystrokes. I like to give several distance updates within 10 miles of the airport. When you are on an approach the WPT distance on your screen is now your distance to the next approach waypoint instead of the distance to the airport. By adding an extra row you can have both a destination WPT distance and a next WPT distance for example. The second row doesn’t have to extend across the entire screen. It can use only the space it needs. It sounds like a pretty simple s/w change.

- Currently when you download the engine data onto Savvy Analysis the only two data points that not included are the Hobbs and Tach time. I’ve mentioned this to Garmin several times over the last year with no response. It seems to me a very simple modification to the data logging. Although this is not a big deal why not include these two parameters. If I want to look at engine data 6 or 9 months ago on Savvy Analysis why should I have to search my logbook to estimate what my engine time was.

- the engine pg displayed on the side while displaying the synthetic vision and map pg does not display all the engine data and electrical information like the rest of the competitors. To see all of it Garmin forces you to go into the engine page. Garmin can make more effective use of the space by making the rpm n MP info smaller as an example. This isn’t difficult to do.

Last edited:
Back