What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV7A or 14A which is faster to build?

I’m considering assembling an RV either model 7A or 14A.

I was reading about the pre-punched pre-matched holes with the new RV14A kit.

The model seven seems less expensive to build and I also like the option of the sliding canopy. However if I’m reading correctly the 14 is actually a little easier to make.

I’m sure it’s been talked about many times so my apologies! Very very much appreciate any insights or pointers for reading material or ideas here on the thread.

Hope everyone has a good Christmas.

-David

14A

The model seven seems less expensive to build and I also like the option of the sliding canopy. However if I’m reading correctly the 14 is actually a little easier to make.

I’m sure it’s been talked about many times so my apologies! Very very much appreciate any insights or pointers for reading material or ideas here on the thread.

-David

I'm building a 7A. Several friends have started and are flying 14s in just the laat few years of my time. Granted bit more expnsive and no slider but they are flying!

I built a 7A and the Empennage of the 14. The 14 is faster for the reasons of pre punched holes.
So if you are not in a hurry and want to send less money, but both will get you where you want to go.

Time factor

Building an airplane, whether 7 or 14 or anything else, is a major multi-year project for most people. If you want to save time and just fly then it may be better to buy an already completed airplane. The over-riding reason to build or assemble your own should mainly be because you want to enjoy the process of building it.
That's the best honest advice I can give!

Building an airplane, whether 7 or 14 or anything else, is a major multi-year project for most people. If you want to save time and just fly then it may be better to buy an already completed airplane. The over-riding reason to build or assemble your own should mainly be because you want to enjoy the process of building it.
That's the best honest advice I can give!

However..........the easier it is to build, (10, 12, or 14) the less likely you are to give up because of frustration. I built an RV10, it was a LOT easier than the 9A I'm doing now, simply because of the construction manual.

Curious

I'm curious. With the 10, 12 and 14, is drilling out the holes no longer necessary?

I'm building an 8, which is very similar to the 7. I cleco everything together, drill the holes final size, un-cleco, deburr, dimple, (prime if desired), and then rivet. Saving the drilling and deburring the holes would save a lot of time.

As has been said earlier, build it for fun. My project is 10.5 years in, mostly because life gets in the way (a couple moves, career, got married, had a kid). That's got nothing to do with the kits. However, final size holes that can be dimpled and riveted would definitely speed things up.

The 14 is two generations newer than the 7. I have a 7, love it now that it is built. The 14 is fast, more complete design for all the things where the 7 instructions stop. There is a long list of improvements, not just the prepunch precision.

If you are building your first plane, it would be hard to go wrong with the 14.

Last edited:
Both are great side by side airplanes. The -14A is *considerably* quicker to build than a 7A, frankly. This is accomplished through a variety of features of the kit that each remove time from the project:

• Holes in the kit are almost all pre-punched, final sized and match-hole - which means you check for burrs, clean them up as needed, and put it together (in the -7 you get a lot of pre-punched but not final-sized, so you will drill them to final-size, debur, and then reassemble, etc. - there are more steps is all, and that takes a certain amount of time)
  • There is very little fabrication or shaping/trimming of parts
  • The kit was designed leveraging what our team had learned from prior kits (including the -7 and others of that generation) to be simple, easier, and more convenient in assembly
  • The kit assembly instructions (plans) for the -14 are step-by-step-style, quite detailed, and illustrated on each page next to the relevant steps (the -7 plans include large technical drawing sheets plus a book with good instructions, but it's not as detailed as the step-by-step plans for the -14).

Of course, the -14 is also larger and costs a bit more in the end. There's one of the bigger trade-off's. It cost more, but you get a larger airplane that can be completed sooner. It's also a bit heavier and not quite as nimble as the -7 (but, compared to most airplanes out there it's still a true sportscar).

Last edited:
Still Confused

I'm still confused what's meant by "pre-punched precision". My RV-8 has all the holes lined up and I just cleco them together to drill final size. There's very few holes that I drill from nothing. They're nearly all punched in the right spot at the factory. I know that wasn't the case with the older generation kits and the original RV-8, before the -1 kits.

Thank you, and I appreciate everybody’s thoughtful replies.

From what I’ve read, sounds like the 14A requires about 1200 hours to build using the Quick Build as a starting place.

I currently have a very nice 182P getting a new Victor Black engine in February, so I have a great plane to fly in the meantime.

Ownership question: I’ve never flown a tip-up canopy before.
  • Can the 14A be taxied with the canopy cracked open for ventilation?
  • What issues exist operating the canopy in high winds when loading/unloading the plane? For my 182, I point it into the wind to preserve the doors.

-David

The RV14 is a lot more aircraft than a 7A. It’s bigger inside the cockpit and goes faster with a bigger baggage compartment. Cruise is probably about 170 TAS for a good one.

The new kits are much faster builds than the early ones. I built a slow build RV10 starting in late 2008. I finished a high quality build in 2022 with 2 one year periods off for life events. I was on the road for my job 18 days a month for most of the build. The RV10 is like building two RV14’s.

Wondering what the percentage of RV-14 to RV-14A is? From just reading, it seems that the -A is much more plentiful?

Wondering what the percentage of RV-14 to RV-14A is? From just reading, it seems that the -A is much more plentiful?

Van’s counter at the bottom of the first flight page says 202 14/14A
FAA registry has 280 RV-14/A, of those 199 are registered as 14A. In the US more than 2/3 are A models.

I'm still confused what's meant by "pre-punched precision". My RV-8 has all the holes lined up and I just cleco them together to drill final size. There's very few holes that I drill from nothing. They're nearly all punched in the right spot at the factory. I know that wasn't the case with the older generation kits and the original RV-8, before the -1 kits.

The difference is undersize vs final size prepunched holes.

RV-8 typical assembly process:

• Cleco parts together
  • Final drill rivet holes
  • Disassemble parts
  • Deburr
  • Dimple as needed
  • Cleco parts together
  • Rivet

RV-14 typical assembly process (I presume...I'm just a crusty -8 builder):

• Deburr
  • Dimple as needed
  • Cleco parts together
  • Rivet

The most important thing is that us 7/8/9 builders have a newer group to gripe about. Just like how the 3/4/6 builders grumbled about us and our prepunched holes, now we get to grumble about how this new generation Has No Idea How Good They've Got It®.

:p

Last edited:
At the end of this journey, you will have invested a considerable amount of your time and money in this aircraft. My suggestion would be to build the aircraft that you want to own and fly when completed. For me, it is the 14A. Good luck with your decision!

Is this truly relevant criteria?

-David

David- Is this really a good basis for deciding between two aircraft that are night and day different from one another?

If you are physically large and like to travel in comfort carrying lots of gear, not particularly interested in aerobatics, and want to load up a large panel with IFR gear, the forces would point toward the 14.

If you are of average stature and want a nimble bird that is a joy to do gentleman’s aerobatics in nearly every time you fly while still retaining the option of continent-wide travel at a brisk pace, the 7 is probably where you want to be.

Ending up with the airplane that truly suits your needs is what matters. A bit of difference in cost or build time will quickly fade from relevance after your first flight. Good luck with your choice!- Otis

Last edited:
Back