What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KMRY/ Trip ideas

kklewin

Well Known Member
Supposed to fly to OSH for the first time and first visit since 2000. Covid cancelled 2020, so headed to MRY, CA via TWF and RNO on 18 July. Thoughts on stuff to see and do in MRY that?s not closed or points of interest on the way (have a rental car there) We are not doing much mask wearing in Montana, but guessing given CAs clamp on personal freedoms I need to buy one?
Wife wants to checkout the beach, but not sure that?s even an option. Thoughts?

We are not doing much mask wearing in Montana, but guessing given CAs clamp on personal freedoms I need to buy one?

My thought is that if obeying the rules and wearing a mask to protect people in this state is such an imposition on your personal freedoms, then there's plenty in Montana to see.

Here in CA, we are having a huge increase in cases, thanks to people not practicing facial coverings, social distancing, and refusing to follow the rules.

Don't be "that guy".

A short way to the north is Monterey Bay Academy - CA66. Closed on Saturdays, but a short walk to the adjacent beach. It's a nice grass strip (rare in CA) in decent condition, just outside the Watsonville traffic pattern. Nothing else there.

From MRY Carmel and point Lobos are worth a visit. I don't know what access is like at present.

That?s my question. Are the required? We have 7 people per square mile in MT so social distancing comes with residency.
Beyond this, looking for ideas on maybe aviation museums (that are open), parks, or points of interest. Maybe scenic drives or good MRY food (open or take out). Don?t have an issue w rules, otherwise I wouldnt fly :). Montana is just a personal choice state vs others, hence my questions. Cheers.

Pretty much everywhere you go right now a mask will be required. Even on a beach ... :confused:

I haven't been to MRY in the last couple months but in general CA is pretty locked up. Restaurants are being forced to close again and wineries are closed (unless its owned by the governor, go figure). Personally I would pick a different destination not in CA.

Montana must be a lot like Texas. Not many masks in Texas. You will need one to get in a store/business.

Slightly off topic, but one reason that there are more cases reported is that there is a whole heckuva lot more testing going on. If the infection rate is unchanged, then more testing means more reported cases. More cases reported but not more deaths also means that the fatality rate is lower than previously reported.

A friend came down with cold-like symptoms a week ago, as did eight of the ten people in her office, all at the same time. Four tested negative for COVID19, four positive. Go figure.

as an ex-Californian, I have fond memories of the beaches and beach towns (except LA) all the way from Crescent City to Imperial Beach. There are plenty of secluded beaches all up and down the coast and plenty of small airports close by. I imagine the camping is either restricted or very crowded, so make motel reservations early. The Monterey aquarium is probably closed, but the drive south from Monterey, Hwy 1, Big Sur, is one of the most scenic anywhere and usually not very crowded (by California standards :). I'd be surprised if you couldn't find secluded beaches for a picnic between Monterey and Pismo Beach or north of San Francisco ( the redwoods are pretty impressive up there as well)

Other than that, just cruising around taking in the scenery (even in San Francisco) would be fun and if you feel like driving more, cruise up to Yosemite

Shelter Cove airport (quite a ways up from Monterey) would make a great 1 or 2 night stay on the coast when coming or going,

Last edited:
Great ideas! We have hangar space reserved in MRY and got a cheap F-150 rental truck. (As a Montanan, as a matter of policy, I only rent and own vehicles that get 15 mpg or less, lol). So the drive sounds nice. We have an Air BnB for 3 nights in Pebble Beach area.

Slightly off topic, but one reason that there are more cases reported is that there is a whole heckuva lot more testing going on. If the infection rate is unchanged, then more testing means more reported cases. More cases reported but not more deaths also means that the fatality rate is lower than previously reported.

A friend came down with cold-like symptoms a week ago, as did eight of the ten people in her office, all at the same time. Four tested negative for COVID19, four positive. Go figure.

Except that the percent positive is *also* increasing...as are hospitalizations.

It's not simply a matter of more tests.

The Monterey bay aquarium is opening again this week, although reservations are required. Send me a PM we have yearly passes and two guest passes that we can let you use while your here. Easy way to pass a few hours.

As CA is seeing a strong uptick in cases, the rules are in flux. Many beaches are open, but their parking lots closed (to keep the numbers down, to allow 6? spacing). There is a nice beach between KMRY and downtown Monterey, don?t know its current status. Be prepared for cold water if you choose to go in! (Most surfers in NorCal wear wetsuits). Most restaurants are open for take-out, or limited outdoor, spaced seating, only. To enter a restaurant for pick-up, or a grocery store, a mask is required. Think of others, wear a mask any time you cannot maintain 6? distance from non-household members.

It is mind boggling to me that people think 19 is just a bad flu. Folks it is real. We know five people that have had it. One and a half are dead. All were in their 30?s. Caught it by going out in public. The half dead one is in her 14th week of desperation. Will be on O2 probably for the rest of her life. Racked with pain. Massive headache that will not go away. Do some real research and protect yourself with proper PPE.

19 is not a game and it is starting to rage again here in California

Bob Grigsby

Covid-19 is real. Most folk who get it don't know they have it. Something on the order of 90% of those who die have serious underlying health conditions. I don't know anyone who has had it. I only know one person who knows one person that has had it and she is a doctor in a large city. This is the only time in history were we quarantine healthy people. Folks who are in a high risk group probably ought to stay at home.

It is mind boggling to me that people think 19 is just a bad flu. Folks it is real. We know five people that have had it. One and a half are dead. All were in their 30’s. Caught it by going out in public. The half dead one is in her 14th week of desperation. Will be on O2 probably for the rest of her life. Racked with pain. Massive headache that will not go away. Do some real research and protect yourself with proper PPE.

19 is not a game and it is starting to rage again here in California

Bob Grigsby

Sorry DR for not keeping this RV related but it needs to be said. Having worked in a COVID ICU in Los Angeles, and personality tested many people, this is real. Have personally taken care of several 30-40 year olds with NO prior health problems. Some died, some went home on O2 with long term lung damage. Protect others as well as yourself. Please.

We fly regularly, and go to the airport daily but also RESPECT others by spacing and masking. Just because some states are loosening restrictions, doesn’t mean the worst is behind us. I am not for a second suggesting we all stay in our houses until this passes, just use some common sense.

Last edited:
If you head further South check out L52, Oceano. Nice beach area. Just a short drive is Piismo and Avila beach. Get a VRBO. Take a neck gator or mask just to wear when needed. Beautiful area to see both by air and by land. You can use KSBP as an alternate too.

Last edited:
You?re flying all the way to MRY and you?re not going to golf? I?m a pretty terrible golfer but the day I played Pebble was magical.

Lol, never golfed! Grew up a runner and golf seemed frustrating, so built an RV! Maybe someday! Wife wants to smell the ocean for a few days!

that is not factual.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/22/who...bers-is-not-just-because-of-more-testing.html

The Monterey bay aquarium is opening again this week, although reservations are required. Send me a PM we have yearly passes and two guest passes that we can let you use while your here. Easy way to pass a few hours.

sorry, no. they delayed that. they don't have a date yet. Sad to see them closed. Great facility

You will likely need to be flexible with planning as Covid has the status of things such a dining and the opening of individual attractions in flux. If you like to explore by car, the 17 Mile drive is a toll road that takes you along some of the prettiest real-estate in California, especially if you like golf. You are also on the northern gateway to the Big Sur coastline, fly it or drive it, either way it is pretty. Oceano Airport was mentioned, alternately- 30 minutes north is KHAF, there is parking at the south end with a walk into Princeton, a pretty fishing harbor, The Half Moon Bay Brewing company is (in Princeton) right there and they are set up for outdoor dining. Driving north of Santa Cruz there are numerous secluded beaches off of the highway. Keep in mind NorCal summers can be chilly, the ocean, a giant "cold sink" hovers around 55 degrees, the winds are usually onshore, and fog can dominate the weather. It adds up to being sometimes chilly, oftentimes IFR. Also as Northern California is still under various restrictions so no sports, kids activities, shopping malls, etc, it all means that the coastline and trails are MUCH more crowded with families getting out and doing the only things they are allowed to do, and desperately trying to keep their kids entertained. Good luck, its a great area to visit, but the timing will present you with some unique challenges...

Back