What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacement oil for Exxon Elite 20W50

Yellow RV-7

I'm New Here
I have an RV-7A with a Mattituck TMX IO-360 Engine. It has been using Exxon Elite 20W50 oil for the last 12 years. I am on my last oil change and the next one will have to be with another type of oil due to the discontinuation of Exxon Elite oil.

What is the consensus for a replacement oil? Thanks.

Yellow RV-7

I have the same engine with 900 hrs and switched to Phillips XC 20w50 with added Camguard.

The oil analysis comes back good. It's cheaper too and I haven't heard any bad reports.

Continental are recommending it for their Titan experimental engines for break-in and throughout life afterwards.

IF you want to stay with a semi-synthetic, AeroShell 15W-50.

If you do not care, then get Phillips 66 Victory 20W-50.

Both are good and meet the Lycoming requirement for the Series 76 engine additive package without adding any additional additive.

For winter time when it is possible that I may not fly for more than a few weeks, I also like to add Camguard to my engine with either of the two above oils.

Another vote for the Phillips Victory oil. I have used Phillips oils in all my aircraft for many years with great results.

Back