What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Kit additional supplies needed

czechsix

Well Known Member
I got my wing kit second hand and have a few questions:

1) Are tiedown rings supposed to be included or do we need to buy them separately? They came with my -8A wing kit years ago but I can't find any with my -14 wing kit.

2) The plans recommend using 3M F9460PC VHB double sided tape on the control surface trailing edges, but I can't find any in the parts that I got...is this something that must be purchased separately? Has anyone used it with good results? Vans used to recommend proseal on the riveted trailing edges...

3) Has anyone managed to build both tanks using only 1 qt of sealant? I think that's all I needed on my -8A, but the -14 tanks are larger.

4) I noticed Cleaveland Tool has two kinds of riveting tape, one that has adhesive all over (http://www.cleavelandtool.com/Back-Rivet-Tape/productinfo/RT811/#.Vpcz8_krKM8) and the other has adhesive only along the edges of the tape, with none in the middle (http://www.cleavelandtool.com/3M-Riveters-Tape/productinfo/RT685/#.Vpc0PPkrKM8). The latter is quite a bit more expensive and Cleaveland's website says it's for universal heads...I didn't think you needed tape for universal head rivets so I'm confused as to how exactly it's used. Any pireps on either of these products?

Thanks,

Not much help, but I have a partial roll of the "latter" rivet tape with no adhesive in the middle you are welcome to if I can find it. I bought it with my tail kit I think, good theory but with clecos holding the structure together it ended up being a bunch of short pieces that required cutting with something and it didn't stick the greatest. Picture tape in one hand, rivets and scissors in the other Hand placing rivets inverted.....I found scotch tape easier to use with the dispenser/cutter and it stuck better. I found folding a little tab of scotch tape over on itself made a nice little handle for removing it, PITA to remove the day after or later though.

As mentioned:

1) Tiedown rings purchased separately. I am just about done with the wings and haven't bought any yet.

2) I used the tape with mixed results, now that I have more experience with proseal I would probably go that route. The tape does work fine, and actually will hold the rivets in as well when you put them in. I bought mine on Amazon, it is rather expensive stuff. It is not included - has a shelf life as well.

3) I mostly used the method Tom mentions in his post, you will need 2 qt (not 1). If I had it to do over again I would just purchase the 2 qt and fill a semco gun or syringes, etc. rather than using the individual smaller cartridges.

4) I am using the tape with no adhesive in the middle, but have also used all kinds of other tape, just remove it right away.

Made for a friend.

After working with the tape and needing several hands, I made this.
IMG_0908.JPG

I got my wing kit second hand and have a few questions:
1) Are tiedown rings supposed to be included or do we need to buy them separately? They came with my -8A wing kit years ago but I can't find any with my -14 wing kit.

Just to avoid confusion in RV-14 builders thinking they are getting shorted....
Tie down rings have never been included in any RV wing kit.

Scotch Heavy Duty clear package tape works great for riveting. It is wide enough to keep the rivet gun mushroom head from touching the aluminum. You can get it just about anywhere (staples, wal-mart, target) and it is cheap.
No issues with the adhesive sticking to anything after riveting. It works great as a third hand to hold the rivets in place as you place the gun and bucking bar on the rivets.

Are there rings that can be left installed?

I notice the van's rings say they can be "easily removed for flight". Is this necesary? If so are there rings that can be left in for flight? Seems like a pain to have to install and remove these repeatedly. Obviously I'm new to van's planes.

I notice the van's rings say they can be "easily removed for flight". Is this necesary? If so are there rings that can be left in for flight? Seems like a pain to have to install and remove these repeatedly. Obviously I'm new to van's planes.

I don’t often need to tie down, so keep my wing tiedowns in a ziplock bag in the plane. The tail tie down doubles as a skid, so it remains in place. Probably worth a few knots . . . ; )

Tie Down Rings

I purchased tie down rings from Van's for my RV-10. They were not included with my kit.

Unless you intend to leave them in all the time, I would suggest purchasing the inexpensive rings from Van's (https://store.vansaircraft.com/common-rv-tie-down-ring-bolt-eye-3-8-16-t-d.html) the next time you order other items from their store. (No need for a special/separate order, as you have plenty of time until you will need them, and will very likely order other supplies from Van's before then.)

If I didn't have a hanger and as a result needed to leave them installed, I would probably purchase the ones from Cleaveland that are linked above, as they are much more attractive. (I find the Van's rings to be rather ugly, but ok for the occasional tie-down needs when traveling.)

Cheers,

The Cleveland tie-downs are nice, but my buddy has found they won’t fit many tie-down ropes. You could bring your own. :rolleyes:

Rings can definitely be left in in flight, really just personal preference. I used to take them but now I don't bother. We can get all into the amount of drag they create but it's likely not measurable. For me anyway they don't seem to want to back themselves out. One might want to trim the threaded end precisely so they bottom out oriented with the slipstream but I never bothered to do that.

Back