What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aileron Stiffeners orientation (A-710)

Michael Burbidge

Well Known Member
I just wanted to verify that the orientation of the A-710 stiffener on the right aileron is different than on the left, since there is not a A-710-L and A-710-R. The drawings show the flange towards the outboard end on the left aileron. If there is only a single part then that means the flange on the right aileron will be towards the inboard edge of the aileron.

Is that correct?

Be careful with the aileron skins orientation.

Basically they need to be mirror images of each other and it’s hard to visually see with the exception of a couple of holes.

With regard to the stiffeners the bottom skin the vertical flanges are inboard, the top skin the vertical flanges are outboard. But it’s easy when putting them down on the skins to rivet (aka with one skin right way up and one upside down) to put them opposite each other. Then when you flip the top skin - it’s wrong!! With the skins in the orientation to back rivet them, all the flanges of the stiffners are in the same direction.

Anyway, here’s the run down of how I totally screwed up my ailerons:
https://tasrv14.blogspot.com/2021/11/22-06-clecoing-ailerons-together-first.html?m=1

Don’t do what I did!

Basically they need to be mirror images of each other and it’s hard to visually see with the exception of a couple of holes.

With regard to the stiffeners the bottom skin the vertical flanges are inboard, the top skin the vertical flanges are outboard. But it’s easy when putting them down on the skins to rivet (aka with one skin right way up and one upside down) to put them opposite each other. Then when you flip the top skin - it’s wrong!! With the skins in the orientation to back rivet them, all the flanges of the stiffners are in the same direction.

Anyway, here’s the run down of how I totally screwed up my ailerons:
https://tasrv14.blogspot.com/2021/11/22-06-clecoing-ailerons-together-first.html?m=1

Don’t do what I did!
+1 for this advice. There is only a “CAUTION” note telling the builder to be sure to orient the skins correctly before dimpling the skins. Not much, well really, no direction, on HOW to determine what that correct orientation is.

As pointed out in the link above, pay attention to the rivet holes on the corners of the skin. Also, cleco the skins to the spar and mark INSIDE/OUTSIDE of each skin BEFORE you dimple the skins!

Of course, this is only true if you flip them L/R. If you flip them U/D, then the flanges will be oriented with their proper orientation (but spar/trailing edge will be opposite each other).

Back