What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin G3X Manifold pressure anomoly

Warbirdsolutions

Everyone (Garmin Tech Rep),
I have a new G3X professionally wired and installed in a new build F-1 Rocket. The system has been flawless except for one repeat offender. The Manifold Pressure display functioned normally for ground test and for about 30 min of the first test flight. At this point the needle and digital display essentially froze and ceased to follow the throttle position. For example, when indicating 24" & 2400 rpm, reducing the throttle all the way to idle would not cause the MP display to change. It was not, however, frozen completely and would occasionally move from the frozen position a little.
After inspecting the MP wiring and hose condition, I concluded the problem was probably the Kavlico sender unit and replaced it with a new one. Subsequent test flights were normal at least for approx 2 hours and then it happened again.
I'm out of ideas... Any thoughts from the Garmin Experts or others who might have experienced this?
Thanks Gang,
Brad

Last edited:
If it is the same unit that Dynon uses, be sure it is being fed 5 volts (not 12).

seconding the installation of the orifice.

Also, check that nothing is ending up in the orifice. our MP was dancing around a lot. After installing the orifice it smoothed out the MP reading. After around 150hrs a small bit of gunk got into the orifice and caused the MP reading to freeze.

Cleaned it up, and its been smooth for another 150hrs at least so far.

I installed the McMaster-Carr snubber on a G3X installation and it completely solved my "slowly pulsing" MP. Note - install close to the sensor, and above the engine port.

Remove the seal inside the connector. The sensor is referenced to outside air. The breather hole is inside the connector. The seal is blocking the reference to outside air pressure. I had a similar issue, which was solved by removing the seal. I was told Garmin was going to change to a Kavlico sensor with an external reference hole.

Use a rivet for a snubber

Instead of the McMaster Carr part, I drilled a 1/32 hole through an 1/8" rivet, cut the head off an pressed into the AN fitting on the engine. I used a rivet long enough that it couldn't possibly make the 45 degree turn back into the engine. But its in there pretty tightly. I did this for oil and fuel pressure as well. Lighter, one less leak path and a lot less expensive than an additional fitting. I suspect RV guys have one or two extra rivets laying around... ;)

Back