What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking For DAR in Northern CA Livermore, LVK

Frankster13

Finishing up on an RV-14A and getting all my admin/forms squared away. Next step is the DAR Inspection. Can anyone recommend a good DAR inspector in the SF Bay area. My hanger is in Livermore LVK. Any thoughts on going with the FAA?

Richard Ortenheim is in Tracy at Skyview Aviation. Good guy and easy to work with. I’ve known him many years and recommend him. You won’t be able to get Oakland FSDO to do an inspection. The one guy that oversees experimental aviation at the FSDO, Justin Louw, is normally swamped, but a nice guy and I have found he’s relatively easy to communicate with as well. Justin will do your Repairman Certificate interview after you get your AWC done, just have all of your paperwork in order and it's an easy visit.

Last edited:
I was speaking to an airworthiness inspector from Oakland FSDO at our chapter meeting last week. He said that although they don't have much capacity, if you giver them at least 3 months notice of the approximate date it will get scheduled in and you have a reasonable chance of a FSDO inspector doing it.

However, I've used Danny McGehee a couple of times, once for an import and once for a new build. He's also inspected a new Lancair of one of my neighbours.
His price is reasonable and he's easy to work with. No complaints.

Richard Ortenheim is in Tracy at Skyview Aviation. Good guy and easy to work with.

+1 for Richard. Great guy, easy to work with. I sent him all if my paperwork ahead of time to make sure all the i?s were dotted and t?s were crossed. He had everything read thru and checked out, with a set of Ops limits and an agreement for Phase 1 test area. I asked for a 50nm radius on on VOR, and he said it was fine, and suggested I should have asked for something as large as the Central Valley in its entirety. Finished out my Phase 1 out of LVK with no issues.

Justin is a good guy, and free. Doesn?t hurt to ask if he?s available.
He gave me a phase 1 area with a corridor north of 580 east to the central valley, then north to the delta, south to Los Banos.

Bringing up an old thread, but old threads are what helped me find a DAR so providing an update.

Had a great inspection with Dilly a few days ago. Good experience if you are looking for someone interested in actually doing an inspection and sharing some knowledge. Would recommend, and I hope he's still around when I get the next airplane to the finish line.

Richard Dillbeck
[email protected]

Back