What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Clunking Canopy when Closing

design4p

Hi,

I have a clunking sound when the canopy is being closed. There is no connection with the rear of the canopy and the only connection at the point of clunk is the 2 hinges.

Please view a YouTube movie of the clunk.

It would appear that the hinge connected to the bulkhead jerks at the point of clunk.

Any suggests of a remedy would be most welcome.

John

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzu3H0-6CyU&feature=youtu.be

Just guessing here, but it sounds like F768 B,C&D Seal Support Angle is catching on the forward face of the canopy frame (a common cause of noises like this). If so, sand them down a touch until they no longer interfere.

Thank you for the suggestion.

I've placed a card in the gap between the canopy and the top fuselage and moved it side to side at the point of clonking and the card was still free to move.

I am wondering what else the clonking could be.

John

Worn hinges

I?m not a builder and don?t know much about how the canopy hinges work, but it appears that the hinge is worn oversize. The arm is moving in a linear fashion at the axel of the joint. Either the holes have enlarged or whatever serves as an axel is worn. If it were my airplane I would plan on taking the canopy off and making bushings to resize the holes.

-Andy

Hi,

Thank you for that - I'm thinking the same that there is play in the holes and or bushes.

My concern here is that it is a new build and the canopy has only been assembled. However, the fuselage is a quick build and was completed by Van's. My input is the canopy built from the parts supplied.

John

Thank you for the suggestion.

I've placed a card in the gap between the canopy and the top fuselage and moved it side to side at the point of clonking and the card was still free to move.

I am wondering what else the clonking could be.

John

It's not between the *canopy* and the *top fuselage*. It's the flange on the seal support angle is catching on the flat, forward face of the canopy frame. IF that's what it is. Might be something else, dunno, just wanted to make sure you're checking the actual thing I mentioned.

Back