What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Seattle to San Francisco

ben barron

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm hoping to take a flight in my RV12 from the Seattle area to the San Francisco area. Anyone done this in their 12 and have some pointers?

Fly down the coast, view the Golden Gate Bridge, and at Half Moon Bay turn left to land at San Carlos. You can get lunch outside at the cafe or get it to go in the open air covered gazebo while watching planes land. Ranking landings is optional, but everyone gets a 10 out 10!

And I can show you the 12iS our flying club built in conjunction with EAA chapter 20(it’s an excellent and active chapter). We now have three young eagles in the process of earning their private pilot license in it now.

Heck, I can show you the second 12iS that is ready to be built as soon as conditions allow.

And we have a fantastic CFI who can help if you want to do a Bay Tour in the busy airspace too.

Hope to see you soon.

Last edited:
I’m in

Need a trip fo the summer Sounds fun. Flying from Colorado via Oregon or Washington and down the coast.

I like the highly scenic/rugged coastal route if there is no coastal fog to deal with. Also, the coastal route offers generally favorable winds from the NW if you are flying south-bound. The coastal route has fewer emergency landing spots along the way but does have a number of good airports enroute. The inland route generally has better weather (i.e., no fog) but can be somewhat turbulent and hotter during summer months. For scenic diversity I often like to fly one route (coast or inland) one way and return on the other route -- depending on the weather and turbulence. Where in the SFO area do you plan to alight?

Need a trip fo the summer Sounds fun. Flying from Colorado via Oregon or Washington and down the coast.
It would be fun to fly as a squadron, safer too. Let me know when you might ....Colorado is another trip on my radar, i have my 50th High school reunion there next year. Hope to fly in for that.

I like the highly scenic/rugged coastal route if there is no coastal fog to deal with. Also, the coastal route offers generally favorable winds from the NW if you are flying south-bound. The coastal route has fewer emergency landing spots along the way but does have a number of good airports enroute. The inland route generally has better weather (i.e., no fog) but can be somewhat turbulent and hotter during summer months. For scenic diversity I often like to fly one route (coast or inland) one way and return on the other route -- depending on the weather and turbulence. Where in the SFO area do you plan to alight?
One option is to end up in Santa Rosa if the Snoopy Hockey tourney is back on. I have good friends in the Berkley area so that is the plan. Any recommendations? I like the down the coast / up the inland idea.

Last edited:
One option is to end up in Santa Rosa if the Snoopy Hockey tourney is back on. I have good friends in the Berkley area so that is the plan. Any recommendations? I like the down the coast / up the inland idea.

Santa Rosa’s airport is fun... call ahead to see if the cafe is open. You can grab lunch and watch the planes. The FBO to the north east was really friendly when I was there a while back.

Back