What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rotary tools

wirejock

Well Known Member
Which rotary tool (aka Dremel) do you use?
I like The rotary for fine trimming if pieces too big to fit the band saw. It's more precise than big dogs like the Saw Max or Jig Saw.
I have a no name 1.3 A. It bogs down cutting. I have to make passes a tiny bit at a time and it still bogs or stalls. Material doesn't seem to matter. Aluminum, fiberglass. I prefer reinforced fiberglass wheels over the diamond. The latter are very expensive and don't perform any better.
I tried a 1.4A and it was no better. I'm considering the Dewalt 5A but it's not variable speed. It does take up to 1/4" bits so I can use cut off tool bits.
Looking for recommendations.

I've got a Dremel model 3000, only 1.2 amps but it seems satisfactory. My old Master Craft one wore out, unfortunately, since I preferred it. Still, it left behind its case, which fits the Dremel and is better than the Dremel's case or box or whatever it originally had.

For fiberglass, my metal diamond cutting disk works wonders, better in that material than the reinforced fiberglass wheels. I do have to proceed at an appropriate speed or it will bog down. In 4130 steel, the reinforced fiberglass wheels work well but need multiple passes or a very slow feed.

Dave

I've got a Dremel 3000 also, it came in a kit with an umbilical flexi-tool cord so I leave the motor on the bench and cut with the flexible end. I find this to be fairly good at most things, but cutting heavy material you have to go slow.

I did add a Milwaukee M12 die grinder (2846-20) to my tool collection recently (not cheap though), and it's nice and powerful, but much bigger than the Dremel. It does have a three speed setting plus variable trigger so you get great cutting (or deburring) control.

Last edited:
I use the Milwaukee M-12, 2460 for my rotary tool. The Dremel brand just failed too much.

-Marc

Back