What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

vans wooden stick grips

jask

Well Known Member
My RV-6A has two of the vans wooden stick grips. The recommendation was to use glue to fasten the grip to the stick. I was in the desert yesterday to practice landings and both grips came loose. I don't know how hot they got but it was parked in the sun for over an hour. Has anyone used a screw or set screw to fasten the grips?

Screw It

I bought my 6 and a screw that was threaded in the stick is what holds my grip on. Works great

I carved my own wooden grips, but did use a screw to hold them to the stick. Just used an ordinary wood screw, ground off the point and drilled a small hole in the stick for the screw to go into.

I just drilled and tapped mine about a month ago, I drilled through the grip and tapped the stick to 6/32. I worked great.

Both my wood grips are held on with a bolt through both the grip and stick. Head of the bolt is countersunk and the nut is recessed in place to keep the outside of the grip smooth.

I’ve got the wood grips too. Learned this from my golf days putting grips on.

Take masking tape and wrap around stick like it is a golf shaft, and press the grip on. With the right amount of wraps of tape, it will hold just fine.

I’m in Florida and it gets hot, and this has held up just fine after 200 flight hours.

Back