What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help read the borescope pictures

liuk

Hello all, I recently did the condition inspection and asked the A/P to take some borescope pictures for me. The pictures are attached below. The engine is an O-360-A1A with about 500 hours.

Based all the online reading I did, it seems the exhaust valves are all pretty healthy. But there was no mentioning at all about how the intake valves should look like, and I found some asymmetric patterns on the intakes.

So my questions are: do the intake valves matter at all? Or more specifically, is there anything I should be concerned about the intake valve pictures? Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• IMG_1255.JPEG
    IMG_1255.JPEG
    25.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_1259.JPEG
    IMG_1259.JPEG
    27.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1257.JPEG
    IMG_1257.JPEG
    30.5 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_1261.JPEG
    IMG_1261.JPEG
    32.7 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_1256.JPEG
    IMG_1256.JPEG
    24.7 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_1260.JPEG
    IMG_1260.JPEG
    22.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_1258.JPEG
    IMG_1258.JPEG
    25.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_1262.JPEG
    IMG_1262.JPEG
    24.4 KB · Views: 145
Hello all, I recently did the condition inspection and asked the A/P to take some borescope pictures for me. The pictures are attached below. The engine is an O-360-A1A with about 500 hours.

Based all the online reading I did, it seems the exhaust valves are all pretty healthy. But there was no mentioning at all about how the intake valves should look like, and I found some asymmetric patterns on the intakes.

So my questions are: do the intake valves matter at all? Or more specifically, is there anything I should be concerned about the intake valve pictures? Thanks a lot!

The darker colored spots on the intake vavles are where oil or gas dripped down the stem and soaked the deposit layer, creating the darker color in that area. TYpical intake deposits are usually light grey in color. When wet, they get darker.

Larry

I'm not an A&P, but have done a lot of research and do my own borescope and compression checks every time I change oil. From all the photos of valves I've collected showing both the good and bad none of your photos fall into the "bad" category. How were your compressions during inspection?

I'm not an A&P, but have done a lot of research and do my own borescope and compression checks every time I change oil. From all the photos of valves I've collected showing both the good and bad none of your photos fall into the "bad" category. How were your compressions during inspection?

Thanks! The compression was actually pretty good, 78/80 for all 4 cylinders.

Your valves all look all absolutely normal.
Larry is (of course :)) correct for the intake valves stained by oil. If you use your borescope pointing to the bottom side of the jug, you might even find some oil. Mine is the same, and has been so for the last 1K hours. All‘s good, fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Back