What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

So few RVs in NE

Radioflyer

Well Known Member
By any measure, Van's RV aircraft are the most popular and numerous of the homebuilts. The RV-6/6As alone are in the over 2000 built. One would think they would be somewhat evenly distributed throughout the country by now, even though the kits come from Oregon. Yet, I find that there are relatively few RV 6s here in New England. I personally know of only one -6, about 3 -7s, 1 -9, and maybe 4 -8s. If you go south or west, the numbers would be hugely greater. Is it just my experience or otherwise What is with the paucity of RVs in New England?

By any measure, Van's RV aircraft are the most popular and numerous of the homebuilts. The RV-6/6As alone are in the over 2000 built. One would think they would be somewhat evenly distributed throughout the country by now, even though the kits come from Oregon. Yet, I find that there are relatively few RV 6s here in New England. I personally know of only one -6, about 3 -7s, 1 -9, and maybe 4 -8s. If you go south or west, the numbers would be hugely greater. Is it just my experience or otherwise What is with the paucity of RVs in New England?

I moved to Florida after retiring so that I could fly more days/Year! I still "visit" NE for three months during the summer. 7B6 (Skylark) has one RV-7A, 4B9 (Simsbury) has my first RV-6A, and there's another RV-7A at 7B2 Northhampton). I'm sure there are many others as well...

I'm outside of Boston. There has been an RV-12 at my airport for a few years. There is one recently flown RV-7 just north of me in NH, and 3 more being built within 20 minutes of me. I ordered a -7 tail kit that should hopefully come in August (or better?). One of our local EAA chapters (106) has a "canard/RV" fly-in every year, and many show up. I seen numerous RV's fly in and out of my airport (6B6) all season, so I know there are plenty out there, even in the north east. Maybe they're just shy?:)

Hmmm

I'm building a 14A in Metrowest Boston, and when I fly my Cherokee to airports all around the NE I see RVs everywhere. I believe there are several in Plymouth, and down the cape as well.

I'm building a -10 in southern NH. I know of a couple of other flying -10's in the area.
I'm hoping to be done in the next year (hopefully).

You aren't looking hard enough! #'s aren't like some parts of the country, but there are plenty around to keep company.

2 RV 6’s, 2 RV 10’s, an RV 8, RV 7 and RV 9, and a RV12 being built by the local EAA chapter in one of the hangers in Hartford (KHFD). Two of those will be moving to Florida when I retire, so maybe there is some truth to the Florida migration.

Light aircraft in general are lacking in NE compared to much of the country.
But, here in 5B6 (a small field), we have one 8 with another under construction, one 4, one 10, one 12 with another arriving soon, a seven and a 12 under construction.

I just moved here from POU, where at one time a few years back we had four RV’s. I was the last to leave, part of the NY exodus.

Scott A Jordan
RV-8 80331
N733JJ

Good to hear there are many more RVs in New England than I was aware. Maybe there are even some projects languishing, though have not heard of any. I know the EAA Chapter 106 at KLWM used to hold an RV/Canard fly-in every summer, but not for the last couple years chiefly due to the pandemic. Maybe it is time to encourage them to do again this year if there is enough interest.

KASH

At Nashua, NH there is one -4, three -8’s, two -10’s and one really nice -7, all flying. I think there are a few being built too

My -4 is at KFIT. There's also a -12 and a -10, though I have not seen the -10 in a while. And, a Cozy and a Yak just moved in!

KLCI- 3 RV-10s
1 RV-8
1 RV-12
1 RV-9A

Alan
N668G RV-10 500 hrs
N603NH RV-12 awaiting inspection

There are at least 4 RVs in Plymouth KPYM.

Jose,
Russki is low in his guess. I just counted six in my head. We did have one fly the coop a couple of years ago. But you are right as well. Very few by most counts.

I attribute this to the fact that New England is far from an aviation "MECCA".

Seems like it has been that way since the birth of aviation. Historically there have been a few events like Amelia Earhart being from Medford, MA and Lindy visiting a few times. Aside from that airplanes have been not part of the areas infrastructure.

I am guessing that unlike say, Alaska... you can drive most places easily. Likewise, unlike the midwest, the land isn't conducive to flat fields to land in. The cost to live here is high and totally not worth it, therefore land is expensive. There are also more and more city slickers, accountants, politicians, pencil pushers and business men and less and less farmers, tinkerers and mechanical people.

Combine all this along with generations of people not taking to the skies and you don't get airports and planes. Hence, less RV's...

Unfortunately for me, I have lived here all my life. In those years I have pondered the same question and that is what I surmised.

I have been in the process of putting my new engine on the airframe and spending some time at the airport lately, if you care to stop by sometime and chat. Shoot me a text to set up a time.

:) John

I recently purchased an RV-7 and brought her to new home (UUU). Would be very interested in meeting up with any builders/flyers in the area to shoot the breeze and chat RV business. This is the first airplane I have owned so there are a lot of gremlins i am learning about in real-time.

Yeah, I agree that it can be tough to own and operate aircraft in the New England area. Given the expensive economics and congestion of the area, we have fewer planes here than in other regions of the country. Geez, hangars often go for $600+/month and you would consider yourself lucky if you could find one. Nevertheless, it has been good to learn that there are many more RVs around than expected quietly doing their thing. We're all die-hards here. Sometimes a small party is more fun than a large party. I will be talking with the EAA106 people at KLWM to see what their plans are for a summer party.

Everybody... stay in touch. Captain John, I hope to be going down to your field soon and will let you know.

Back