What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Head room and seat adjustments?

RNB

Hello. I want to build a 14 or a 10 but have not yet been able to sit in one, likely mid to late January. I am 6'6" tall and measure almost 40 inches from top of head down to a hard backed chair. What head room is in a 10? Anyone willing to measure with a seat in normal position?

Do the seats recline?

I tried a Cirrus with sheepskin and found it real tight

Thank you.

I don’t have measurements handy, but the front seats recline and are also on sliding tracks (like a car). Additionally, the rudder pedals can be installed in a forward or aft position. I’m 6’1” and usually fly with the seat 2 notches from the forward stop and have the rudder pedals installed in the forward position. Seat could go back several inches from where I like it.

I don’t have measurements handy, but the front seats recline and are also on sliding tracks (like a car). Additionally, the rudder pedals can be installed in a forward or aft position. I’m 6’1” and usually fly with the seat 2 notches from the forward stop and have the rudder pedals installed in the forward position. Seat could go back several inches from where I like it.

Thanks, I get the rudders move. It is the head room I want to know, straight line. Just so I have stuff to worry about before I get to sit in one.

Thanks, I get the rudders move. It is the head room I want to know, straight line. Just so I have stuff to worry about before I get to sit in one.

Just to be clear, in addition to the rudder pedal mount choice, the seats both recline and are on tracks to move fore/aft. The seat pan & tracks are at an angle, so the further aft you go, the more headroom there is. Add the recline and you’ll fit just fine. There is no one answer because of the recline variable.

Just to be clear, in addition to the rudder pedal mount choice, the seats both recline and are on tracks to move fore/aft. The seat pan & tracks are at an angle, so the further aft you go, the more headroom there is. Add the recline and you’ll fit just fine. There is no one answer because of the recline variable.
I have Control Approach pedals on order. I didn't realize there are forward and aft mounting positions to choose from. I'm also 6'1" and have an Aerosport panel on order. The AS panel extends lower than the the factory panel.

Given the potential for knee interference with a panel that's lower than stock, would it make sense for a taller pilot to install the rudder pedals in the rearward mounting location and compensate by sliding the seat further back? It would seem this could help to keep ones knees further from the panel, though potentially at the expense of consuming some rear passenger leg room.

I have Control Approach pedals on order. I didn't realize there are forward and aft mounting positions to choose from. I'm also 6'1" and have an Aerosport panel on order. The AS panel extends lower than the the factory panel.

Given the potential for knee interference with a panel that's lower than stock, would it make sense for a taller pilot to install the rudder pedals in the rearward mounting location and compensate by sliding the seat further back? It would seem this could help to keep ones knees further from the panel, though potentially at the expense of consuming some rear passenger leg room.

I don’t think you have to worry about the panel. You don’t fly with your feet flat on the floor. I’m 6’ 2” and I’ve had a 6’ 4” passenger with no issues on legroom or headroom. Like Bob mentioned, reclining the seat a notch or two yields quite a bit of additional head space.

My pedals are in the forward position. There are times that I wished they were in the aft position. Not because of knee clearance, but becuase I have to slide the seat more forward. I would have preferred to have the extra inch or two to sit further away from the panel and stick. I can’t fathom a reason in which the stick would ever be pulled to the aft stop position, but it’s really close to hitting me in the stomach. Of course, I could probably remedy that by losing a few pounds too.

I’m 6’04 and 225lbs (well maybe 235 since the holidays started). My son is 6’05 and 230 lbs. There is plenty of room in both front and back seats. When building, the peddles (Van’s) can be installed either in the forward or aft position, which for tall you go forward for the leg room. For taller people I would not install an overhead or a center console. They are nice but restricts leg and headroom for taller people. Also, you can always have the seat foam reduced an inch in thickness if needed, but I don’t think this would be necessary.

I'm 6'-7.5" tall, and easily fit in my RV-10 with the AeroSport overhead console, panel, and lower center console. I did have Oregon Aero reduce the front seat cushion's thickness by a little bit (I had them recommend the amount - perhaps 1/2"?). The overhead console runs down the center so doesn't take away headroom over the seats. I typically fly with the seat at the rear end of the standard slide travel, and with about one notch reclined, and am very comfortable.

Good luck with your build selection.

Plenty of room

I have about 1200 hours in my -10 and I’m 6-5. Even with a headset on I don’t touch the top. I’ll get measurements next time I’m in her.

I can’t fathom a reason in which the stick would ever be pulled to the aft stop position

On my 10, and at least one other 10 I’ve flown, the solo cg is close to the forward limit (I have short legs), and full flap landings always have the stick fully back. At least the good ones.

I am 6’ 4” with. A long upper body. Plenty of room with one warning.

I put an Aerosport overhead console with vents and lights. Leaning over my head hits the vents. Best if you can try a -10 with a console.

Aft stick

I taxi with the stick full aft, start my takeoff roll with it full aft and touchdown with it nearly full aft. I operate from a sod field. If my legs were any shorter or my belly any larger it would be a conflict… I am 5’10” and 200#.

As to headroom, I have had a father/son on one flight with one in the right front and the other in the right rear seats, both are over 6’5” and they were both comfortable. The -10 is very roomy.

Forgive this going in a few places all at once...

Update, some folks have been gracious to offer us to see their planes, wx and schedules have not meshed thus far. I expect that it will work out with a 10 in March with Zach. I'd still hope to sit in a 14 and/or see someone's build space. We are making travel plans to the Dallas area, will have some extra time most days. If you are near Dallas (Addison) and willing to show us your Vans 10/14 or an ongoing build, please reach out. We will have a rental car and are willing to drive a bit.

Thank you!

Back