What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GRT Obstacles

Funguy

Well Known Member
I have the Jeppesen obstacles subscription on my GRT Sport. I was wondering if there is anyway to get rid of the nuisance alarms while taxiing, takeoff and landing. It can be quite distracting to get an obstacle alarm while on final. There is a microwave tower not to far from the runway...

Thanks in advance!

Cheers, Sean

Last edited:
Same here in the RV8. Worse with a new Garmin update in the Cessna. I can't be 100 ft over the trees departing or landing with no terrain alarm.

Write Jeff!

I tried a long time ago to get the obstacle warning tied to a gps speed some where in the flying range but it never got any traction at the GRT head shed. Seemed to me it would have been easy to turn it off under 50 kts or so with a software fix, but still waiting.
It is a nuisance warning while taxiing out or in.
Write Jeff at GRT and put your name on the list of us who would love that fix!

One could arrive at an unfamiliar airport and not notice an obstacle by not getting near it on arrival. That could matter on first departure, so I don't mind seeing it pop up.

Pure TAWS/EGPWS costs a bunch. I don't mind it, if it was selectable, it could be left off when actually "needed".

Speed Sensitive

There are a lot of solutions to this problem other than a hard selection. We're hardly likely to be concerned about an obstacle below some arbitrary low speed. How about suppressing the alarm after the first acknowledgement after capturing a runway or below a certain height above ground for 5 minutes. Probably a lot more ways to skin this cat. And for those who don't want to use the options, no need to turn them on.

Cheers, Sean

Back