What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bay Area O69 to SNS Orange County Flight

Frankster13

I will be flying my RV-14A from the Bay Area to KSNA and I am looking for any tips and tricks that might make my journey a little easier. I plan to leave the plane on the field for my 3 day stay in SNA. Right now I am planning to use Clay Lacey FBO and $30 a night tiedown. My plan is to file IFR due to my unfamiliarity. Seems an IFR flight plan will give me better ATC services. Any thoughts, comments are appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Easy VFR

Really easy VFR too. Just use flight following and make plan to be at the right alt at the right time.

I will be flying my RV-14A from the Bay Area to KSNA and I am looking for any tips and tricks that might make my journey a little easier. I plan to leave the plane on the field for my 3 day stay. Right now I am planning to use Clay Lacey FBO and $30 a night tiedown. My plan is to file IFR due to my unfamiliarity. Seems an IFR flight plan will give me better ATC services. Any thoughts, comments are appreciated. Thanks

Agree with the others that VFR is quite an easy flight.
Feel free to PM for a phone number if you want to discuss the VFR options.

Yup, VFR is easy, transit the LAX Bravo via the Hollywood park route at 9500'. Easy peeze.

-Marc

The big dog

FYI, Frankster is a Captain for one of the majors, so knows his stuff.
I’m always impressed by the one’s that can fly experimentals and the huge dogs. :)

Frank, talk with that FBO about storing it in their hangar. I typically find they’ll do it for $20/night.

Last edited:
Clay Lacey at KSNA is awesome. SO is go rentals. I have flown into there from napa multiple times. I did get multiple vectors in IMC once that was challenging and pretty fun. Clay Lacey also always keeps my bird in a covered tie down spot for the same price. Kinda cool. I go in and out IFR every time and I truly thinks it makes things easier. Here are a couple of vids going in and out of there in an RV if you're interested!

https://youtu.be/Rnbj3YE-h2U

https://youtu.be/tjOx4f3jn8I

Back