What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sun N Fun 2022 Advice Tips Tricks

gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
I plan on showing up on the first day (Wed) or the day before and and staying at least through Friday maybe Saturday. I'm going to drive down and I plan on camping. How are the facilities? Similar to Airventure?

ANY SUGGESTIONS?

Looks like $280 for camping and tickets?

Official opening is Tuesday but Monday is like the "virtual" start with many arrivals.
We usually get there early by Saturday (in our camper).
It's nice to arrive before the hordes, get settled and figure it all out.
What we consider good camping spots go fast.
But there's always room out in the cow field and nothing wrong with that, just a farther walk.
I can't wait !!

Official opening is Tuesday but Monday is like the "virtual" start with many arrivals.
I can't wait !!
That is what I'm talking about, insider knowledge. OK I'll plan on arriving early. I did go to SnF once for one day, in and out. It was Sunday, last day and kind of dead. Hope weather is good.

Last edited:
There are changes afoot this year. Some were tested at the holiday event in Dec. The division chair meeting is tomorrow and we should hear what they are then. But we were told already to expect them. These are all precursors to the new EW runway being added and 5/23 going away.

If you are interested in the LAL master plan… https://www.flylakeland.com/_cache/...3C070A591F060357980F4C.lal-alp-2020-final.pdf

I have no idea when this is slated for completion, but pieces are already underway near the Amazon ramp.

Last edited:
While you know me as a mostly lurking SeaRey builder, I am also the CoChair of Sun n' Fun Air Ops under the OUTSTANDING leadership of RV/Airbus/F-15/Almost Air Boss Air Ops Chairman Sam "Flipper" Huffsteatler, who will hopefully have time to post here along with me and answer questions you may have (like a good XO, I try to catch stuff before it hits his desk). As you can imagine, we both have full time jobs and families, so if we don't get back to you right away, please bear with us.

If you're near the Air Ops trailer (at the base of the Air Boss/Announcer stand), stop in and say Hi. I can almost guarantee we won't have time to buy you a beer, but we will have a free water for you, and hopefully will have time to chat and Oooo and Ahhh over pics of your plane. Just be nice to Gunny behind the counter.

Kitplanes said:
Behind the Rope Line. A day in the life at Sun n Fun Air Ops.
https://www.kitplanes.com/behind-the-rope-line/

And if things work out this year, during the Wednesday night airshow Sun n' Fun will be claiming the record for the highest, fastest, and quietest flyby of a crewed vehicle in airshow history. ;)

Steve, aka "Duck"

Attachments

• Sun n Fun (1).jpg
    Sun n Fun (1).jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 147
  • Sunn fun air ops (1).jpg
    Sunn fun air ops (1).jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Sunn fun air ops (2).jpg
    Sunn fun air ops (2).jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
As Cth6 said, there is a big planning meeting this weekend so we'll have more later. As always, whatever we plan is subject to change. (Man plans, God and Florida weather laughs.)

Couple things I can tell you:
-The Warbird ramp will have a very different feel. The recent mess overseas has messed up our carefully laid plans, but we're still hoping to have some cool **** there.
-Thunderbirds arrive Monday, but will not fly or do appearances until their practice show Thursday afternoon.

-If you stay Saturday there is only a very narrow window to depart before the night airshow. Be ready to go.
-NO departures after the night airshows.
-If you want my personal advice, don't try to leave Saturday unless it's first thing in the morning after the balloon launch.

Friday evening is my favorite time on the grounds after the crowds have gone home and the flying parties are hopping. Wednesday is fun, too, watching the night airshow. Tuesday is exciting because things are just getting rolling and it's the happy chaos day. Monday is good, people are fresh, if you want to jump in and lend a hand people could always use one. Sunday is mellow, most people have left, the field is emptying. Shoot, any day that ends with a "y" is a good day there.

Have fun, but BE SAFE!!! We love seeing repeat visitors.

Last edited:
Update from Chairman's Meeting

Basically it is going to be a busy week at Sun n Fun.

The FAA Hangar will be closed again this year.

Gene Conrad will be taking over from Lites as the new CEO on the 10th of April.

Ticket sales are very strong, significant up from last year.

There are a few camp areas moving. Ex. Juliette is no more due to the new ILS.

Bikes are only allowed in the campgrounds this year. No more riding around the
ground after hours. All motorized devices (one wheels, razors, ....) are a no-go anywhere unless it is a mobility device.

There was a bunch more, but mainly internal logistical changes. Only a month to go.

Maps

Will someone send a link to layout of the venue, please? I looked on the website but cannot find something (does not mean it's not there). I'd like to know where various venders are located and such.

Thanks,
Mike

Will someone send a link to layout of the venue, please? I looked on the website but cannot find something (does not mean it's not there). I'd like to know where various venders are located and such.

Thanks,
Mike
You did not look hard enough :D

https://flysnf.org/exhibits/current-exhibitors/

Post it in the thread for everyone. Mike from what I remember the one day I attended over 15 yrs ago, it is not as elaborate as Airventure.

http://www.mustangaero.com/News & Events/Sun-N-Fun_Upcoming.html

http://www.mustangaero.com/images/News/SNF2015/mapSNF.jpg

Last edited:
Mike from what I remember the one day I attended over 15 yrs ago, it is not as elaborate as Airventure.

Bang on. It's got a little bit of everything, it's about a half-scale or 2/3 scale Oshkosh. The homebuilt camping guys are a cut above Oshkosh though, with the nightly meals - that part is top shelf and keeps me coming back.

This will be my first time joining a fly in though it will most likely be a day trip on Saturday. Following this thread to see how things are changing on the procedures side of things.

I haven't seen a NOTAM come out yet. Planning to probably fly down and do the homebuilt camping thing for the first time. I'm assuming that given it's scaled-down from Oshkosh, the facilities and such are tolerable walking distance, looking at the map? Should I even worry about packing anything cold, like for a beer tasting swap or anything?

Advance sales are breaking records. People are chomping at the bit to get out and play.

This will be my first time joining a fly in though it will most likely be a day trip on Saturday. Following this thread to see how things are changing on the procedures side of things.

-Read the Notam, read it again, chair fly the arrival, then go to Google Earth and chair fly it, looking for the landmarks. Do it for both 26 and 08. If you have a right seater, make up a checklist for them about where you should report/be to back you up so you can concentrate and flying the airplane. But don't make it overly detailed, keep it simple. (20 out: ATIS 128.25, Monitor Arrival 124.5, Fly northside Lake Parker, 100 kts, 1,200' MSL.)

Here's a link to the 2021 NOTAM, I don't want to promote negative learning but the procedures hardly change year-year. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...TAM-2021.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1y0AZup4MjGP9XbhRYFirj

-Get there early. You'll have the pattern to yourself and won't feel as rushed as later in the day (like after 0900).

Looking forward to having you come. My first fly-in was the California International Airshow, the year the Mig-29 and the Red Arrows were there. (1992?). I read the Notam over and over again, but was still task saturated coming in. If you don't study, it will be hard. If you study and bring your A game, you'll do great, and don't be afraid to tell every pilot you meet that it was your first time. We've all been there.

Is the grass "Wheel-pants friendly"?

We'll have a better feel for the grass the week before the show, but if I was flying in and could (legally) remove my wheelpants, I would. Why look for trouble? And we will never burn the grass off instead of cutting it again.

I haven't seen a NOTAM come out yet. Planning to probably fly down and do the homebuilt camping thing for the first time. I'm assuming that given it's scaled-down from Oshkosh, the facilities and such are tolerable walking distance, looking at the map? Should I even worry about packing anything cold, like for a beer tasting swap or anything?

It depends on what kind of shape you're in, how heat tolerant you are, and how the weather breaks. Using Google maps and making a rough loop around from HBC-vendor booths-flightline-HBC, I'm guessing is about 2 miles, not a bad distance for a relatively healthy person, but a 95F day with 100% humidity will kick anyone's... There are passenger trolleys always moving during the show, but except for motorized mobility devices (wheelchairs, scooters, etc) NO wheeled vehicles are allowed on the field. No bikes, skateboards, hoverboards, etc. allowed on the ramp. I've seen days with multiple medical calls for heat related problems, so I'm a huge advocate for staying hydrated any way you can, and the biggest part of SnF is after the show, when you can walk around and meet other people, look at their planes, swap stories, and a great ice breaker is to swap beers.

To me, the biggest danger at SnF is fire ants. I hate those things. Nuclear weapons are too good for them.

Steve
Sun 'n Fun Air Ops volunteer

I tell people Sun 'n Fun is about 1/3 the size of Oshkosh with a Jimmy Buffett vibe. And when people say "Yahbut at Oshkosh..." I (good naturedly) reply

Attachments

• This ain't Oshkosh (Custom).jpg
    This ain't Oshkosh (Custom).jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
To add to Steve’s comment.

You will be made to purchase tie downs if you didn't bring them or if they are not of the approved type. Basically no dog screw type. A local EAA chapter does the volunteering for the sales and distribution of the tie downs on the field. They are one busy team and you are paying the price $$$ for not packing your own.

As for a day trip on Sat, the night show on Sat is starting earlier this year so you have a smaller departure window after the day airshow.

My experience with wheel pants is normally the drop to the grass is the one area to watch and take slow. I have seen a few damaged pants, but they are the ones that are normally not following the ground crew’s directions. But if you are worried, take them off. The ground crews, in my opinion, do a great job of scouting the area in the days leading up.

For the RV-12s, dont gloss over the paradise city option in the NOTAM. Hidden Jem…

Last edited:
There are passenger trolleys always moving during the show, but except for motorized mobility devices (wheelchairs, scooters, etc) NO wheeled vehicles are allowed on the field.

Steve, a quick clarification please. No wheeled vehicles in the show area is obvious. However, are we still allowed to use motorized vehicles in the west end RV and tent campground?

The online guidance prohibits skates, scooters, etc, allows bicycles, and says nothing about golf carts or 4-wheelers in the campground.

Skateboards, Motorized Skateboards (Go-Peds), One Wheels, In-line skates or “Razor” type scooters are NOT ALLOWED to be used or ridden ANYWHERE on the Sun ‘n Fun grounds! Bicycles are allowed in the RV Campground ONLY - No access to Convention Site or Airside any time of day!

It's a very long walk from the far west cow pasture.

Last edited:
The current FAQ answer is what I recall being communicated out at the meeting. Steve, did you hear anything differently?

BICYCLES & PERSONAL GOLF CARTS are allowed in campground only. No access to Expo Site or Airside any time of day!

SKATEBOARDS, MOTORIZED SKATEBOARDS (GO-PEDS), ONE WHEELS, IN-LINE SKATES or “RAZOR” type scooters are NOT ALLOWED to be used or ridden ANYWHERE on the SUN 'n FUN Aerospace Expo grounds and airside.

https://flysnf.org/guest-services/faq/

Steve, a quick clarification please. No wheeled vehicles in the show area is obvious. However, are we still allowed to use motorized vehicles in the west end RV and tent campground?

The online guidance prohibits skates, scooters, etc, allows bicycles, and says nothing about golf carts or 4-wheelers in the campground.

Skateboards, Motorized Skateboards (Go-Peds), One Wheels, In-line skates or “Razor” type scooters are NOT ALLOWED to be used or ridden ANYWHERE on the Sun ‘n Fun grounds! Bicycles are allowed in the RV Campground ONLY - No access to Convention Site or Airside any time of day!

It's a very long walk from the far west cow pasture.

CAMPING QUESTIONS

Some assorted Camping Questiuons:

• Does the camping area have a charging station OR stations (AC power) to charge things.
  • Is there WiFi?
  • Are there food vendors (good ones), besides the CAMP store?
  • I read there are porta potties and showers...How are the showers, OSH has permeant shower houses along with trailers. Same same?
  • Are there restaurants and stores nearby off site or is it bit of a drive.

My bad guys, I tend to be too narrowly focused on only the operational area and messed up regarding campgrounds, et cetera. Go with what smarter people like Dan and Cth6 said instead of what I said.

Apologies!

If you're dumb surround yourself with smart people.
If you're already smart, surround yourself with smart people that disagree with you.
-Isaac Jaffee

Last edited:
To Steve's defense. We were all told to be flexible, there will be changes as they navigate through the details. Which is probably why the NOTAM has not been published yet. My .02 is keep checking for updated info.

My bad guys, I tend to be too narrowly focused on only the operational area and messed up regarding campgrounds, et cetera. Go with what smarter people like Dan and Cth6 said instead of what I said.

Apologies!

If you're dumb surround yourself with smart people.
If you're already smart, surround yourself with smart people that disagree with you.
-Isaac Jaffee

Some assorted Camping Questiuons:

• Does the camping area have a charging station OR stations (AC power) to charge things.
  • Is there WiFi?
  • Are there food vendors (good ones), besides the CAMP store?
  • I read there are porta potties and showers...How are the showers, OSH has permeant shower houses along with trailers. Same same?
  • Are there restaurants and stores nearby off site or is it bit of a drive.

Unless something changes this year....

Very limited AC power in the camping areas (Well unless you are a volunteer :D ) There were some electrical poles in the camping area, but they are normally reserved for campers with medical needs. If I recall correctly, there are some charging stations in the main expo area and Honda normally sets up a few generator sites to show off their product.

Yes, there is Wifi, but it normally gets pretty busy and slow. Great for checking email. Think twice about streaming video unless you are up really early.

There are food vendors that do a good job as well as a few events, like corn roasts and others. There are a few places outside of the airport by the FBO/Tower, (Subway, Gas Station,...) but those places are usually swamped during meal times. Basically have to get into the car and drive. There is a great little Cuban sandwich shop on the back side of the airport off Pipkin.

Same as OSH for showers. Some hard standing and some trailers. Same with restrooms, with the addition of portajohns.

Steve mentioned red ants. How problematic are they in homebuilt camping?

Hit or miss. If we have been dry for a few days, their mounds are easy to spot and easy to kill. Many of the campground hosts will treat the big mounts. If we have had a bunch of rain, they make ant rafts to start new colonies so they spread out. Best bet is to put your tent on a good old HF tarp. Don't leave crumbs right next to the tent opening. (The are large enough that they can not fit through most tent screens). If you can buy fire ant killer, looks like tiny grape nuts, it will kill them pretty quick. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectra...RCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-302681373-_-202056478-_-N& One bag will last you about as long as a pound of .040 safety wire.

Bottom line. If you see a mound of sand, don't stand on it or right next to it. If you haven't built up an immunity, you will know pretty quick why they are called fire ants.

I didn't think of fire ants.

As far as power I'm going to buy that 230 watt solar panel. I bought a 12 volt freezer fridge. It's going to be nice not having to buy ice all the time, but it does use power. Along with my 500Wh power brick I'll be good. Got to have lots of cold drinks.

WX so far dry w/ highs of 85F, lows 60's. Long range forecast can be off. I've been at AirVenture and is was hotter w/ atrocious humidity. So WX is looking good all week.

Last edited:
B-1B will be at the show as a static. Hope to see it fly in. It would be nice if it did a full burner flyby.

Depends. Do you have green wheel pants? :D
I just watched some YouTube Videos from people flying in and taxing Sun 'N Fun 2019, they show planes being marshalled onto the grass. The turf parking area ground looked pretty good (at least where the video was taken). If in doubt stop and shut down and talk to the ground folks. Usually lips between hard surface and grass can be an issue.

The weather is pretty dry, from end of March and all through Sun 'N Fun April 5-10. If there were days of rain I would say all bets off with soft ground. I am no Florida expert but know summer it rains almost everyday with short thundershowers.

How tight and low are your wheel pants. Are you running standard 5x5's or those small Lamb tires? You do have the option, take the wheel pants off? Yes/No

Last edited:
The weather is pretty dry, from end of March and all through Sun 'N Fun April 5-10. If there were days of rain I would say all bets off with soft ground. I am no Florida expert but know summer it rains almost everyday with short thundershowers.

We will probably see one or two showers during sun’n’fun, its liquid sunshine. Most of the airport is sandy soil. While the water may pool for 30 mins or so post shower, it percolates very quickly. Rain actually makes our sandy soil more compacted and harder. Think of the beach right along the water line. I would avoid taxing through pools of water on the grass.

If we have been dry and the grass is dead, that is where you need to worry. Usually that soil is soft. Think of the dry sand on the walk to the water. This is why we plant grasses on the dunes to stabilize them.

A good hint. Once you put your tiedowns in. Pour some water (1/2 Gal) over the area you disturbed. It will allow the soil to recompact and make the bite even stronger.

I have not been back since they moved homebuilt parking to the end of the world, the conditions were terrible, it was nothing more than a very rough cow field. the taxi routein and out was terrible. tram service was non-existant, and there was none after the airshow ended so walking all the way back was the only option. I vowed to never come back. I was told that improvements would be made, my question is have any improvements been made? I don't want to sound negative, but the conditions that year after the move were completely unacceptable and I really do not want to spend time and money to repeat the experience.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

It has been a few years since we flew in (2016) but homebuilt camping was great. It is far from the main show but the tram service was good. The camp hosts were very helpful and there was food and drink available at the site. They even arranged a steak cook out one evening!

Our real question is about fuel. We prefer Mogas for our Rotax. Will it be available at homebuilt camping? Flying to Winter Haven (KGIF) works but on the field at KLAL is easier and better.

Jim Butcher

It has been a few years since we flew in (2016) but homebuilt camping was great. It is far from the main show but the tram service was good. The camp hosts were very helpful and there was food and drink available at the site. They even arranged a steak cook out one evening!

Our real question is about fuel. We prefer Mogas for our Rotax. Will it be available at homebuilt camping? Flying to Winter Haven (KGIF) works but on the field at KLAL is easier and better.

Jim Butcher

KGIF or the fuel jugs down to WaWa are your only close by options.

I have not been back since they moved homebuilt parking to the end of the world, the conditions were terrible, it was nothing more than a very rough cow field. the taxi routein and out was terrible. tram service was non-existant, and there was none after the airshow ended so walking all the way back was the only option. I vowed to never come back. I was told that improvements would be made, my question is have any improvements been made? I don't want to sound negative, but the conditions that year after the move were completely unacceptable and I really do not want to spend time and money to repeat the experience.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Not sure what year you were here, but homebuilt is infront of NOAA off of Echo. Depending on the winds it can be a great short taxi or a rather long one. Good news almost 100% of the taxi on asphalt. Just until you get to tie downs does it drop to grass. Trams run early and late to this area. It is where volunteers park. Even if there isn’t a tram just flag down a golf cart. Odds it will get you somewhere near the main grounds.

Jim Butcher

+1, Jim. After the show is over I like to unwind by getting some exercise and going for a walk, inevitably I end up in HBC with Donna and her crew, trying to remember to eat more salad and less dessert.

I understand your concerns about Mogas for your Rotax. While my SeaRey is not flying yet I did a week long Rotax maintenance course that was worth every penny, the part where they showed us what 100ll did to Rotax engines was jaw dropping*. I wish I could tell you someone would be generous enough to give you a ride in their personal car to a gas station, but I can't. However, if it helps I can tell you there's a Marathon gas station and small mini-mart just outside the airport, off West Pipkin Road and Yates. 3230 W Pipkin Rd, Lakeland, FL 33811. (maybe offer to buy the beer if someone will give you a ride?)

*https://seareybuild.blogspot.com/2014/10/get-lead-out.html
https://seareybuild.blogspot.com/2014/10/final-day-and-more-example-of-lead.html

I have not been back since they moved homebuilt parking to the end of the world, the conditions were terrible, it was nothing more than a very rough cow field. the taxi route in and out was terrible. tram service was non-existent, and there was none after the airshow ended so walking all the way back was the only option. I vowed to never come back. I was told that improvements would be made, my question is have any improvements been made? I don't want to sound negative, but the conditions that year after the move were completely unacceptable and I really do not want to spend time and money to repeat the experience.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Hi Bob,

I've very sorry you had that experience. Are you talking about where the "traditional" spot Homebuilt (HB) Parking was, right in front of the crowd line, almost at show center, and right by the convention area?

If so, that had to be moved per the FAA a few years ago. As many of you know, during the airshow that area is closed to spectators, but before the airshow manufactures are allowed to fly their airplanes in what is called the "Showcase" fly-by https://flysnf.org/aerospace-expo/airshows-aircraft/showcase-fly-by/. That flight pattern is directly over the old HB Parking, the Feds decided that having airplanes at low altitude over that area was not the smartest/safest thing, and required HB parking to be moved to it's current location, off taxiway E between Vintage and Seaplanes. So in the name of Safety and the FAA, instead of a short taxi off the runway after landing, homebuilts are now required to mix in with other aircraft, and park at the south end of the field. Frustrating, and the Feds really tried to work with us to keep it open, but there was no other solution.

The field, well, I wish I could say it's manicured and taken care of year round like Augusta, but it's not. We do our best to make it a good, safe spot to park your plane, but..... Sun 'n Fun does not own the field, the show is put on with the help and cooperation of the great crew at Lakeland Airport, and I don't know how much money there is in their budget to make it as nice as we'd all like it to be. It's an airport infield, and the parking area is better than the grass runway at my home field. At least no sinkholes have appeared. (shhhh.....)

As far as transportation, I'm also sorry you had a bad experience. Trams are free with admission and run from 8am-8pm, and our volunteer drivers move thousands of people around during the show.

Hope you give us another try,

Steve
Air Ops volunteer
(please don't laugh too much at my rough photoshop skills)

Attachments

• KLAL.apdg_ (Large).jpg
    KLAL.apdg_ (Large).jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Homebuilt Parking

Hi Bob,

I've very sorry you had that experience. Are you talking about where the "traditional" spot Homebuilt (HB) Parking was, right in front of the crowd line, almost at show center, and right by the convention area?

If so, that had to be moved per the FAA a few years ago. As many of you know, during the airshow that area is closed to spectators, but before the airshow manufactures are allowed to fly their airplanes in what is called the "Showcase" fly-by https://flysnf.org/aerospace-expo/airshows-aircraft/showcase-fly-by/. That flight pattern is directly over the old HB Parking, the Feds decided that having airplanes at low altitude over that area was not the smartest thing, and required HB parking to be moved to it's current location, off taxiway E between Vintage and Seaplanes, and instead of a short taxi off the runway you're now required to mix in with other aircraft. Frustrating, and the Feds really tried to work with us to keep it open, but there was no other solution.

The field, well, I wish I could say it's manicured and taken care of year round like Augusta, but it's not. We do our best to make it a good spot to park your plane, but..... there's just no money in the budget to make it better. It's an airport infield, and is better than the grass runway at my home field. At least no sinkholes have appeared. (shhhh.....)

As far as transportation, I'm also sorry you had a bad experience. Trams are free with admission and run from 8am-8pm, our volunteer drivers moving thousands of people around during the show.

Steve
Air Ops volunteer
(please don't laugh too much at my rough photoshop skills in the diagram)

I question your comments about the change in Home built parking because of FAA requirements. You first changed home built parking to the current location and then allowed transient parking in the old home built parking area in 2019. I know, because I requested parking my RV-7a in the re-assigned transient parking area in 2019 event. That's the year you started transitioning to a more commercial business plan.

Sun-N-Fun LLC has changed their business profile from experimental home built to commercial, just like Oshkosh. This show is no longer about home built aircraft. The home built camping area last year was a joke. Poor facilities, poor rest areas, and poor camping areas. For us older pilots, walking to the commercial event areas was nothing less than a trauma, especially with the poor transportation available at the time. And with the future planned changes to the Lakeland airport, it will only get worse.

Even though I now live only 30 min's flight away, After more than 25 years of going to Sun-N-Fun I will no longer be going to Sun-N-Fun. I don't need to spend the increased admission fees and long walks to see the commercial vendors, I can visit them on-line instead. For me, this event profile has changed my acceptance to attend.

I question your comments about the change in Home built parking because of FAA requirements. You first changed home built parking to the current location and then allowed transient parking in the old home built parking area in 2019. I know, because I requested parking my RV-7a in the re-assigned transient parking area in 2019 event. That's the year you started transitioning to a more commercial business plan.

Sun-N-Fun LLC has changed their business profile from experimental home built to commercial, just like Oshkosh. This show is no longer about home built aircraft. The home built camping area last year was a joke. Poor facilities, poor rest areas, and poor camping areas. For us older pilots, walking to the commercial event areas was nothing less than a trauma, especially with the poor transportation available at the time. And with the future planned changes to the Lakeland airport, it will only get worse.

Even though I now live only 30 min's flight away, After more than 25 years of going to Sun-N-Fun I will no longer be going to Sun-N-Fun. I don't need to spend the increased admission fees and long walks to see the commercial vendors, I can visit them on-line instead. For me, this event profile has changed my acceptance to attend.

I'm sorry to hear that, Fred. I've had 3 surgeries on my right knee, a bad left knee I probably should have had done years ago, and I just turned 61, so I have a feeling I know where you're coming from.

With respect to the changes in the parking area, I can only pass on what I've been told from daily meetings and many other encounters with the FAA during the show as an Air Ops volunteer. I think the 2019 parking was an attempt to keep it open in some way, 2020 was cancelled, and for SnF 2021 it was completely off limits. Here's a photo I shot last year from the Air Boss stand when the Thunderbirds buzzed the field, and you can see the lonely, empty parking area in the background. (the people you see in the field are the Blue Angels ground crew around their communications cart.)

Regarding the Home Built Camping area (HBC), almost all the volunteers there are long timers, it's not uncommon to find SnF Pioneers pulling shifts there. If there's a problem it's not for carelessness or neglect, and if you're frustrated they are too, and we're trying to fix any problems.

You're right about the physical changes to KLAL that are coming, I don't know when they're going to start but it's obvious that Sun 'n Fun is going to be different in the future. When the changes are going to start, like the SnF business plan, are way beyond my paygrade, anything I say would be speculation, only serve to confuse things, and distract from this thread about helping people attend this year's upcoming event. I wish I could give you a better answer.

For now, I'm just going to focus on what I can control: doing what I can to make 2022 the best year possible for those who want to come.

Respectfully,

Steve
All comments are my own as a volunteer, and do not represent in any way an official position of Sun 'n Fun.

Attachments

• Tbirds SnF 2021.jpg
    Tbirds SnF 2021.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
I'm planning on flying in my RV8A for the day. Should I be worried about taking off the wheel pants before I fly into the field? I read somewhere that the drop off from the taxi way to grass is a factor?

I'm planning on flying in my RV8A for the day. Should I be worried about taking off the wheel pants before I fly into the field? I read somewhere that the drop off from the taxi way to grass is a factor?

If you can take them off, I would, just so you don't get grass stains on them. That also eliminates the risk of damage.

Last edited:
HB parking

So the showcase fly-bys are more important than convenient HB parking?

Couldn't those flyby's be over taxiway Papa?

"A few years ago". Wow, has it really been so long since I last flew in?

Shame. Loved to meet and talk with old friends, at least for a day.

Finn

I fully agree with you fred, they have shifted their focus. you notice how it went from the SNF fly-in, to the SNF fly-in an expo and now its just the SNF expo?

i understand the requirement for the move was forced by the faa, however, i have questioned why the move was to the far end of the world. I believe it really is due to the shift in mission of the operation. SNF was started as a southern small oshkosh. it was built into what it was by the homebuilt movement and EAA. It has now become nothing more than a profit center for the ACE program.

I was told by someone up it the chain of command after my rant here about the horrid conditions of the new homebuilt parking area that there were great plans to improve the area and it would be a couple of year in the making. he assured me that the homebuilt group was a integral part of the show. From what I have seen, we are not anymore. here we are years later and it seems as if they havent even mowed the grass and or rolled it. is it too much to ask to bring in a couple of loads of dirt to smooth the transition from the taxiway to the grass? maybe if vans airforce members all pitch in and buy one of their corporate hospitality tents we could get a load of dirt in the parking area.

If this is direction that they want to go, so be it, but don't act like they really want the homebuilt group there when all they really want is our money. they really need to remember that those vendors are there to sell stuff, if the aircraft builders leave, so do a lot of vendors. but i guess they will just replace them with more pots and pan vendors, flag pole vendors or hat vendors. if they want to go that way, just stop the fly ins and make it just another airshow.

don't get me wrong, I thank all the people that give their time for free to make the show work, but I really feel that the powers that be would rather see us gone.
as the largest group of EAB airplanes out there I believe that if the vans group does not see improvements in the grounds, we vote with our dollars and say sorry, not anymore and spend our money elsewhere.

bob burns

Everyone is always entitled to their opinions.

I have no input on to how ACE is run but I have seen what they have done to get youth into both the air and mechanic side of aviation. If you goto SnF stop into the Lakeland AeroClub HQ (Where the EAA Chapter leader corn roast is). Just find one of the kids and ask them what they are working on. I have always been impressed at the knowledge and what these kids have achieved. If you choose or cant make SnF look for the AeroClub planes and the kids at local fly ins. Well worth talking to them. I wish I had a program near me like that when I was a kid.

As for HB camping and now even some of the Camper/tent parking moving, you have to ask why. The FAA always wanted that area clear during the air show and the demo passes, nothing new there. Everyone was always asked to vacate that area during the show window. How many times have you heard, "I just stayed in my tent / camper during the airshow. They had no idea I was there" You used to watch people unzip windows because it was getting hot or worse case run to the bathroom because they couldn't hold it during the middle of the show. The FAA didn't yell at the person doing that, they held SnF responsible. It just takes a few bad apples to spoil the fun.

ACE has new leadership this year. Not sure if that is good or bad, but if you don't like things let them know.

I really wish we could go back to the days when I hid in a ditch at the end of the runway at Madera, Lefty Gardner somehow saw me, and strafed me on the way into his passes. Got some great pics with my mighty Pentax ME Super I cherished for years afterward, I was really bummed when some SOB broke into my storage and blindly stole boxes of stuff, including all my slides from back then. Hate to think how badly I'd be in trouble if I tried to pull that now. Great memories....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_x5KfIIQ-UU&ab_channel=DionOsika

I'm sorry we can't give you a better answer to the direction of SnF and the reasons for changes, I have some thoughts from both outside and (slightly) inside about why things are changing, but like I said, I'm hoping we can keep this thread focused on information for those attending this year's event.

Attention: Pilots planning on flying in and arriving on
Monday, April 4, 2022

The US Air Force Thunderbirds are scheduled to be arriving into Lakeland, FL. on Monday April 4, between 1 and 2 PM.

The SUN n’ FUN Aerospace Expo is not only expecting a larger than normal arrivals during this time, but pilots should be aware that there will be a temporary flight restriction (TFR) in place for arrival maneuvers. The US Air Force Thunderbirds will use this time to get familiar with the beautiful Lakeland area in preparation for their performances later in the week. This will NOT be an aerobatic performance, but a non-aerobatic familiarization of the area.

Back