What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hangar Thermostat

Sam_B

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Hey all, I have a question for the smart masses that mill around this forum…. As many of you who live up in the great white north know, winter is well upon us. I usually keep the hangar at 50 when I’m not there and 65 when I am there for a work session on the -8. My current thermostat seems to only work when I have a mini Irwin Quick Clamp hung across the “heat/off” button in just the right way, so it’s telling me that thing is ready to be replaced. Does anybody know if there’s a thermostat available that uses Bluetooth (or some other non-internet phone connectivity) to automatically turn down the heat when I’m not there? I don’t have a traditional internet connection at the hangar, and don’t plan on getting one since my phone’s data works fine when I’m there if I need the internet, so I was just thinking if such a device existed and I have to replace a thermostat anyway, that might be my best bet.

Very cool. I didn't know that they made this thermostat. I've had Switcheon 2-channel cell-phone switch to on/off control my airplane pre-heat for a couple of years now. It's a very well though-out and well-supported device and has been extremely reliable despite a relatively poor cellular signal strength in my hangar. Cellular is no-sim/no-contract and was the simplest, most cost-efficient, and most reliable service I could find.

Unfortunately I don't have a heated hangar, but if I did, I would have a high degree of confidence in this Switcheon thermostat as an appropriate solution.

I have a Nest thermostat in my hangar to operate the HVAC. I have Google WiFi mesh network so have good internet everywhere. It works great but this info will not be much good for you.

I don’t have internet at hangar as well but only use a programmable thermostat. Works great if you have a pretty routine schedule.
I usually get to hangar at same time every day so program to go to 65 degrees 30min before I get there. I set it to drop back to 45 degrees 60 min later so if I don’t come heat turns off. If I am there I just manually bump up the temp if there. I have programmed a second drop back for about the time I usually leave. Heat never gets left on all night.
This works for me as I am pretty regular in going to the hangar. A little extra propane used for hour of heat is running on days I don’t go out to hangar but I have no service charge or cell phone bill to pay.

May be the best option

I don’t have internet at hangar as well but only use a programmable thermostat. Works great if you have a pretty routine schedule.
I usually get to hangar at same time every day so program to go to 65 degrees 30min before I get there. I set it to drop back to 45 degrees 60 min later so if I don’t come heat turns off. If I am there I just manually bump up the temp if there. I have programmed a second drop back for about the time I usually leave. Heat never gets left on all night.
This works for me as I am pretty regular in going to the hangar. A little extra propane used for hour of heat is running on days I don’t go out to hangar but I have no service charge or cell phone bill to pay.

I’ve poured over the internet in search of a ‘service free’ device, but no such luck. I can turn it up when I get there, but I should have it scheduled to turn back down about when I leave in case I forget. I wish I could get to the hangar every day, but life has had other plans lately :(

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I’ve poured over the internet in search of a ‘service free’ device, but no such luck. I can turn it up when I get there, but I should have it scheduled to turn back down about when I leave in case I forget. I wish I could get to the hangar every day, but life has had other plans lately :(

Thanks everyone for the advice.

Is there a way to put the thermostat or heater on a timer?

You could only put the 'off' trigger on the timer........

I have a Nest thermostat in my hangar to operate the HVAC. I have Google WiFi mesh network so have good internet everywhere. It works great but this info will not be much good for you.

Nest would be a great option if he had internet.

Not a fan of the Nest but there are many internet based solutions available now. One that would fit his other needs is one with Geo-fence. You can set a perimeter for when your phone enters the "fence" it changes the programmed temp.

Not a fan of the Nest but there are many internet based solutions available now. One that would fit his other needs is one with Geo-fence. You can set a perimeter for when your phone enters the "fence" it changes the programmed temp.

Nest is a pretty expensive route if you go all in. I have it at home with several cameras, thermostats, and smoke/CO detectors. It's a great system. I wouldn't mind having a Nest camera in my hangar since virtually everyone that works at this rather regional airport apparently has a master key to all hangars. Adding an additional camera wouldn't be that expensive. As mentioned, there are other cheaper options but I bought into Nest long ago before those options existed. Nest works very well and is very convenient and reliable.

In the absence of internet...the Switcheon thermostat seems to be the obvious choice to me. $250 for the device and then $4 per month for the cell beginning only in the second year. I've been very pleased with their switch device for my preheater.

Back