What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MT vs Whirlwind pirep for RV10 wanted

Weefle

Well Known Member
Did a search and couldn’t find the answer so here goes.

I will be needing to order the prop for my RV 10 build soon. This is a standard IO-540 parallel valve with SDS EFI and no cold air induction. Hartzell Governor.

The two props I’m considering is the MT -12-b/193-53 and the Whirlwind 300-3B/B-77.

I can get the Whirlwind for a bit less than the MT but cost wise they are close.
Whirlwind weighs in at 42 lbs the MT is very close to that.
MT is wood core with some kind of composite cover whereas the Whirlwind is carbon fibre I think?

Just looking for some real world experience especially from the Whirlwind users as they seem to be the newest to the market.

Thanks

Keith

Talk to...

Reach out to Mark E. on this forum known as eastonale.

He is running a whirlwind prop.

I am running an MT and can say that it is a wonderful prop, no issues...

Mark and I have nearly identical aircraft and engines and our performance is virtually identical in pretty much all phases of flight...

Hello Keith,

I have had both of the propellers on my -10. I originally purchased the MT at Oshkosh 2018 in prep for my completed build and first flight in May of 2019. I flew behind this propeller for 100 or so hours until June of 2020. Whirlwind was looking for a second test bed for their 300 series prop. I am across the runway from them in San Diego and offered to help. That prop has been on my airplane since then and about 180 hours.

Performance is basically the same. I do think the Whirlwind climbs slightly better, with top end about the same. I would have kept the MT on the plane if not for the offer from Whirlwind.

I have not posted the MT for sale but am planning on doing so. If you are interested send me a PM, happy to chat.

E

MT vs Whirlwind

I’ve flown all including VANS recommended Hartzell
MT has a the best climb of all three and is very smooth, it’s slower than the Hartzell and Whirlwind at cruise speeds.
they do however occasionally show delaminating and cracks in the composite wrap down by the blade root just up from the hub and higher. Cost for rework on an MT. About $6K and Turn around time is high to get it back

Whirlwind has almost as good as climb as the MT and better than Hartzell, is very smooth and is very close to Hartzell in cruise speeds, better than MT, I haven’t had any problems with my blades (185hrs so far) and being close to the factory is sure an advantage..the owners I’ve talked to are very happy with theirs.

Just wondering which prop will take more abuse from gravel or other FOD? Which is easier to repair? Are their significant differences in all composite vs wood core composite cover?

Thanks for all the great info. I’m really leaning to the WW 300.

Keith

Just wondering which prop will take more abuse from gravel or other FOD? Which is easier to repair? Are their significant differences in all composite vs wood core composite cover?

Thanks for all the great info. I’m really leaning to the WW 300.

Keith

I would look closely at who you will contact if you need some work done on the prop. If you have a local prop shop that can work on both, then that's a wash. If you have to ship the prop back to the US or Germany to get fixed, then that's going to be a hassle.

Also, will your prop spend most of its time in a hangar, or outside? Some seem to be better than others at handling the elements.

About FOD and gravel, I would have to guess that a metal prop would be better in this area.

I wonder about the damage tolerance of these composite props too. Is a small nick permitted in the metal leading edge? How about a crack? How about chips in the back and trailing edge?

Yes metal props can be filed, dressed and put back into use. However some composite props just need a little epoxy and good to go. Check with the manufacturers and their prop maintenance documentation.

Service costs ... MT is $$$$$$$$!

Hi,

I cannot comment for other brands than MT, but I will try to avoid MT as :

It is not better than other designs. At least nothing really astonishing.
Cost of ANY maintenance starts with : We need to check the prop, please send us 7K.

A friend of mine has damaged one blade : 7K. Then he borrowed the prop of an other builder that purchased it, and had it sitting unused for a few years. It turned out that this prop was out of balance. And... Please send 7K so we check the prop....

So the MT unit price is 7K. Only for that, I will never buy one MT.

Prop is a pusher 3 blade eletric prop 66 inch for an IO 360.

I might be the only one to have seen such not so nice customer management. but for me, that is it. Will try something else.

Cheers!

Whirlwind weighs in at 42 lbs the MT is very close to that.

Whirlwind includes the spinner, mounting hardware, and backplate in their weight, I don't believe MT does. The MT CS without feather or reversing is "around" 44 lbs, plus 2-5 lbs for spinner, and another 1-2 in bolts. Total installed weight of the MT is likely closer to 50lbs. Hopefully someone has weighed on with all the accessories and can chime in on an exact number.

Hi,

I cannot comment for other brands than MT, but I will try to avoid MT as :

It is not better than other designs. At least nothing really astonishing.
Cost of ANY maintenance starts with : We need to check the prop, please send us 7K.

A friend of mine has damaged one blade : 7K. Then he borrowed the prop of an other builder that purchased it, and had it sitting unused for a few years. It turned out that this prop was out of balance. And... Please send 7K so we check the prop....

So the MT unit price is 7K. Only for that, I will never buy one MT.

Prop is a pusher 3 blade eletric prop 66 inch for an IO 360.

I might be the only one to have seen such not so nice customer management. but for me, that is it. Will try something else.

Cheers!

So...

Completely different to anything the OP would use :confused:

I am on my 3rd MT 3 blade tractor hydraulic prop.

6 year service is about $1500

Slight damage easily tended to by epoxy.

Not the fastest, but the smoothest, about the lightest, accelerates and decelerates well.

Our RV10 will definitely be getting another MT :D

So...

Not the fastest, but the smoothest, about the lightest, accelerates and decelerates well.

It cracks me up when people talk about "the fastest" prop. In reality, the difference between these props is really inconsequential, usually less than 5 knots.

...and then the people with the "fastest" prop go on to say the they cruise way LOP for the fuel flow, which makes the "fastest" prop irrelevant since they have intentionally slowed down...:rolleyes:

So...

What prop shop quoted/charged $1500 for “6 year service”. MT in DeLand, FL quoted me $6K “if” the blades were ok.

I believe there is at least one user on this board who has used the two propellers on the same aircraft...are you talking about the new Whirlwind that was announced last year or the older version? The guy I'm thinking of used the older one, I believe.

Back