What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New Lightweight Billet Flywheels

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
We've just introduced the D4 lightweight flywheel for Lycoming engines. This is designed for engines using rear drive alternators only as it lacks the belt sheave. Weight is just over 4.5 pounds with ring gear. Not suitable for use with crank triggered ignition systems.

Attachments

• d42.jpg
    d42.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 206
  • d41.jpg
    d41.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 138
Yes

...This is designed for engines using rear drive alternators only as it lacks the belt sheave. Weight is just over 4.5 pounds with ring gear. Not suitable for use with crank triggered ignition systems.
THIS IS ME! How much?
If i do not have a rear CG problem, I will definitely be interested. But I am concerned I am too light on my nose already; otherwise I am all over this.

Ever think about making a Lyc flywheel with a smaller alt pulley?
Slowing down the alt would probably benefit many of us.

Ever think about making a Lyc flywheel with a smaller alt pulley?
Slowing down the alt would probably benefit many of us.

It could be done to the same dimensions as the older style ones which have about a 7.5 inch OD sheave. I haven't had any folks call for that to date as there is a decent supply of used ones floating about.

It could be done to the same dimensions as the older style ones which have about a 7.5 inch OD sheave. I haven't had any folks call for that to date as there is a decent supply of used ones floating about.

That is the size I have. Works great for alternator speed. Not so great for trying to install a crank-triggered ignition. Does allow for better cowl clearance though.

Yea but I want a new shiny lightweight one, maybe 8.5" :D
And I don't need full output at idle.

We need the 9.75 OD sheave to mount our crank sensors and magnets so the small sheave or no sheave ones can't be used with SDS. Would work with mags or rear triggered EIs though.

Last edited:
Back