What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cigarette type USB port

dan carley

Well Known Member
I’m having radio interference with the USB port
I’m using for my iPad and stratus it a expensive one
Is there a good one that I can use

Thanks Danny carley

Just installed a GARMIN GSB™ 15, bought from ACS, on sale 25% off at the moment. Yes, still expensive, but TSOed with short-circuit and over-temperature protection.
Gives me some peace of mind over my previous Amazon cheapie...

It's gonna vary from one airplane to the next. Some folks can get away with something from Amazon. Others not so much.

If you're having problems with a non-aviation type cigarette lighter style USB charger, try this one from Sporty's:

https://www.sportys.com/flight-gear-dual-usb-quick-charger.html

If you want a hardwired solution that doesn't cost a couple of AMU's, try one of the BlueSeas Systems marine grade USB ports. They've tested pretty well using the TinySA spectrum analyzer as an RFI snooper. Just try to locate it a few inches away from your radio stack and/or you're headphone jacks.

https://powerwerx.com/blue-sea-1045...s1VZEIAztIVlN6yVkPCzpK4O32o_GshQaAjB7EALw_wcB

Last edited:
I just solved this very same issue, I had significant RF noise in my Dynon radio from my 12 VDC cigarette lighter USB charger. Installed one of these - YONHAN Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Charger Socket, Waterproof Power Outlet Fast Charge with LED Voltmeter & Wire Fuse DIY Kit for 12V/24V Car Boat Marine ATV Bus Truck.

It works great and no more RF noise.

I have been using Anker for a few years - no issues.
https://us.anker.com/collections/chargers?ref=navimenuFeature

Yeah, me too. I have two cigarette lighter ports and leave Ankers in them. One is on the panel and the other is on the aft pedestal. Both of them have a USB-C (with PD and 30 watts) for my iPads and a USB for other stuff. Neither one creates any interference that I can detect, either in my 430W, or the IFD440 that I replaced the 430W with.

Last edited:
I've tried a few of the lower cost options from Amazon. Ended up going with the BlueSeas dual USB 4.8amp unit. Zero noise, I have 2 of them installed going on 50 hours with no issues to report.

This is the 2nd plane I've switched the old 12v plug for USB, the last plane was my test bed and this time around I took a few of the better units from the last test and again landed on the BlueSeas product.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Sys...ocphy=9032017&hvtargid=pla-526768354932&psc=1

I've tried a few of the lower cost options from Amazon. Ended up going with the BlueSeas dual USB 4.8amp unit. Zero noise, I have 2 of them installed going on 50 hours with no issues to report.

If it was just an iPhone, that would work fine for me, but the main thing I plug into these chargers is iPad Pros which use USB-C charging cables and ports. Standard USB can't take advantage of Power Delivery protocol, but over USB-C I can get much faster charging of those brighter/faster (power hungry) iPads. For plain old USB devices, I agree it wouldn't make a difference, but those Blue Seas devices are generally the same price, so I opted for the more efficient (for my needs) Ankers.

Last edited:
I had good luck with the anchor brand cigar lighter style. Also good luck with the blue sea direct wired port.

Anker's Away

I've been using Anker's PowerDrive line of adapters for the past 5 years with good results. I sold over 500 of them with various incarnations of the FlightBox portable ADS-B receiver and never had any noise complaints.

I just solved this very same issue, I had significant RF noise in my Dynon radio from my 12 VDC cigarette lighter USB charger. Installed one of these - YONHAN Quick Charge 3.0 Dual USB Charger Socket, Waterproof Power Outlet Fast Charge with LED Voltmeter & Wire Fuse DIY Kit for 12V/24V Car Boat Marine ATV Bus Truck.

It works great and no more RF noise.

That's great news. I just got one in the mail yesterday to try (and it appears to be the same thing that rocketbob recommends). I think the fact these are machined from billet aluminum helps contain any EFI.

Back