What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Beater plane while building?

gregfuess

Well Known Member
OK Vast unpaid research department, I come again, hat in hand asking for and anticipating thought provoking, divergent opinions.

Vans is sending the wing kit first, crating date in July. So I'm out a while out from flying a self assembled/constructed plane.

Mike Seager, who I hope to transition train with, advised flying consistently (once a week) though the build process. Since I'm building a tail dragger, he strongly advised flying a tail dragger weekly until I'm ready for transition training.

Rentals are expensive, and available tail draggers are few and far between in my little town. But Cessna 120s and 140s seem to be cheap and readily available. I don't know what the buy/sell differential is, but the savings over rental fees could be substantial. Plus they're neat looking (but all planes are, aren't they), if underwhelming in the performance department.

Does buying with the intention of selling a low power, steam gauge, used plane make sense in this context? With an inspection and fresh annual, is this a reasonable plan?

Appreciate any and all thoughts, ideas, recommendations and advise.

That is what I did. I got a 1/3 share in a Texas Taildragger (Cessna 150 converted to conventional gear - a horrible plane). A 140 would be a much better choice.

I sold my share for what I paid for it when the 8A was ready to fly.

Carl

**** yeah! If you have the funds I say do it! 120 is a fun plane, you can do some backcountry flying and will welcome taking a break from building.

Makes sense to me. Those older airplanes could need things like headset sockets. They are pretty noisy - I did my tailwheel transition in a Cessna 120 well over half a century ago, and remember the noise well. We didn't have headsets in my club.

Dave

I bought a C140 after I started my build. It gave me a good way to relax once in a while during the build. I built an A model so did not use it for tailwheel time, flew just because it was fun.
It also kept me pushing forward on my build looking forward to the performance boost. I flew the C140 the morning before my first flight of my 6A. Never flew it again.

I bought a C-152 to fly while I was building. Had fun doing so and also enjoyed fixing it up a bit. It gave me great incentive to finish my RV-10 build.

My deal

I actually had a 140 when I decided to build my RV7. It certainly scratched the itch to be able to fly a taildragger on a budget, while I built. I ended up selling the 140 after my RV was flying. That was a mistake!
I love my RV and continue to enjoy everything about it, but I miss the 140, too.
Should have kept them both! Different personalities but both great little birds...
Jim

Champ

I was a partner in a Champ and found it a great little plane. One thing I really liked was it has a stick which I find much nicer than a yoke. Whole different airplane than my 6a but easy to go from one to the other.

My brother and I decide to buy a 140, so we can get some time built up before the 10 was finished. I tried to rent and build time but all the airports where booked up. We just love it! it’s cheap to fly, burning only 4.7 gph.

I have both a Cessna 140 (showplane) and a Luscombe 8A (ramp tramp with excellent bones). My advice would be to go with the Luscombe. I live at 4,000' MSL in the hot desert. Solo I would take the Luscombe into and out of strips I wouldn't dare with the 140. And that's with 20 less horsepower in the Luscombe. Think Timberon in the Summer. If a Luscombe can land on a surface safely it can take off. The 140 can get into places that it cannot get out of. The 140 is just heavier. I also prefer the Luscombe in cross-winds. It has way more rudder and directional control on the ground than the 140 or about any other airplane I've flown. And instead of the Cessna's yoke, the Luscombe has stick controls, like an RV. And Luscombes are cheaper on the used market.

Notwithstanding all that either one are great birds.

One other bit of advice. Since you are in Houston, take the opportunity to go visit with Bruce Bohannon at Flyin' Tiger Field near Angleton. He can get you up in two or three different classic taildragger designs. Last time I was there he had a Legend Cub, an Aeronca Chief, RV-8 and Pitts. But his repertoire changes often. And he is one of the best tailwheel instructors on the planet.

I bought into a 5-way partnership in a 1968 Citabria and flew that for most of my build. Definitely a beater plane but kept me in the air. No trouble selling my share when I needed to.

Do it

I bought a Taylorcraft BC12D with my airpark neighbor for 11K (bargain deal) and earned my TW rating in it, then put 350 Hrs. on it while building my RV-4. I flew with Mike S. while he was in North Carolina for an hour or so in his -6 long before I finished my -4, but the first flight was uneventful. The many hours in the old T-crate where very affordable, and fun! I eventually sold out of it, but have toyed with getting another one..just too much fun and oh so simple. Of course, the RV-4 will always be my favorite and I have to say it is one of the easiest TW aircraft I have ever flown.

Bought a Pacer and flew it for the 5 years it took to build the -7, lots of fun and if you could land the Pacer the transition to the -7 was a breeze. Still miss the Pacer but am now restoring a Champ for flying that end of the spectrum.
Figs

Eyes wide open

Don’t fall into the trap of 3 I know. Each started their build BEFORE me. Their RV kits still take up space in the back of their hangars, untouched for years. They obviously like flying more than building.

Ya well there is another gotcha.
Probably wouldn't happen BUT.
I have a friend who bought a dozer to do just a bit of work cause he didn't want to rent a machine. And he reasoned that then he would own the machine and have it for future work.
Good idea. Right up until the engine when boom. It's sitting in his field not going anywhere now.
So that said, If you buy a beater to fly, take the time and expense to do a good prepurchase and history search.
Then it will be a real good investment and fun toy.
Art

Get a J3 Cub. You will never regret it

That's what I did and I agree. Get in a partnership. With the building you will be doing you will fly less than you might think.... . At least that is what happened to me. Partnership also splits the maintenance load which takes away from your build time.

Oliver
p.s. I wouldn't call the J3 I had a beater plane though ... .

p.s. I wouldn't call the J3 I had a beater plane though ... .

The C-120 I saw for $12k is definitely a beater, though. Of all the planes mentioned, all are selling for significantly more that this. Single engine ga is definitely increasing in price, even for older, but not collectable planes. Some selling in the $30k range don't even have electricity, I mean, how are those engines even started?

Since you are in Houston, ...

Thanks for the notice, I haven't lived in Houston in 10 years, but I've been on VAF for close to 20, and only now starting my project, all four kits ordered, profile updated today!

Used to take lessons at Harvey & Rihn. I'll check out Flyin' Tiger, though the commute would be a killer!

Last edited:
If you buy a beater to fly, take the time and expense to do a good prepurchase and history search.
Then it will be a real good investment and fun toy.
Art

Agree.
Although the original post was titled with word “beater” I would imagine most of those that have responded here did not really buy a beater. (Flat tires, bird nest in cowl that has been sitting on the ramp unmoved in years) While building, I sure did not want to spend lots of time maintaining a second airplane, so I bought one that was mechanical sound and had been routinely flown and maintained but maybe did not have best paint, interior, or panel. I felt if mechanical sound and corrosion free, the resale value when I wanted to sell, would always be there.
Of coarse there are many opinions on what is a beater.

I had a Tri-Pacer for the first year and a half into my -9A build. I received an unsolicited offer to purchase the Piper so off it went. I was a mission pilot in the CAP at the time, so I was getting many C182 hours to keep my pilot skills sharp. CAP isn't for everyone, but it worked for me.

Back