What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV4 Back seat baggage?

dave_091

I was playing around with putting baggage in the back seat of my RV4.
The picture below is what I came up with.
It is very secure and shifts only slightly when I man handle it.
I haven’t flown with the bag there yet, I wanted you opinions first.
#1, is it safe? Have you guys thought of things that I haven’t thought of.
Thanks for your opinions.

Attachments

• E937F9E1-2AB5-4085-97AE-BDDB05BEEA6A.jpeg
    E937F9E1-2AB5-4085-97AE-BDDB05BEEA6A.jpeg
    832.9 KB · Views: 368

So long as it can't slip and interfere with controls you're fine (and W&B are good). I strapped in 6 gallons of water (single container) to simulate weight of my son who was my first passenger. Wanted to be sure I knew what to expect for flight characteristics.

Same way I secure my bags. I have not had any issues.

Carabiners

I would add carabiners where I could to keep the straps in place.

For example, the two black loops on the "shoulders" of the bag could each get a carabiner around each shoulder strap. This would avoid the shoulder straps sliding off of the shoulders.

If there are the same loops at the "hips" of the bag, you could do the same again. These would keep it from sliding under the lap belt towards the stick.

Then again, I always double knot my shoes...

That’s the only way I’ve traveled with lots of baggage/camping gear in my RV4. I’ve done like you have done by removing the aft stick, and securing the baggage to the seat. Nothing wrong with this in my opinion. Lighter, less dense stuff can go in the baggage compartment.

That's what I do too

In 2019 I flew mine to the OSH 40 year RV-4 gathering, and to support the Sunday beer tasting event, I took 2 cases of NC craft beers..on ice since I would be arriving late Sunday afternoon. I used a military type large duffel standing upright, put all the beer/ice and my heavier cargo like tie downs, tools, oil and supplies in it. It was pretty heavy. Secured with the 5 pt. harness passing through some of the loops an straps on the duffel. I didn't worry a minute about it coming loose, or interfering with the stick. Clothes ,tents ,chairs ect., light stuff went in the baggage compt.

Bag Drag...

Dave,
That's a good technique and also works with airline roller bags, tool boxes and even small air compressors! Installing tiedown straps in the baggage area frees up the rear seat also.
Removing the rear seat altogether (and rear stick) allow you even greater flexibility and a surprisingly large area for carrying larger, bulky items like bicycles. When I built my 4, I planned on Super Cub level utility in the backcountry including forward and rear baggage capabilities. I installed my battery on the firewall allowing the battery box to become a small forward baggage area aka RV8. My tools, canopy cover, survival kit, and the cover has bungee tiedowns for a small back-pack between your legs.

Lots of traveling over many years proved necessity to be a mother of invention!
:)
V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Dave,
That's a good technique...

Lots of traveling over many years proved necessity to be a mother of invention!

Of course you're an F-16 guy, I guess you have to be creative when traveling especially without travel pods. While in Germany in the mid 80s I did see a Norwegian Viper driver stuff a handle of Jack in the drum bay for the trip back to home base. Always wondered how that worked out. LOL

Dave,

I commuted in the RV-4 with big roller bags strapped into the back seat for 5 years. Made a lightweight plywood floor with some anti skid rubber on the bottom to keep from goobering up the paint on the sheet metal floor. Strapped in using the rear cockpit harness.

Bay 5 in the F-15A/C, best trunk ever put into an airplane. Extra engine didn't hurt either ;)

Cheers,

Vac

Dave,

Bay 5 in the F-15A/C, best trunk ever put into an airplane. Extra engine didn't hurt either ;)

Cheers,

Vac

Another Germany story: We're TDY from Bitburg to Deci on Sardinia 1986ish, had a jet with a bad nose strut that needed replaced. So instead of waiting on the supply system they stuffed one into Bay 5 and flew it from home station down to Deci. That big thing, wrapped in upholstery foam just squeezed into Bay 5. Fun getting it out without damaging anything. Hung it on the jet with a problem and it worked just fine. Good times. :D

AG4etVLuq5Ez7Y31Q5RDoeR1lhdYvkTDiq2F4ncJurtAA2PKIUhjVYdxIUbczlUa2orGOrrUemQyBjUdr2tbJ5vidne-ZINBfghxxIG8xMBJ5RHcHCi1DyfeGmM79H2o7QiEaLFVys0h_HFOFGAnHVi9qTjLOeRpQ3yGTR1r4lfQtKrH7M3cCsLXP3-eQADCcrLopZckGEhOSFfjY2ztq6d8ZnLnV8d0fMVdA71jFG_UEI5r1Xem99XPC8qP4xYsnmocvb2feD-sc_lgMBDKsqSro-5mX6GNOc0nFBTYQOIX3olr0mZdSzzsceoFYIdGkelJhmhTj6PNQptY83RTHqRzDQ1AgdVgN3GulyQDzUDSp3XFpSV0DCDGMJzKbFwyLnPF7dO8m-mnTGTfjbTv3OMWAJyGoGT6G40MIKvdHVInghBd6PgAjXF4Irm8-hSNo2dTkhx_mJw8B08ZacPD4-EkGvM7UsfOfkU9QQR-wPRHuKpCibe0YwzViuu2biw8wQp3ozy3PrpLJQRQI3DJM0EofPT5B7uU__hOz_26VBQZG7xUBTIfWRiqIu32s8Fog47T0bHx5QjkAgnDGZSE5O-5_hJ3KzHu9zovvkh-Q_P74Vx1ZUZPKjFiTFG34J3kY13WzMfYFYiiib5fQ9Fm_JThkSOz--REz5liTMMH5PAaFUWrF_3PuYD7u2duzcKrljTNO_mNycEKiGr0xG53mhU=w955-h716-no

RV-4's can carry all sorts of things.

I built a doghouse cover for the rear stick receiver

I built a doghouse cover for the rear stick receiver so I do not have to worry about anything getting in the way of the control. 2 bolts and one screw and it is off or on. A photo of a pair of 29" tires in the back.

Attachments

• 20210220_140518.jpg
    20210220_140518.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 94
I sometimes pull the rear stick out AND seat back for full "Pick-up Truck" mode... If it fits, it ships! (within safe margins/rules/etc etc)

This was my gear on the way to Petit Jean 2021. (Not picture, full 3.5 smoke tank in the baggage area as well)

Attachments

• IMG_5069.jpg
    IMG_5069.jpg
    537.6 KB · Views: 120
Back