What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Temporary Canopy Shade

Steve Watkins

I'm planning my 1st trip to Osh this year and looking for options for canopy shade so I'm not sunburned after the 9 hour flight there from Socal. I don't want to install a Kroger style shade because it will only be for this round trip. I like having the unobstructed view in my normal flight ops. Looking for recommendations for a removable tint film or similar that wont damage the plex when removed.
Thanks!

Tint film

I bought some tint film in the auto section of Walmart. Give it a bit of static electricity rubbing it on your pants leg. Great for shading the IPAD.

Last edited:
I bought some tint film in the auto section of Walmart. Give it a bit of static electricity rubbing it on your pants leg. Great for shading the IPAD.

+1 for what Al said. My wife has been using these for years. Tinted vinyl that you can see through, rolls up small when not in use, and you can move it easily to where the sun is at the time.

Static vinyl

We use the static cling vinyl shades- have 4 of them, roughly 8x11 your can put them anywhere you need to.

repost of old idea

I built these up in 2015. Pictures are gone from old post. They are still going strong. The one in the back completely covers the passenger. My wife won't go on trips without it.

My main criteria is to not touch the Plexiglas. Items used:

2 Walmart automotive windshield shades. The large ones with the metal ring on the outside that takes a masters degree to close. I used the two pieces of shade material attached down the middle. A portion of the metal rings used for the bows. The riveted attachments keep them in the right orientation.

Four PVC snap clamps as shown in the photo. (Found on line in greenhouse supplies for clamping plastic sheeting onto 1/2" PVC pipe.)

Medium thickness felt from Home Depot for the inside of the clamps.

The material gathers at the top and front clips slide to the middle when increased visibility is desired. Easy in and out.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/yeddfVrSZmu15bab9

Garbage bags

Unfold, cut to size, and rub up against your canopy. Static cling will keep it there. Not fancy, but cheap.

I'm planning my 1st trip to Osh this year and looking for options for canopy shade so I'm not sunburned after the 9 hour flight there from Socal. I don't want to install a Kroger style shade because it will only be for this round trip. I like having the unobstructed view in my normal flight ops. Looking for recommendations for a removable tint film or similar that wont damage the plex when removed.
Thanks!

I use Rosen Shades from Spruce, suction cupped so you can move them around, or not at all.

For future builds, you can order UV blocking plastic canopy material from Van's for installation. Well worth the additional cost (minimal). I can fly all day and not get sunburned or have to slather on sunscreen. The Koger shade is well worth considering. Retracted it slides back and out of the way of any view obstruction. For other times when the sun is coming in low, we have the stick on baby shades and it works fine to block any direct sunlight.

I use white static cling so it doesn't absorb heat against the plexi.
Been on since before Oshkosh last year,
It covers the back half of canopy from seats back and a small piece on top. My panel mounted ipad hasn't overheated since I installed it.
Got it cheap from amazon

Last edited:
A big hat

I wear a big floppy "crusher" boonie style lightweight fishing hat and a while T-shirt . I don't particularly like to even touch the inside of the canopy let alone stick things to it. I also do not like to induce blind spots, especially going to OSH. If you fly with Halos or any in ear headsets, a big brim hat and sunglasses are easy, and high altitude cruise will have you plenty cool.

Back