What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Linking throttles and other

Freemasm

Well Known Member
I've got ideas but a new thread was needed here anyway. What methods (please share details) did you previous builders use to link the front and back seat throttles? Bowden cable? Make a rod linkage? etc. I'm using the DJM quads from Flyboy accessories.

While we're at it, rear quad placement? The #6 bulkhead occupies (what seems to be) the optimal position. My thinking is between the 5&6 stations to maybe make any rear seat manipulation more of a conscience effort. I've already shortened the lever throw.

Thought are appreciated; related experiences even more so. Thanks.

Mine has an external pushrod with a bend at the front end that connects to the front throttle. The rear throttle lever is just a piece of flat stock with a knob on it.

Attachments

• 6166FCD7-722E-47EF-849C-B279CEE85E9D.png
    6166FCD7-722E-47EF-849C-B279CEE85E9D.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 180
If you have access to RV-8 plans , or $10 condensed plan set from Vans, drawing OP02 shows lever & linkage I’ve seen in a number F-1 & Harmons.

Solid rod runing through the bulkheads and a lever on mine. Thinking about changing to a ball on the end of a rod to save some weight and simplify things. Throttle in back is emergency use only - mixture and prop are all up front and can be pushed in with the passengers foot during said emergency.

Rear throttle

I went with the kiss rule. I believe the throttle quads front and rear are Flyboy accessories.

Attachments

• BF26CA9E-3EB1-40CA-A4D8-417E6DB0CB24.jpg
    BF26CA9E-3EB1-40CA-A4D8-417E6DB0CB24.jpg
    295.5 KB · Views: 168
Back