What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone gotten a -12iS kit recently, or getting one soon?

Kit delivery scheduled!

Just scheduled dropoff with ABF. Wing kit was $1,029 to San Antonio, TX so kind of on the lower end of $900-$1,300 estimate.

Hi Nate,

The kits I'm picking up will be uncrated so they will be easier to arrange than if they were in huge boxes. I plan on the spars riding on the roof rack. Worse case I will have to rent a U-Haul trailer.

My friend and co-builder is a serial offender having built for himself an RV-6, RV-10 and an RV-12, as well as having helped many others build their RVs. He's also an EAA Tech Counselor. One of his "assists" was for an RV-12 builder that received his RV-12 Fuse kit totally demolished by the freight company. He did his research and determined he could fly to Van's in his RV-10 and load up the replacement fuse kit in the back of his 10! He has pictures of Dick inspecting his load!

I'll post how the trip goes... maybe not if it goes horribly wrong! :eek:

I've been through Salida a bunch of times. We'll have arrange a meetup when we both get our 12's flying!

Yippee!

My wings came today! Puncture in the spar crate from a fork but missed the left spar by 1/8” inch 😰 That was close! $480 and change to Monterey Bay Area, commercial address and a quick 5 min drop off. Feel like I lucked out since that’s half of the lower end of the estimates. Was super easy unload with a flat bed backed up to the truck.

Jacob

Attachments

• 16AFD390-BADF-4549-B019-BCAC04DA88E5.jpg
    16AFD390-BADF-4549-B019-BCAC04DA88E5.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 91
  • 388F1DAF-EE58-4442-AFD5-DAEE57A8B3AF.jpg
    388F1DAF-EE58-4442-AFD5-DAEE57A8B3AF.jpg
    303.8 KB · Views: 104
  • 756B8C50-1624-4429-9139-FD167A85378E.jpg
    756B8C50-1624-4429-9139-FD167A85378E.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 104
  • 688CB1B8-C2F1-47B3-9498-A4331AAA9EB8.jpg
    688CB1B8-C2F1-47B3-9498-A4331AAA9EB8.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
The RV Grin is real

Just got my wing kit and can't stop smiling....haven't even pulled a rivet yet. Hahaha.

Trip to Van's

I made it to Van's and picked up the Powerplant, Wing, and Fuse Kits, and brought them to their new home. I spent almost two hours loading, making sure things would ride well and not beat each other up.
The spars and a couple of other longer parts went up top on the roof rack. It appears that everything made it back in as good of shape as when loaded.
Now the fun begins!

Attachments

• MtOre.jpg
    MtOre.jpg
    435.6 KB · Views: 92
  • Van.jpeg
    Van.jpeg
    7.4 KB · Views: 315
  • EngInCrate.jpg
    EngInCrate.jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 100
  • EngGoodies.jpg
    EngGoodies.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 97
  • Parts.jpeg
    Parts.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 131
I made it to Van's and picked up the Powerplant, Wing, and Fuse Kits, and brought them to their new home. I spent almost two hours loading, making sure things would ride well and not beat each other up.
The spars and a couple of other longer parts went up top on the roof rack. It appears that everything made it back in as good of shape as when loaded.
Now the fun begins!

Congratulations. It's great to see Van's starting to crank out some kits.

I don't know if you've dug into your engine documentation enough to know this yet, but it looks like your engine has red valve covers and may be the limited edition of the 912is. If so, it should come with 100 and 200 hour maintenance kits and may include an extended 3 year R.E.S.T. (Rotax Extended Service Terms) warranty. See this thread for more info: https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=195534

I had no idea!

It does come with 2-100 Hr service kits and 1-200 Hr service kit... there's a whole bunch of stuff in the shipping box and I did see something about limited edition. Yes, red covers everywhere.
Thanks for the link, I'm off to check it out!

Last edited:
Does anybody have dimensions of the crate the engine kit and the finish kit come in? I’m trying to make sure I have room in the garage before they arrive in the next month or two.

I did get an email the other day saying my Garmin Avionics kit , ordered in February, changed to “part being produced”.
What does that mean exactly?

I did get an email the other day saying my Garmin Avionics kit , ordered in February, changed to “part being produced”.
What does that mean exactly?

Not much. That was an internal change on the website to more accurately denote the status of a kit that's entirely outsourced. It means it's in Stein's queue to be done.

Not much. That was an internal change on the website to more accurately denote the status of a kit that's entirely outsourced. It means it's in Stein's queue to be done.

Not sure about that - I think Vans does some of the parts & ships it to Stienair to be completed. Mine changed from "Parts being produced" to "Assigned to Crating" at the same time I got a Bill of lading for a shipment from Vans to Stienair. So I am currently showing Assigned to Crating at Vans & I am in Stienair's production queue. (Fortunately they have all the parts, just waiting for their factory to get to me.)
Not sure why I got a copy of the bill of lading - I did not have to pay anything. Maybe just a easy way of updating status

Since the inception of the kit status page, my avionics status has read shipped-complete. All that time it had been sitting at Stein Air. Somewhere in the last several months, I received an email stating a problem had been encountered with a new design Servo from Garmin that was not talking to the rest of the system. A few weeks after another email stated the engineers at Garmin, Stein Air and Vans were all working to resolve the issue. Shortly after that, yet another email stated the issue was resolved and my kit would be shipping as soon as it could be assembled, configured, and tested... a couple of months later I contacted Stein, inquiring about the status, and they stated waiting on parts from Garmin!
A couple/few weeks ago I again contacted Stein about the status and they stated parts had arrived from Garmin "That day" and the kit would be shipped as soon as it was configured tested, etc. A little over a week later it arrived at my home, not at the shipping address I had requested it be sent to. Always fun to find $40,000 sitting on the porch untouched by porch pirates!

All this time, since day one of the kit status page on Van's website, it showed "Shipped - Complete"

I believe as soon as Van's ships the parts they have in stock to Stein Air your status will change to- Shipped - Complete. Then Stein will wait for any other parts needed for your order to arrive, drop shipped directly from whoever your manufacturer is before they will work on your kit.

Last edited:
Another OP update

Picked up my tail & fuse kits today; they were both assigned to crating two weeks ago just ahead of their crating windows. A few backordered items in the fuse kit, but the tail kit seems complete.

Oh, and the tail kit came in a larger-than-usual crate (a -10 tail crate?), which meant that the kits had to be stacked in the 16’ truck I rented, which made unloading more complicated than I’d planned. (Van’s did warn me about the larger crate, but I didn’t measure to make sure the kits would fit unstacked. I offered $100 to three nearby construction workers to help unload - they helped, then refused the money!)

Van’s also asked for the finish kit balance today (two days after the start of its crating estimate), so that should crate shortly too.

Wings and fuselage embarked on their 2-week cross country trip on Monday, right at the end of the crating window. It probably prolonged the wait, but I'm grateful Van's was able to send both kits in one shipment so I'll only have 1 shipping fee to pay. Expecting it to be 5 times what I paid for the empennage!

Received Crating Email and Request for Final Payment on Finishing Kit

Yesterday I received the email and made the payment, so Finishing Kit is a few weeks from shipping.

You're really steaming through the kits! Do you have a build log?

I’ve steamed through collecting the kits, but I’ve barely gotten started working on them - since I got the wing kit first, I’ve been trimming/deburring/scuffing all the ribs while waiting to really start with the tail.

I’ve been recording most of my work on video and will eventually start a YouTube channel, but since it’s been mostly deburring & scuffing, it’s pretty boring. (I’ve been avidly watching many other builders’ videos, and the standard is high!)

iS Finish kit

Just received 'request for final payment' for my finish kit. Upon receipt it will go to 'crating'. Kit was ordered 05-19-21 (14 months! ago!)

KEG

Finish Kit crating.

Vans sent a request for the final payment of the finish kit. This will be #5 out of 6 kits to arrive. Still waiting on the Emp kit!
Meanwhile, wings are starting to sprout!

Attachments

• TipEnd.jpg
    TipEnd.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 179
  • CT End.jpg
    CT End.jpg
    400.3 KB · Views: 184
Received my Emp kit yesterday! Left Van’s Monday morning and received it Wednesday at 11am. I’d say that’s better than Prime shipping 😂

Attachments

• AAA726A2-B5C1-4A02-B44E-C7EFE314DBB4.jpg
    AAA726A2-B5C1-4A02-B44E-C7EFE314DBB4.jpg
    419.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 7C1D3763-FF12-450B-897D-30DD5292CF49.jpg
    7C1D3763-FF12-450B-897D-30DD5292CF49.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 144
wings

order placed in January, wings arrived YESTERDAY!!! Crates look perfect but will wait to open them after all has been moved to the hangar.

Attachments

• image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 165
Wing and fuselage kits arrived today in good shape. Of course, there's always something: they appear to have omitted the fuselage packing list and kit instructions. Not the worst thing to be missing, but it's going to make doing an inventory a little difficult. :)

Correction: The packing list and instructions were in the very middle of the crate underneath everything else. My mistake.

Last edited:
I just received request for final payment of the empanage kit today on the first day of my crating window. Ordered 3/30/22. I'm an hour away, so I'll pick it up will-call when it's ready. I think I'll order the wings when I go to pick it up.
Time to get some tools and get my garage organized. It's been a frustrating week because I've been home from work, recovering from COVID, but it's been over 100f every day, so no working in the garage, despite all the free time.
Hoping to be retired from my airline job in 14 months, so my goal is to have at least the tail and the wings finished before then. About a three year wait for a hangar where I'm at (4S2 Hood River, OR) so the timing should work out on that I hope.
Jeff

My avionics arrived while I was at KOSH. Dual screen Garmin setup, ordered 10/1/21, received by Steinair on 4/27/22. The F-00044G-2S (coated Garmin autopilot center panel) is the only item listed backordered.

For those keeping track, that's approximately 10 months after ordering, and 3 months at Steinair.

picked up my finish kit today at Vans, sadly backorders! so tell me how this works, i have to wait for all the B/O parts to show up then request the documents package, submit papers, find a DAR willing, register the aircraft with FAA = 5-6 months waiting for FAA to finish registration? before i can test fly?

Waiting on that same finish kit...still assigned to crating - anyone else get theirs shipped yet? Ordered 7/7/21.

My finish kit was ordered around 8/20/21; estimated crating dates at the end were 7/18/22-8/8/22. Paid balance when they requested it on 7/20/22. Picked up at will call on 8/4/22; brake master cylinders, engine mount standoff, lower firewall, and a couple other minor things were backordered.

Three weeks ago Van's said my finish kit was ready to go to crating, sent final payment... still waiting.
Last week the emp kit was sent to crating so my builder and I jumped into his RV-10 and flew up to Aurora and picked it up so he could get it started.

Yes, it will fit with the baggage compartment bulkhead removed utilizing several feet of the 10's tail cone.

My finish kit was ordered around 8/20/21; estimated crating dates at the end were 7/18/22-8/8/22. Paid balance when they requested it on 7/20/22. Picked up at will call on 8/4/22; brake master cylinders, engine mount standoff, lower firewall, and a couple other minor things were backordered.

Interesting....not a peep on shipping...Called Vans to see when the finish kits are shipping...they told me they're waiting on parts - like canopy. Guess they're not filling orders in order received...I ordered mine early July '21. 13.5 months waiting....less than thrilled.

Interesting....not a peep on shipping...Called Vans to see when the finish kits are shipping...they told me they're waiting on parts - like canopy. Guess they're not filling orders in order received...I ordered mine early July '21. 13.5 months waiting....less than thrilled.

Hey, that ain’t right…not at all. You’ve paid it in full? Dang.

Yeah buddy - all paid up before they asked - got all the kits...just waiting on this last one - can't work on the canopy in the winter up here in the north...clock is ticking.

I'm thinking if you're "will call" they get the parts first or something since I think those are the only folks that got them so far. If I'd known that I'd drove down to get it.

GOT YOU BEAT!

12-iS Finish kit ordered May 2021. Paid in full 7-21-22 (upon Van's request). Status portal still showing "Assigned to shipping Jul 18 2022 - Aug 8 2022". Still waiting with no update from Van's. THAT IS 15 MONTHS SINCE ORDER DATE!

Finish kit ordered April 1, 2021. Same story as others as far as making final payment in July as requested. Mine will call and I have not heard anything. Mine is not a full finish kit as I had procured the original RV-12 finish kit before I decided to change over to the 12iS version when it came out. Bottom line I don't need the canopy or canopy frame as well as some other items. Vans agreed to allow the partial kit because of the circumstances and still building as ESLA. Looking forward to getting the notification!

I ordered the empennage kit 3/30/22 and picked it up will call today. There are a few backordered items that will ship later. I put in the wing order while I was there as well. I was in and out in about 15 minutes!

Last edited:
Vans updated my kit status today for my finish kit that had been assigned to crating dates July - August 8. Now it is showing October 4 - October 18 as assigned to crating date. Have not received any other communication from Vans. That will put me out to 19 months from order date. 😮

Vans updated my kit status today for my finish kit that had been assigned to crating dates July - August 8. Now it is showing October 4 - October 18 as assigned to crating date. Have not received any other communication from Vans.

Exactly the same scenario for me.

Same boat. I’ve been a very patient man up to this point. Haven’t sent any status check emails, haven’t made any calls asking for updates. I pay them their money, get a crating window, then get pushed off two more months without explanation other than the canned explanation. I’m livid.

Vans updated my kit status today for my finish kit that had been assigned to crating dates July - August 8. Now it is showing October 4 - October 18 as assigned to crating date. Have not received any other communication from Vans. That will put me out to 19 months from order date. 😮
My Finish Kit order has also been pushed back to a posted crating date of Oct 4 to 18, 2022. Order was placed on 5-19-21. Final payment requested and paid on 7-20-22. I contacted Van's after receiving the latest notice and was told they were "...having a problem getting canopy frames in". An Oct. crating date will put me at 20 months! Not to mention that Van's is sitting on full payments for products they cannot deliver. I would suggest Van's do what they have done in the past... If they are waiting on a few parts, go ahead and ship what they have of the kits so we builders are not sitting idle for months. And then, they should absorb the costs of shipping the back-orders. These constant delays are not doing Van's 'word of mouth' advertising any good!

"We are ready to start crating your kit! To do so, we will need to collect your final payment. Please refer to the order acknowledgment attached for the remaining balance due."

$9,645.xx and over a month later still no word on a pickup date. The same thing happened with my empennage kit only it was almost nine months from full payment to pick up!

Ordered my fuselage kit on Tuesday 9-27… no email accepting the new order submission but I figure that will take a week or two. Hoping they nail the March - April estimate. 🤞🤞 That would be great timing on my completed wings and emp.

Also if parts show on backorder on my kit status page but those same parts are in stock on the vans web store… how long before they ship?

Jacob

I ordered my wings about a month ago and I just got an estimated crating date of April 14-June 28 a few days ago.

Back