What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safety Directive SD-00001 for RV-12/12iS - Elevator Trim Servo

The wires coming out of the new trim motor are: ORN, GRN, BLU, WHT AND BLK. The wiring harness, P30, to power the trim motor, has wires colored: WHT/ORN, WHT/GRN, WHT/BLU, WHT, WHT. So which WHT, WHT goes into the D-sub connection holes 4 and 5? Or, does it make any difference?

ORN to WHT/ORN, GRN to WHT/GRN, BLU to WHT/BLU. As to the two white wires, yes, it makes a difference. Before setting the male pins in the D-sub, I temporarily inserted all of them in the female side to confirm the actuator was moving in the correct direction before inserting them into the connector. Just look at your EFIS and verify trim up button causes the display to move trim up.

Here is the quick response I got from Tony Kirk at Van's:

Good morning Chuck,

Yes, it will make a difference which white wire is connected to the black wire. See the latest KAI section 11iS/U?08.

https://www.vansaircraft.com/service-information-and-revisions/11is-u/

The two white wires in the original harness change polarity based on the position of the trim switch. If your trim is running opposite of the direction it should run, switch the wires in pins 4 & 5.

Test the trim motor for proper function by following the steps in Section G2 of the Production Acceptance Procedures (PAP).

https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/RV-12iS-PAP.pdf

Thanks,

I just wired this yesterday. Yes, it looks like two white wires.. but the one with the black stripe has a very very light "D" written on it instead of a stripe. No guarantees that that's the same wire you picked as black at the db9 connector connected to the power distribution pc-board.

I just hit 1000 hours, it’s time to change the trim motor. Does anyone know if Ray Allen still honors the replacement deal?

The wires coming out of the new trim motor are: ORN, GRN, BLU, WHT AND BLK. The wiring harness, P30, to power the trim motor, has wires colored: WHT/ORN, WHT/GRN, WHT/BLU, WHT, WHT. So which WHT, WHT goes into the D-sub connection holes 4 and 5? Or, does it make any difference?

When my servo arrived, there was a single piece of white paper in the box. I believe one side had ads for their products and the other side had the wiring diagram for the new servo. The paper was folded with the ads out so I never opened it. Thought it was junk mail. When I went to clean up after finishing the job is when I discovered the schematic. This of course was after asking everyone how to connect it lol....
I connected mine with environmental butt splices.

Last edited:
I just hit 1000 hours, it’s time to change the trim motor. Does anyone know if Ray Allen still honors the replacement deal?

I talked to Ray Allen, they will do the replacement for $150.00, 1/2 price of a new trim motor. They will take your old motor but is is not necessary.

The parts to change the tray, bushings and connector are $37.73 + shipping.

Back