What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

GPS-175 and GTR-20 vs GNC-355.

akschu

Well Known Member
Patron
I need a radio and a navigator.

Looks like the GNC-355 is 1/2lb lighter than a separate GPS-175 and GTR-20.

I have an audio panel so the intercom and bluetooth don't do anything for me.

I guess the difference for me is a little bit of weight savings and external buttons vs $1000 savings and another box to mount.

What am I missing?

Buttons

May not be specifically relevant to your use case but I swapped out the GTX 327 transponder and put in the GNX 375 rather than just add a 175 to simplify and clean up the panel. Entering a transponder code is now a few more keystrokes (touch xponder, enter code, touch "enter") versus the 327 direct entry. Probably somewhat similar with the integrated comm system.

Not really a big deal but it is different.
Figs

Thanks for the reply, I don't think that's a huge issue for me since the vast majority of frequency input will come from tapping an airport in the g3x.

Does anyone know of any functional difference between the radios? I know that the GTR-20 has 3d audio or whatever, does that matter?

schu

I am having to make somewhat of a similar decision, as my GNC250XL is misbehaving. I am thinking of installing a GTR 200A and the Garmin 175 Navigator as a replacement. The GNC 355 is quite long, thus I would have to hack up the sub-panel in my 6A in order to install it. I did ask Garmin at Oshkosh about any advantages of using the GNC355 over the 175 and a GTR 200A and really didn’t get a definitive answer. Other than ease of wiring with the GNC 355, I am leaning towards saving a $1000 and going with the 175 Navigator and the GTR 200A.

John C

I am having to make somewhat of a similar decision, as my GNC250XL is misbehaving. I am thinking of installing a GTR 200A and the Garmin 175 Navigator as a replacement. The GNC 355 is quite long, thus I would have to hack up the sub-panel in my 6A in order to install it. I did ask Garmin at Oshkosh about any advantages of using the GNC355 over the 175 and a GTR 200A and really didn’t get a definitive answer. Other than ease of wiring with the GNC 355, I am leaning towards saving a $1000 and going with the 175 Navigator and the GTR 200A.

John C

Good point on the length of the combo units, same issue with the GNX 375 and I did have to modify the sub panel. I also added the new front access panel kit to be able to get to the back of the unit.
Figs

John C

Did anybody else go try to find out what a GTR 200A is? I did. I had never heard of the A model. I guess he's talking about the straight GTR 200. Got me good on that one. Garmin has a lot of nuances with it's model numbers. For example, I have a GAD 29C here which is a later yet equivalent version of the straight experimental GAD 29. The TSO'd GTR 225 comes in six flavors, the GTR 225 (25Khz), GTR 225A (25/8.3 Khz), GTR 225B (16W) and then the H (helicopter) version of each respectively. One letter makes a difference.

Did anybody else go try to find out what a GTR 200A is? I did. I had never heard of the A model. I guess he's talking about the straight GTR 200. Got me good on that one. Garmin has a lot of nuances with it's model numbers. For example, I have a GAD 29C here which is a later yet equivalent version of the straight experimental GAD 29. The TSO'd GTR 225 comes in six flavors, the GTR 225 (25Khz), GTR 225A (25/8.3 Khz), GTR 225B (16W) and then the H (helicopter) version of each respectively. One letter makes a difference.

Sorry! Meant GTR200.

Back