What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Many will identify with this

dmaib

Well Known Member
Just finished my Condition Inspection last week and it had a couple of frustrating moments. I came across this and thought it was perfect!
brokenbolt.jpg

Yep

Just started my Condition inspection. Planned to quickly get the compression test out of the way - except #1 tested out at 60 psi with loud hissing through the exhaust pipe :mad:. The "inspection" period just got longer . . . . .

Experienced More Than Once

More than once! Every project I try!

Here is something that made some sense of how I felt after a grueling 1558 mile flight one fuel stop/lunch break for fuel, day ended with 9.9 hours of flying. Some of it unplanned due to a weather reroute.

Slept 11-hours, woke up and drove to breakfast at a favorite location: Was craving a Garbage Can Breakfast Burrito from a local restaurant.

Carla had a new sign up. It explained exactly how I felt at the moment:
Distracted.jpg

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

My annual started with two cylinders that were a little low. Borescope revealed cylinder walls that I didnt like. So 4 cykinders later and its fixed.

No broken bolts on my first condition inspection, but several stripped screw heads that required drilling out and in a couple of cases replacing the plate nuts. I hate phillips head screws!

So true. When I installed the dual electronic ignition in my airplane last year I had to remove the bearings in the accessory case that supported the original magnetos. What was supposed to be an easy task of removing them turned out to be two weeks worth of effort involving the purchase of several different types of tools that didn’t work. Of course once I found the right tool… It was a 20 minute job :)

Haha my version: Every two day condition inspection is one engine mount crack away from becoming a two month ordeal.

I agree... If I could decide exactly what I should buy, I really would like to buy a bunch of the most commonly needed hardware for my airplane.. I have exhaust springs, cowling screws and a few other things, but I really need to get a decent inventory put together so I minimize having to wait on something as simple as an AN bolt to be delivered in the middle of a project..

I agree... If I could decide exactly what I should buy, I really would like to buy a bunch of the most commonly needed hardware for my airplane.. I have exhaust springs, cowling screws and a few other things, but I really need to get a decent inventory put together so I minimize having to wait on something as simple as an AN bolt to be delivered in the middle of a project..
That's a good idea. It's so nice to have spare stuff when you need it. Another option is to become friends with a local builder, particularly of an RV-12, since that's what you fly. I probably have a spare everything for my RV-8 that I will not use until I start my next build.

I did this pretty early on after I bought my flying RV. Basically went through the Van's catalog and bought some of almost every fastener they had.

I also learned pretty quickly to identify the most common screws/washers on the airplane and I've been replacing old hardware with new as I go...for example, remove the wheel pants to service the brakes? Go ahead and replace those worn out tinnerman washers and screws while I'm there.

For reasons I won't go into here, I am preparing for my first CI in October to be....painful. I'm hoping it isn't, but I'm preparing all the same.

So true. Although I must admit it is even more true on cars.... Looks like a car in the background of that sign. At least on the RVs I have worked on there aren't any bolts that are so rusted that it takes hours to get them out. On my cars...Oh boy!

I started my condition inspection in May, found cracks in the LE protection on my prop. So yeah, I know how this goes. Plane is still down, my summer flying plans haven't worked out and now my Biennial is overdue....good times.

Like I always say: We get old too fast and clever too slow.
Put this up as banner in your workshop and enjoy the RV journey. Imagine having to wait for parts for three weeks as we are halfway around the world from the mothership.

Back