What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Horizontal Stab Inspar Riveting

ECAM

Patron
Hello,

I have done a excellent job of messing up the inspar ribs HS-1004 and the nose HS-905 ribs. After to many attempts to buck the universal head rivet’s, I now have to many marks etc in the aluminum rib tabs. These 5 rivets seem to cause many of us problems. I read all the related threads , used a double offset rivet set with a long extension , but still managed to mark up the rivets with smiley faces, and also mark the rib tabs. Also a few holes will need to go up one size. I ordered the nose ribs today. Spoke to vans tech. ,lots of good advice on riveting using the double offset. However after looking at the HS-1004 ribs tonight, I have determined they also need replacing. The aft spar is not yet riveted in so I have access to the inside.

Is it possible to replace them(HS-1004). Has anyone else replaced them. The skins are completely riveted on. Sadly it was two bad rivets that I have learned were actually ok that now have me on the brink of building a new stab. The rest of the stab turned out excellent.
Thanks,

Phil

Have Vans take a look, I haven’t tried to do what I think you are thinking, seems like a lot has to be drilled out. But maybe you can get it to turn axial and pull it out, new piece might get bent a bit, I’m thinking the stringer tabs looking at the drawing.

Best advice on the double offset... you must ensure the gun is perpendicular to the work surface. It's easy to sort of 'average' the offset in your mind, and have the gun at a slight angle, and that will give you a smiley. The second thing is to ensure the gun doesn't 'hop' at all. Good inward pressure and a stable part is necessary here.

Off set

Best advice on the double offset... you must ensure the gun is perpendicular to the work surface. It's easy to sort of 'average' the offset in your mind, and have the gun at a slight angle, and that will give you a smiley. The second thing is to ensure the gun doesn't 'hop' at all. Good inward pressure and a stable part is necessary here.

Couple more tips.
Once you determine where the offf set should be positioned, tape it to the gun so it can't rotate.
Turn up the pressure a little.
Use a small square of Gorilla Tape over the factory head to protect from smileys.

Back