What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Safety wire plyers

Cloudboy

My Milbar reversible plyers have been too stiff since new. My professional mechanic friends said they would loosen up with use. Instead they broke. The right twist is stripped out. The shaft just pulls out without twisting the plyers.
So, which are the best plyers for a reasonable price?

If you are a mechanic, getting the bidirectional is probably the right call. I probably do two or three safety wire applications a month. For that I use an Amazon special one way safety wire pliers. I use the plunger for one way and manually twist the pliers for the other way. There is always a better mouse trap to be had, but the simple one works best for me in my situation.

My Milbar reversible plyers have been too stiff since new. My professional mechanic friends said they would loosen up with use. Instead they broke. The right twist is stripped out. The shaft just pulls out without twisting the plyers.

Milbar should repair / replace them. I love myMilbar the best. They were replace free once when they broke.

Last edited:

I recommend you consider Proto safety wire pliers (made by Stanley Black and Decker). The reversing mechanism on my large Milbar safety wire pliers broke. Milbar "lifetime warranty" experience was painful and slow. I bought the 6" Proto reversing pliers to avoid having to deal with Milbar customer service again in the event of a tool failure. The Proto plier performs fine.

Same Here......

Milbar should repair / replace them. I love myMilbar the best. They were replace free once when they broke.

Mine were so old when they broke that MilBar didn't even recognize the model. They sent a free replacement of the then current model.

I got my A&P in the early '70s and bought them used them.

I have been trying to call Milbar a few times a day for a few days. The call never goes through, just a busy signal and a hang-up. So far no response to my email. I'll keep trying for a while because the pliers were expensive and most people seem to like them.
The advice about Proto is well taken. I used a friend's Protos yesterday and they worked perfectly. I had hoped for better customer service from Milbar. If Milbar doesn't respond I guess it will have to be Proto for quality or Harbor Freight for price.

Back