What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-9A tire size?

flipdoc

I'm New Here
I had a flat main wheel tire today, discovered after completing the oral/pre-flight section of my PPL check ride. It was fine yesterday when I flew. So, I had to take a discontinuance, and hoping to complete this coming Saturday, Nov 26th. I haven't yet jacked up the wing to get the pant off, so I can't see what size the tire is, and I can't find the info anywhere posted here or on the Vans Aircraft site. I'm in a time crunch to get this ordered (Thanksgiving week!). Any one know what size is used on the RV-9A?

Thank you,

Phil Isaac
N557BD
2007 RV-9A

Borrow a wheel -tire?

Maybe you can find someone who will let you borrow their wheel - tire for your check ride if you cant find a tire. Good luck. I took my check ride in my 9A last month.

Since you're not familiar with the tires, you should be aware that these tires have tubes and the likelihood of needing a tire rather than a tube is pretty slim. Tubes are a "stock a spare" item.

I had a nose wheel blow out a while ago, which I replaced with a tube and tire. The main looks like it is a bigger size. Can anyone confirm this please

The nose wheel is a different size, smaller. The mains are 5.00 X 5 as stated above. I agree that you probably just need a tube unless there is some damage to the tire.

Good luck on your check ride.

Do some reading on tire pressure here. Overall consensus...use around 40-45 on mains and 45-50 on nose. Airstop or leakguard tubes recommended. Going into cooler weather can cause lower tire pressures and pinched tubes regardless the quality of the tube.

You get various recommendations on tires and tubes. I use Wilkerson retreads...fantastic family owned business, great customer service, and fast shipping. Their retreads are are about 55-60% the cost of new. I pay the extra money for the airstop tubes as they seem to be higher rated than leakguard.

Back