What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommended Toolkit for RV14A Standard Build

sanman99

I'm New Here
Hello everyone,
I recently purchased the tail kit for an RV14A build and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a toolkit vendor for the RV14A. I currently see that Cleveland tools and Aircraft Spruce both have RV builder kits, with Cleveland carrying a kit specifically for the RV14A. Cleveland I believe has more RV history but they are more expensive. Any thoughts on whether I should go with Cleveland or Aircraft Spruce or a different vendor entirely? Does it make a difference?

Hello everyone,
I recently purchased the tail kit for an RV14A build and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a toolkit vendor for the RV14A. I currently see that Cleveland tools and Aircraft Spruce both have RV builder kits, with Cleveland carrying a kit specifically for the RV14A. Cleveland I believe has more RV history but they are more expensive. Any thoughts on whether I should go with Cleveland or Aircraft Spruce or a different vendor entirely? Does it make a difference?

I bought as many tools from Cleaveland as possible; great quality tools, and customer service is excellent. They cost a little more, but are worth it.

_Alex

+1. Cleveland is a great outfit.

My advice is to get the pneumatic squeezer option, and the DRDT dimpler option.

I did planetools with filler stuff from cleaveland. In every case I've gotten a second tool from cleaveland that I had from planetools (like extra cleco pliers) the planetools is usually a better quality. That said, some of the more expensive planetools stuff goes on sale sometimes and it's best to get things at that time if you can.

I think I own at least one of everything from Cleveland. Also bought direct from Pan American tool, another nova drill and pneumatic cleco gun. I have both cframe and drdt (found an area on a skin I needed the cframe, drdt didn’t fit, glad I had both, but I have used the cframe for back riveting mainly), pneumatic and main squeeze, the hose kit, you name it. As you might hear, get the right tools, they make the job easier, more fun, and many times better quality of build. You’re building a 100k, or maybe even a 200k+ plane, buy the right tools.

ATS is great to work with

I have gotten the majority of my tools form ATS. I find the prices reasonable, and when there is a sale (about two a year, one around AirV), even more so. They have customized kits (drill & rivet gun) for me, and when there has been an issue, they were great to work with in getting it resolved quickly, and at their cost. Everything I have gotten is high quality.

I have gotten one or two tools from Cleveland, and they too have high quality tools. I find them to be more expensive then ATS.

I have gotten most if not all my Clecos from MRO Tools. They have some good prices on tools as well.

Get only Avery or Cleveland dimple dies!

Clemson CARD1

It appears the Clemson CARD1 is no longer available or they are otherwise out of stock. It looks like an awesome tool to ease the whole build process. Anyone have one they are willing to part with? I have just ordered the RV-14A, delivery should begin in May 23 time frame, all slooow build...

It appears the Clemson CARD1 is no longer available or they are otherwise out of stock. It looks like an awesome tool to ease the whole build process. Anyone have one they are willing to part with? I have just ordered the RV-14A, delivery should begin in May 23 time frame, all slooow build...

Did you call Hisham about one? He may just be behind in his manufacturing.

Ebay

I started with a Cleveland RV-10 package but have been adding since. I've found a number of the more expensive things on flea-bay and saved tons over new. For example I just landed a nice Chicago Pneumatic CP5883 air riveter for blind rivets that retails for $500+ for $100. And most of the higher-end tools can be rebuilt to like new if you don't mind servicing them and replacing this and that.

I bought the basic RV-14 kit from Cleaveland and think it is a great place to start. I am now nearing completion of my empennage and I can’t imagine building without my Numatix squeezer. It seemed like a lot of money, and I am convinced it was worth every penny.

i haven’t bought a tool in a couple of weeks so I am sure I am due…

Back