What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Using an iPad in a RV-3 or RV-4

SPX

Well Known Member
Sponsor
I am finding that the layout in the RV-4 is giving me trouble to figure out where to put an iPad. First I thought about putting it on the glareshield, covering some of the instrument panel (which would really just cover a Garmin 396 in my case). But there isn't really enough glareshield to firmly mount it to. So then I thought maybe on the canopy.. but if I mount it there, it's basically in my face, and blocking a lot of my view. Sidewall? Nope; one side is occupied by the throttle/mixture, while the other has the manual trim. So, it had led me here..

Any pictures of where others are placing an iPad in an RV-3 or RV-4?

Space is limited in my -4 so I strap it to my left leg via knee board type case for the iPad. My iPad is "standard" size (not mini or pro). With my panel and layout around the stick, I couldn't fit it anywhere but on my body.

There is not much room in a 4, I initially mounted it in front of the stick but eventually went with a Guardian flush mount in the panel. Strapping it to my leg caused interference with the stick.

https://link.shutterfly.com/rCxVBby5F7

Attachments

• 92D824C4-2FF6-44C4-AE0C-99A4712D671D.jpg
    92D824C4-2FF6-44C4-AE0C-99A4712D671D.jpg
    296.3 KB · Views: 156
Mini sits on my thigh when I need it out in the RV-3 - also use it that way in my little jet, which has a smaller cockpit. There are a few different knee boards for mounting a mini if you don’t want it just sitting there….but it rarely moves for me, and if it does, I can tuck it away - I’m not generally looking at it if its bumpy!

Paul

Mini sits on my thigh when I need it out in the RV-3 - also use it that way in my little jet, which has a smaller cockpit. There are a few different knee boards for mounting a mini if you don’t want it just sitting there….but it rarely moves for me, and if it does, I can tuck it away - I’m not generally looking at it if its bumpy!

Paul

The above has been my solution so far. I find that it's not too bad to have on my thigh when I need to reference it, or just leave it on the floor to my left when I don't need it out..

Thanks; unfortunately the vast majority of those replies are from people that have other than a 3 or 4. This is a much simpler problem to solve in those aircraft. The 3 & 4 are quite constrained for space.

well I have a 4 and my reply works for me, but not sure what size screen you are sporting.

iPad in a 3 or 4

I use an iPad mini with a MyGoFlight mini kneeboard and leg strap. I have an anti glare screen protector on the mini. I keep it strapped to my left thigh as I normally fly with my right hand. I have external power available for it as needed. My mini is a cell phone version as they are the only ones that have built in GPS. But I don’t need or have a cell data service plan. Just needed the internal gps.

Nexus 7 on my thigh

I have a -4 and also find the thigh is the best place to avoid glare issue and obstruction. Been from NC to OSH and never had it fall off my thigh. Could use a knee pad for rough turbulence or acro. I have a small open glove box on my center panel console I set it in for takeoff , landing and not using. Also put a USB charge port on the top of the battery box cover that keeps charge cable low and out of the way when I need it. I have recently been using my Samsung A42 G5 phone with AVARE and it works just as good, but smaller.

IPhone

In my -3 I got used to using my iPhone in a Ram mount because of the limited space. It seemed small at first, but now that I am comfortable with the smaller screen the iPhone is my go to in everything I fly.

Rv-3 panel

This worked well on my RV-3

Attachments

• DD539ED6-D3AB-427A-A46F-59FCA869C200.jpg
    DD539ED6-D3AB-427A-A46F-59FCA869C200.jpg
    266.4 KB · Views: 219
I mounted my mini iPad out of the sun (most of the time), as shown below. There’s a USB charger in that area too.

69E1F290-13A2-4B43-BAC9-CCC7C603821C.jpg

I made a kind of mini glare shield on both RV4’s I’ve owned, which helped with sunlight pollution. (Next post)

I am finding that the layout in the RV-4 is giving me trouble to figure out where to put an iPad. First I thought about putting it on the glareshield, covering some of the instrument panel (which would really just cover a Garmin 396 in my case). But there isn't really enough glareshield to firmly mount it to. So then I thought maybe on the canopy.. but if I mount it there, it's basically in my face, and blocking a lot of my view. Sidewall? Nope; one side is occupied by the throttle/mixture, while the other has the manual trim. So, it had led me here..

Any pictures of where others are placing an iPad in an RV-3 or RV-4?

This is what I use in my RV4.
iPad Mini, & RAM swivel/ball mount so I can swing it down, out of the way when getting in/out of the seat.

attachment.php

Attachments

• RV4 Panel-iPad Mini.jpg
    RV4 Panel-iPad Mini.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 270
Left thigh

Velcroed to a home made knee board strapped to my left thigh. Power port aft of the fuel selector.

Had my mini laying on the left side floor once flying east through the Rockies #2 in a 2 ship and had it fly up in my face. Felt bad for leads wife in his backseat..was pretty rough.
Cm

Pad GPS placement

I am finding that the layout in the RV-4 is giving me trouble to figure out where to put an iPad. Any pictures of where others are placing an iPad in an RV-3 or RV-4?

RV-4: This is an iFLY 740 which is a little different size than an iPad. I have one 6 inch Ram extension with a ball mounted on the panel cross member and the other end on the fitting that attaches to the GPS. Is out-of-the-way for stick movement and can be conveniently moved to be more readable in flight. iFLY reads well in direct Sunlight. ('Pardon my dust': in the process of stringing wires and installing a Dynon D-10A and an ADS-B, etc..... The entire front end has been disassembled...!:eek:)

Attachments

• IMG812.jpg
    IMG812.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG811.jpg
    IMG811.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG810.jpg
    IMG810.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG806.jpg
    IMG806.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 108
Thank you for all of the great photos. Please keep them coming.
After trying several options, so far my preferred one is simply using my iPhone.. but open to using the iPad still, if I can find a place that works to mount it.

Where oh where.....

Thank you for all of the great photos. Please keep them coming.
After trying several options, so far my preferred one is simply using my iPhone.. but open to using the iPad still, if I can find a place that works to mount it.

You still have to mount your iPhone somewhere.......

I find the higher the unit is, the better. Mine is just a little higher than it would be on a knee board and I prefer that as eyes down in the cockpit means eyes not up looking around. It is less of a glance down than a knee board.....but a knee board (actually a thigh board) is an easy option.....

This is what I use in my RV4.
iPad Mini, & RAM swivel/ball mount so I can swing it down, out of the way when getting in/out of the seat.

attachment.php

Not to go too far off topic here, but, you have the throttle quadrant down below the panel and ahead of the stick? I don’t mean to be judgmental or anything, but that just looks awkward and awful to use… why mount it there?

Not to go too far off topic here, but, you have the throttle quadrant down below the panel and ahead of the stick? I don’t mean to be judgmental or anything, but that just looks awkward and awful to use… why mount it there?
It’s actually very comfortable.
Been flying since 2000,,

I copied from the guy who originally got me started with RVs, and my initial reaction was as yours. Looks awkward as ****.

But it works.

Here's mine, iPad mini on a Ram Mount. It's not blocking anything though, so this might not work for everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_5766.jpg
    IMG_5766.jpg
    391.8 KB · Views: 173
Back