What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for Lycoming thru stud driver

tnelson

Well Known Member
Putting together he tools to assemble our 540 and believe I have everything but the tool to tap the thru bolts into the case. Lycoming calls it an ST-317. Found those online for $1400 to $1700 which is a tad steep. I’ve read that some have made a DIY version of this, any info out there on rental/loaner?

Thanks in advance!

The Lycoming engine school uses the tool. It is nothing but a "slide hammer" that has a NUT (female threads on the end) that matches the threads of the 'thru-stud'.

It is not a tiny slide hammer but one that is a pretty good size like 10 pounds or more.

Lycoming tool rental

I sat in on a Lycoming forum this summer at Oshkosh. They stated they do rent their tools. Could check with them.

Doug
RV-7 Flying!!!

The Lycoming engine school uses the tool. It is nothing but a "slide hammer" that has a NUT (female threads on the end) that matches the threads of the 'thru-stud'.

It is not a tiny slide hammer but one that is a pretty good size like 10 pounds or more.

Gary is right about the slide hammer for REMOVING the studs - and you can make one from a standard slide hamper by welding on the right threaded nut. For ASSEMBLY, the special tool is nothing more than a chunk of steel about an inch and a half in diameter and maybe six inches long, drilled and tapped for the stud thread. You screw it on and hammer the stud in place.

Lycoming tools are stupid-expensive enough that making your own is far more sensible.

Paul

Back