What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Card Machine Works A+++ customer service!

RV8Squaz

Well Known Member
Hello all,

This is more of a review of CMW's customer service as opposed to the headset itself. I previously submitted a review of the CQ-1 and have high praise for the headset.

But for those that don't remember, I'm using the headset in a very high noise aircraft, my Extra 300S. I would actually say the noise is closer to extreme. Yes it's quite a bit noisier than any RV I have been in!

I cannot use my Bose in the Extra due to the aerobatics, sometimes up to -4g, and lack of headroom. I bet the apex of the Bose would make an excellent canopy breaker tool. I tried using a QT Halo and its mic was picking up all of the noise. I read about the repair bills of the Clarity Aloft, but didn't try those. When I received my first CQ-1, I was impressed by the superior quality over the QT. The headset was comfortable, didn't fly off my head, worked as advertised and the mic didn't pick up all of that terrible noise. Sold. I've been using it for almost two years.

I recently completed an avionics upgrade on the airplane and developed a problem that initially appeared to be a compatibility issue between the headset and the GTR 200B radio. I don't have an audio panel. Other headsets worked fine, but my CQ-1 wasn't.

I spoke with Scott and he was concerned about a Garmin software upgrade and asked me to verify the version of the hardware in my control box. He said that they have had a more recent revision and is sending me a brand new headset for testing and asked me to return the old one, no charge, no deposit, no nothing! Unfortunately, when I tested the new headset, I had the same problem. I wanted to return the new headset and keep my old one since the problem didn't appear to be headset related. After all, I did use the other one for almost two years. But he said he would rather see me with the new headset! Wow! Impressive customer service.

In the end, it turned out to be a wiring issue. My new CQ-1 is performing admirably. Thank you Scott and CMW! You guys are first class!

Jerry

Last edited:
Thank you Jerry. I'm glad it worked out. Wiring issues can be frustrating on a new install. You wouldn't imagine the number of microphone jacks that are wired backwards!

Ask me about that evolution next month in Hondo when we aren't in the air upside down in search of points :).

Back