What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil tank vent tube

Has anyone had success modifying the oil tank vent tube (FF-1218-1) in order to reduce the amount of oil film that accumulates on the aircraft belly? Wondering if changing the tube length (shorter or longer), or a 45 deg. cut on the end the tube would make any difference.. I typically have the oil level at 1/4 to 1/2 on the dipstick flat (warm burp) and am using very little oil - and that small amount is being vented out the tube.

I plan to do this for my first flights and phase 1 prior to paint. This way I minimize the belly being blasted with oil prior to paint.

I would re-think putting oil tank vent tubing into an overflow bottle. The Rotax 9-series engines are dry-sump and only use light pressure in the crankcase to scavenge oil back to the holding tank. I’m pretty sure Rotax wants oil tank vent to be completely unrestricted and discharge into negative pressure of slipstream. Any restriction in the oil tank, or increase backpressure in the oil tank, could easily upset the flow of returning oil to the tank, and worse yet, could increase pressure in the crankcase and blow out seals. You might end up having a bad day when black oil fills the windscreen….

There shouldn't be enough oil in the overflow bottle to cover the end of the vent tube.

Correct... I would not restrict the air flow from the oil tank vent in any way. I strongly suspect that Rotax wants the end of the tube in the negative pressure slipstream to keep the oil tank at a low or negative pressure to facilitate crankcase scavenging, which is marginal at best. Remember that Rotax stipulates 122F oil temperature for high speed engine operation. This is necessary so oil viscosity is low enough that egress of oil is at least equal to oil pump volume so oil does not pool and overload the crankcase. Again, a bad day when crankcase pressure overcomes the seals because drain back to tank doesn’t have sufficient flow.

How bad is the oil film? I get a little, but no drops or goo.

It's just a little, just enough to see it's there (not dripping). I usually clean it about once a month. Here we have a high-tech modern engine and we're still cleaning oil from the belly of our aircraft. Seems like Rotax should have a better solution.

It's just a little, just enough to see it's there (not dripping). I usually clean it about once a month. Here we have a high-tech modern engine and we're still cleaning oil from the belly of our aircraft. Seems like Rotax should have a better solution.

While I get ribbing from pilots in my neighborhood about my RV-12 cruise speed, I typically remind them of my fuel burn and clean aircraft belly. Do respect experimenting with things like this, but cleaning ROTAX belly oil off of my aircraft is way down the list of concerns or complaints. (Its hard to believe how little oil this engine uses between changes.)

Cars used to have a “Road Tube” which vented the crankcase. If memory serves… it was ~3/4” diameter, angled downward, with a 45 degree chamfered discharge end. Nasty…. Then in the mid 60’s the PCV valve replaced the Road Tube in the name of environmental protection. The crankcase was vented through the one-way PCV valve into the intake manifold where the fumes were mixed with carbureted fuel/air mixture and burned in the combustion process. The valves needed frequent cleaning and replacement. I doubt if an aircraft engine would be good candidate for such a high maintenance item and where crankcase pressure varies depending on altitude.

Ed, if that small amount bothers you don’t ever buy a radial engine! I used to own a Yak-52. Part of the preflight was to pull the prop through to ensure oil had not settled in the lower cylinders and caused a hydraulic lock. I remember watching a pint or so pour out of the exhaust stack sometimes! There used to be a saying about radials: if it’s not leaking oil there isn’t any in it!

Rich

Back