What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

"Audio Output Failure" Message (Skyview)

n74846

Well Known Member
Recently I've been getting humming feedback on transmission on SL-40. Now I have a message appearing, "Audio Output Failure". I am still able to transmit, but they are hearing the loud humming as well. Any ideas?

Check Coax connector in back of SL40 tray. Connector is held to tray with two screws that vibrate loose allowing Coax to become intermittent and noisy...

Last year my SL40 received just fine but when I transmitted it sounded like a double transmission, and the tower said my transmission was hard to understand. After checking all the connections I took it to an avionics shop and their bench test concluded it was over modulation. The only fix was to send it back to Garmin. $900 later Garmin replaced the circuit board (essentially the insides) and returned the radio with a 90 warranty.

It’s been working well ever since but if it goes south again I’ll be looking at a new com radio.

Thanks for the ideas. I've already had the board serviced by Garmin and until now has been fine. I will check the coax connection for anything loose. BTW, today the error message was gone, but not the noise.

Back