What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

lower cowling

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
anybody else remove one of the stops on the nosewheel and then turn nosewheel 180 deg. before slipping lower cowl into place. gives a lot more room.

i don't have a pic. just pop one of the stop bolts out of the nosegear and pivot fork so it is forward of the nosegear. when i was cutting the slot in the cowling for the nosegear i found i could get away with less slot because the aft edge of the cowling wasn't hitting the tire.

Bob,

The lower cowling is attached to a support plate with screws. That plate pretty muc closes the slot. I ended up trimming about 2” from the lower cowling aft edge to increase engine cooling. Summers in Phoenix are a killer on my engine temperatures and it helps a lot.

Rich

i did the cowl and cover plate a year ago and i turned the wheel to keep the slot in the cowl as small as possible. probably it would all be a non issue with a 2 blade prop.

Bob,

The lower cowling is attached to a support plate with screws. That plate pretty muc closes the slot. I ended up trimming about 2” from the lower cowling aft edge to increase engine cooling. Summers in Phoenix are a killer on my engine temperatures and it helps a lot.

Rich

I might want to do this... Can you post a picture so I get idea how much and where you removed material?

steerable

I did not, but a have a similar issue for you:
I removed both stops on the frontwheel to be able to turn that wheel 180 degrees when pushing it back into the hangar. I'm all the way back so it soes pay off.
And it did.
The day after I put the plane outside, just to discover it was in the way of another club member's plane.
So, I pushed her back a bit more, wheel pant about 7 o' clock.
After that I got in and started the plane, only to hear a horrible noise coming from up front!
Inspection showed the prop-tip just barely touched the wheel pant. The bucket-like form made the noise be very loud! Just some paint scuffed off the pant, non of the prop.
Through the eye of the needle. Again.

I put the stops on again and am happy to push her backwards.
Fairly nice and well thought design, this ' 12.

kind of like some guys say about their towbar........if my hand isn't on it, it is not attached to the plane.

If you get one of the small furniture dollys from HF you can put your front wheel on it and you can move the plane easily. You may want to cut a couple sloped blocks so the wheel site nice and doesn’t make dents in the tire. You have to push down on the horz stab to get the dolly under it but after a few tries it works great.

I just noticed you are in Neatherlands. PM me and I can send you more info if you need it.

I did not, but a have a similar issue for you:
I removed both stops on the frontwheel to be able to turn that wheel 180 degrees when pushing it back into the hangar. I'm all the way back so it soes pay off.
And it did.
The day after I put the plane outside, just to discover it was in the way of another club member's plane.
So, I pushed her back a bit more, wheel pant about 7 o' clock.
After that I got in and started the plane, only to hear a horrible noise coming from up front!
Inspection showed the prop-tip just barely touched the wheel pant. The bucket-like form made the noise be very loud! Just some paint scuffed off the pant, non of the prop.
Through the eye of the needle. Again.

I put the stops on again and am happy to push her backwards.
Fairly nice and well thought design, this ' 12.

Last edited:
i did the cowl and cover plate a year ago and i turned the wheel to keep the slot in the cowl as small as possible. probably it would all be a non issue with a 2 blade prop.

Aha!.... The rest of the story..... as Paul Harvey would to say.....:rolleyes:

Back