What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Remote Canopy Release From Mothership

I never liked how the original release handle limited the options for panel layout, so I always questioned how necessary it was.

This alternate location is a good solution, but I've also seen people who deleted the whole mechanism. Can anyone share their pros/cons for deleting/including?

Thanks!

I never liked how the original release handle limited the options for panel layout, so I always questioned how necessary it was.

This alternate location is a good solution, but I've also seen people who deleted the whole mechanism. Can anyone share their pros/cons for deleting/including?

Thanks!

I believe the FAA requires a way to quickly depart the aircraft if it is to be used for aerobatics (e.g., quick release hinges on Cessna Aerobat). The RV-14 is aerobatic. Why limit its capabilities by removing the release?

Last edited:
Ordered mine. I have enough lead time problems without adding another item I want to the wait list.

That’s a quarter of an AMU!

The cable is $135 on their store. Struggling to see how the other little bits all add up!

I think that the fuses that are in my angled center console are deep enough to interfere with the cable coming through the hole underneath. I think this would require careful placement of lower fuses in the middle of that panel.

I believe the FAA requires a way to quickly depart the aircraft if it is to be used for aerobatics (e.g., quick release hinges on Cessna Aerobat). The RV-14 is aerobatic. Why limit its capabilities by removing the release?

That's why I asked for pros/cons in order to make a decision. Good to know!

With that kit, you could probably relocate the handle to a wide variety of places. If you weren't worried about the passenger reaching it, you could put it on the pilot's side outside wall, recessed into a panel with the hardware they provide.

I am not sure that it is an FAA requirement for aerobatics but it is one for IAC if you want to compete.

This may not seem like a big issue while building but competition aerobatics is a blast that everyone should try.

i would keep the canopy release for two reasons , 1st. as an aerobatic ship quick release is required. 2nd, incase of engine failure over water, your guaranteed to be upside down. i would release the canopy just before impact to ease the escape to the surface.

i would keep the canopy release for two reasons , 1st. as an aerobatic ship quick release is required. 2nd, incase of engine failure over water, your guaranteed to be upside down. i would release the canopy just before impact to ease the escape to the surface.

If the canopy came off before you hit the water and the nose of the aircraft dug in, what would the force of the water do to one's head?

In the above scenario, what would happen if you release the canopy using the normal latch just prior to touchdown. Has anyone inadvertently opened the canopy inflight? My guess is it would open an inch or so but might serve the same purpose. Either way I installed the release on my plane.

Eric

Ordered one, and received the kit about a week later. Really like this option to relocate the release handle.

Anyone know why if you add all the kit contents to the cart it’s only $195? (Not $245). And you only need either 1452B or C so it’s actually $175.

$50 for the printed plans?

Is there any issue buying all the bits seperate? (It’s $100 savings in my currency doing it this way).

Attachments

• 221F7F41-5587-4933-B4FC-ED6084A2211D.jpeg
    221F7F41-5587-4933-B4FC-ED6084A2211D.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 111
Back