What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend (10/30/21 - 10/31/21)?

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
I had the honor of giving an 11-yr old his first ride in a small plane Saturday evening. Saw four sunsets, climbing a little after each one to have it pop back up. Experienced astronomy in real time. And yeah, that's him doing the flying <g>.

After landing there was just enough light to give his Mom a five minute ride around the pattern (her first ride in a small plane also).

Hard to top being right there when someone gets to experience that milestone formative flight. Never gets old.

v/r,dr

IMG_4554-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Another 1st RV Grin

At our neighborhood picnic last week, a friend asked me to give a ride to the son of folks moving into our airpark. They aren't pilots, but are ready to support the airpark and maybe add a pilot to the mix as their son is interested in getting his pilot's license. We spent some time motoring around the sky and having a ball. First time in a small airplane. The mother wrote me a couple hours after the flight with the words her son told her, "that is the coolest thing I have ever done in my life." MISSION SUCCESS!

2021103119331602-6463632448041974818-IMG_1638-M.jpg

Flying with friends!

I got back into the formation saddle. On wing from Bankstown to Shellharbour, lunch, then leading back to Bankstown.

Between having the plane out of the air for upgrades and then COVID lockdowns, it's been about 9 months since my last formation flight.

I thought I'd be rusty as heck, but I seemed to slot right in. It's like falling off a bike, you never forget how to do it :)

Then I went to Goulburn and back to make sure my AVGAS bill is big enough. Learned a few more things about the new G3X Touch system; Each flight at the moment is an incipient test flight with a mission objective to try out a new feature, yesterday's was using the G3X to set the OBS course on the 430W.

The photo is my formation throttle-finger blister. Sporting injury. :D

- mark

Attachments

• IMG_4569.jpg
    IMG_4569.jpg
    250.3 KB · Views: 218
I had the honor of giving an 11-yr old his first ride in a small plane Saturday evening. Saw four sunsets, climbing a little after each one to have it pop back up. Experienced astronomy in real time. And yeah, that's him doing the flying <g>.

After landing there was just enough light to give his Mom a five minute ride around the pattern (her first ride in a small plane also).

Hard to top being right there when someone gets to experience that milestone formative flight. Never gets old.

v/r,dr

IMG_4554-XL.jpg

Well done! This is what flying is about! Sharing the experience with others less fortunate. It's such a privilege to be able to fly. Even more so in your own RV.

I managed to get out this weekend (lately a rarity) and after the ground fog burned off I flew to Perris for the first time. It has been on my list of local airports to visit and I just haven't had the excuse to go there. I had texted another RV pilot on if he had plans to fly, and it turns out he was in Paris (France).

The Perris airport is primarily a skydiving operation and is tucked in close to the March AFB Class C. I had lunch at the Bombshelter restaurant on the field and it was pretty decent. Got to see plenty of parachuting going on.

small victories adding up...

I didn't do anything as cool as giving a future aviator their first ride but I did convince my ez pilot to play nice with my Garmin 660. That was worth an hour flight in beautiful fall weather.
danny

On Sunday took 7 kinds on rides as part of EAA chapter VA25 Young Eagles program out of KSAC. Some post-frontal puffy clouds cropped up during the day and made for some fun 'around the clouds' flying. One teenage lass flew quite well around the puffys and got a rare experience for YE flights in CA.

No pics, sorry, just the memory.

Spent good amount of time this weekend while working on my overhead panel fabrication. Now I understand why it cost $$$ to buy one.

Attachments

• EE1F1F02-418E-48C9-803F-C5C0F113007F.jpg
    EE1F1F02-418E-48C9-803F-C5C0F113007F.jpg
    535 KB · Views: 274
Celebration of life Missing Man Tribute for long time Pecan Plantation resident
Barry Boatman. RIP.

Attachments

• C3C3EC11-0A95-4CBB-BFAF-381C0DF9A746.jpg
    C3C3EC11-0A95-4CBB-BFAF-381C0DF9A746.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 211
Back