What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Drilling holes in little tiny spaces

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
In the avionics kit, chapter 42 Page 8 Figure 1 has you enlarging a hole to 5/16 of an inch. This really should have been an instruction way earlier in the instructions because it is very difficult to get anything in there to drill a straight hole. Observe:

PXL_20220514_223545369.jpg

You have approximately four and a half inches of room to work or roughly the width of two wing spars.

It seems like a right angle drill would be the idea here but I don't have one that will fit in there and I'm wondering if anybody else has reached this point and has a solution and if so and it requires a particular tool which one are you using?

This might be an artifact of fuselage kits from before the avionics kit was available.

Last edited:
In my plans, which were earlier than yours (6/11/18, revision. 0), the hole was 3/16” and it used an SB187-2 bushing. It was tight running the wires, but they did fit. So, assuming it’s still the 3/16” hole you’re being asked to drill out, and you can’t get a bit in there, you might just try installing an SB187-2 and seeing if the wires fit ok.

Have you tried a right angle drill attachment? The aviation ones are pretty small with threaded bits so no chuck.

Back