What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

912 ULS alternator advice

Jcurry

Well Known Member
Hey guys,
My alternator has always come online at idle right after starting.
2 flights ago it did not come online until I bumped the throttle up to around 3k. It then functioned normally.
Yesterday when I went to fly, it would not come online no matter how much I advanced the throttle. I decided to taxi back to the hangar when for no apparent reason it came online. I flew and it functioned normally.
Today it would not come online at all. I checked and cleaned the connector going to the voltage regulator. No help. Checked battery connections and ground going to airframe. No issues noted.
No obvious issues with wiring. Has anyone had a voltage regulator fail with the symptoms I've mentioned? I've heard these regulators are prone to failure but I don't know how they fail. Can they become intermittent or do they just fail?
My VR is mounted in the engine compartment.
Any ideas welcome.
Thank you

If you have original Ducati VR then, all of the above. There are several VAF threads dedicated to replacement VR's...

If you have original Ducati VR then, all of the above. There are several VAF threads dedicated to replacement VR's...

I am attempting to read them all. My VR is a 2011 Ducati with 162 hours.
I am trying to locate the part number for the JD VR
If anyone has a link.
Thanks

No, the connector block does not work with the John Deere VR. See photo below for individual push-on connectors. I mounted my JD VR on a thick aluminum sub-plate for better heat dissipation. Use thermal paste on the mounting surface for heat transfer. The sub-plate is raised above the firewall shelf to allow airflow underneath.

My original Ducati VR packed it in at 100TT and JD VR is continuing its fine effort still at 750TT...
-

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 3.06.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-05-06 at 3.06.24 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 184
No, the connector block does not work with the John Deere VR. See photo below for individual push-on connectors. I mounted my JD VR on a thick aluminum sub-plate for better heat dissipation. Use thermal paste on the mounting surface for heat transfer. The sub-plate is raised above the firewall shelf to allow airflow underneath.
My original Ducati VR packed it in at 100TT and JD VR is continuing its fine effort still at 750TT...
-

Thank you Jim! My VR is elevated via bushing spacers and I have the blast tube installed.
I believe I will copy your install. Thank you.

Symptons

Hey guys,
I saw several post where the poster said their VR started exhibiting signs of impending failure.
Other than the volt and ammeter waving at you, I'm just wondering what the most common symptoms are that the VR is going to fail? And has anyone had my symptoms stated in my original post?

Thank you

I had my Ducati VR fail just before 200 hours, I re located the new one inside the cockpit on the firewall on pilot's side using a few washers to hold it off the firewall for no heat transfer from firewall. I used 12 point bolts for ease of removal. I carry a spare VR in a fly away kit. So far I have put about 300 hours on it. I believe the major problem with failures is heat related, I also pinched the blade connectors for a tighter fit which can cause issues if loose, so far so good.

Service Letter SL-00034

This is to upgrade to the latest Vans regulator kit.
It based on the new B&C regulator.
I upgraded when to it when it first came out and so far no problems.
You can check it out on the Vans website. I forgot the price but it wasn’t cheap.

search eBay for AM101406, or MIA881279, or JDR1406
Price as low as $20

Hi Joe,
Thank's for the recommendation.

I ordered 3 regulators from 3 different places. 1st one worked perfectly and is installed. 2nd one works so so (makes 13.5 volts) and is my backup for now. The 3rd one would go over 15+ volts. Shelved it.
I relocated the regulator from the engine compartment to the pax side cockpit.
I noticed on the 1st flight that the VR was very hot to the touch.
Before the 2nd flight, I prepped for a temporary experiment. I taped a piece of clear 1/2" flexible tubing to the bottom of the instrument panel with one end pointed at the VR. I placed the other end of the tubing into the lower part of pax vent barely extending into the airstream. The airflow out of the tube was excellent and kept the VR at a nice temperature where you could easily leave your hand on it. If I need to shut the pax vent for any reason, I simply pull the tube out and close it.
Has anyone else done something like this?

Thanks

This is to upgrade to the latest Vans regulator kit.
It based on the new B&C regulator.
I upgraded when to it when it first came out and so far no problems.
You can check it out on the Vans website. I forgot the price but it wasn’t cheap.

Did you do the full SL? NACA scoop and all?
My Ducati VR is in the cockpit and I don't want to mess with cutting the upper cowl.

Back